“It's all true”
Review of Alegria in Mexico

Alegria in Mexico
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Ruth Alegria Tours/Mexico Soul & Essence ranked among the top 5 cooking schools in Mexico by Saveur magazine. For every season in Mexico, there is a celebration whose main focus is the cuisine and rituals of that place and time. Join with the people and communities who celebrate and preserve their culinary traditions.Immersing cultural travelers and cuisine lovers to the culture, gastronomy, art and history of Mexico. Discover the pleasures of Mexican cuisine while learning how to prepare its most iconic dishes. Culinary Institute of America Market tour The Culture Trip - Best cooking classes Mexico City
Reviewed 8 February 2013

As I began to think about what to say about Ruth's tour of the Jamaica Market, I read through some of the other reviews and there isn't much I can add. Ruth is extremely gracious and passionate about food expecially Mexican food. It is a real treat to go through the market with her was an experience I shall long remember. I highly recommend Ruth's tours to anyone who loves Mexican food as much as she does - and even to people who may have decided that they don't like Mexican food. She has a real zest for life in Mexico City and it comes across in her tours.

Reviewed 4 February 2013

My friends and I only had a day and a half to experience DF. We were just coming off of a two week Food Studies Abroad program and were looking to continue our search for authenticity and Mexican cuisine. We were recommended to take a day trip with Ruth. We met her around 9 at her beautiful house and she took us in and prepped us for the long day ahead. She took us around the city and if you know anything about DF, that is no small feat. All the while we were in transit, we were kept interested and active from Ruth's in depth knowledge of, well, just about everything. The magic began when we hit the first market. We had tamales worth dying for. She ushered us through the market, stopping at only the best stalls. She led us to the best Huitlachoche quesadillas, the best Tlacoyos, and the finest mole stands. We had the chance to speak spanish, but she did a perfect job of translating for my friend who spoke none. By the end of the day we had visited two markets, had enough food for three meals, filled our brains to capacity and had goods to take home—I jumped on a nice comal that Ruth graciously passed on to me. If you are looking for authenticity in Mexican cuisine, culture, and history, Ruth is the person you need to call. She even brought us back to her house and cooked us a late lunch be we were on our way. A true mother, chef, and epicurean, Ruth will make you wish you had never bought a return flight home.

2  Thank mwallace510
Mayauel, Owner at Alegria in Mexico, responded to this reviewResponded 6 February 2013

Thank you for your review!

Reviewed 22 January 2013

My husband and I met Ruth behind our hotel on a Sunday morning for a glorious day in Xochimilco. She arrived early and we had a tour of Mexico City on our way to Xochimilco. (You need a driver and tour guide to go there because the subway journey would take too long.) We were in for a treat. Ruth is so passionate about Mexican culture and food. We spent time in one of their lovely churches, talked to the locals at the market,and explored Museo Dlores Olmedo through Ruth's eyes. With Ruth's expertise, we purchased three different moles to use back home. (Be sure to put those in checked baggage!) We tasted the best tamales ever because Ruth knows the cook gets up in the middle of the night to make these delicacies. With Ruth, she understands art history, culture, and food through a local eye because she's lived in Mexico City for over a decade. Of course, she speaks fluent Spanish. We look forward to our next tour with Ruth Alegria.

2  Thank ceefair
Reviewed 21 January 2013

I was only able to spend 1 day with Ruth, but it changed my experience of Mexico completely. The depth of her knowledge is incredible, for anyone who is interested in learning the basics or way more this is how to do it!

Don't bother going to the markets on your own, you'll miss out on 90% of the interesting tales and bits of info Ruth has to offer. For a food writer & stylist, this was incredibly important to me and I can only say it exceeded every expectation I had; and allowed me to leave with a basic but firm grounding of knowledge in the rich tapestry of Mexican cooking.
Thank you, Ruth!

1  Thank jules m
Reviewed 15 January 2013

We emailed Ruth about having a culinary tour with her less than a week before arriving on her doorstep. Despite the short notice and her many obligations (she's a very popular woman), we were met with a level of accommodation and warmth that could only be afforded to family members. In our email correspondences, Ruth asked us exactly what our culinary backgrounds and expectations were for our class and then proceeded to exceed them in every way when we met with her. She is extremely knowledgeable about every facet of Mexico's culinary history and well-versed in the kitchen. It is a pleasure to be around her and an honor for the chance to gain even a small fraction of her wisdom.

Our tour started with a visit to the Jamaica market where Ruth knows all the vendors and shows you how to pick out the best of the produce and dry products available. She introduced us to many new food items and gave us multiple tastes of some standouts along the way. It was great to see how one goes about buying the ingredients that will go into one's cooked meal later; it adds a whole different element to a cooking class. Though she had a set menu, she altered her offerings based upon what she saw was the best available in the markets. In doing so, she ensured the best quality food and experience for us. More than just talk about food, she taught us about Mexican culture and traditions, helping us to better fit in with our surroundings. Her charm comes alive in the markets; everyone seems to adore her. Her home is just as inviting as she is and the class itself was very organized and engaging. She is attentive to all details in the kitchen and focuses your attention to them as well -- sights, smells, tastes. We made multiple dishes together and enjoyed a casual lunch (comida) with her friend and her granddaughter over the kind of conversations that you only have with good friends. At the end of our experience, she went above and beyond and helped to plan the rest of our day. I can't imagine having enjoyed Mexico City without her help. It was a one-of-a-kind experience that I highly recommend.

1  Thank Brian N