“Wouldn't stay here again”
Review of Hotel Canada

Hotel Canada
Ranked #229 of 312 Hotels in Mexico City
Reviewed 8 September 2011

Rooms very small and smelly, window loooking into other rooms.

Beds tinny and very uncomfortable. Bathroom very old, not nice at all.

Wouldn't stay again.

Cockroaches in room.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 12 November 2010

First I have to say the location is great! Just a few (about 2 or 3) blocks from the Zocalo. I've been several times in Mexico City and I wouln't mind to return to this hotel. Located at one of the main streets of historical center, is minutes away from everything.
I had to call to make the reservation because I didn't get an answer from them by e-mail.The bed was kind of hard and the pillows were kind of thin, but if you are like me and walk around the city all day long, it won't be a problem (you'll be too tired to notice it). We changed our room because the first one was too small, the staff kindly took care of changing all our stuff and everything was there.Advertising says free breakfast included, but I would recommend to have it somewhere else. The hotel's "restaurant" is at the top floor and it is too small for all the guests. This hotel is not the Ritz, but it is a nice place to have a sleep and rest. I would recommend this hotel for people in a tight budget looking for a place to rest at nights.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 May 2010

The rooms are comfortable and the breakfast is good. It is located in the historical center, so very easy to reach everything.
However I wouldn't recommend this hotel because I know for sure the staff has stolen some clothes out off my backpack. When I went to the reception to tell them, suddenly nobody understood English ... I got my Spanish phrasebook to translate, but they didn't do anything about this problem!

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank Sara_VP
Reviewed 23 March 2010

When I visited Hotel Canada and spent $445 pesos for one night, on a Saturday. It's not a bad price, but there are many other hotels in the area for half of the price of this one. The room itself was pretty comfortable. The walls are paper thin. I could hear the ladies in other room talk for a few hours as well as someone else consummating their relationship. Other than being double the price and the walls being thin, the hotel was up to my standards.

Note: When I stayed, I was given a voucher for a free breakfast. I was a little impatient but the dining area wasn't very large making the wait time go up.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 February 2010

We stayed here for four nights in Feb 2010. The room was small, but clean and everything was in good shape. The shower was excellent with lots of hot water. We were on the 5th floor with a great view over the street. We were not bothered by street noise. A good breakfast is included and made to order. The serving staff are unfriendly and curt (except for Jonathan), but the food was good.

Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank RobTor
Reviewed 28 January 2010

I'm used of cockroaches in Mexico but I couldn't sleep in bedroom where we saw more than 5 of them during the day within a short time span. Granted our friend's room seem to be just fine. We tried to switch rooms, but we saw another one in another room. So we decided to switch hotels to get a good night sleep. The Hotel Canada staff were cool about it and gave us a full refund. So overall, if you're looking for a hotel with a great location, extremely affordable, no frills and don't mind roaches than this is your place to stay. But I won't be going back.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank creative2010
Reviewed 24 April 2009

We stayed one night in January on our way home from Oaxaca. The staff is warm and welcoming, and the desk personnel speak English.

We had Room 613, I believe, a very small corner room on the top floor of rooms (only the breakfast room is on a higher floor). It was simple, with a king bed, with large windows on two sides. It was a little tricky maneuvering around the bed and especially, the TV set on the overhead shelf.

There was a lot of street noise, as one would expect from the location on one of the Centro's busiest intersections. (That's why we carry earplugs.)

I'm quite sure we paid over $600 pesos, so except for the location, it's no bargain. Breakfast was included as an additional option. At first we opted out, with myriad restaurants closeby, but as my wife had a bad cold, and I a lesser one, it was easier to stay in the hotel and have what turned out to be a very nice breakfast in the sunny breakfast dining room. (The excellent Jugos Canadá is next door; Café El Popular, almost across the street, and Café La Blanca about a block west, among others recommended.)

The advertised wi-fi didn't work in the room, but the friendly receptionist set me up with a cable to hook me up in the lobby area. (This is a common problem with several Mexican hotels in which we've stayed. The wi-fi is advertised as a "service" but often doesn't work.)

So, my impressions of the hotel may be clouded somewhat by the fact that both of us arrived tire and with colds. The location is unbeatable if you want to be in the very center of the historic part of the city. There are countless restaurants and shops of all descriptions within easy walking distance.

Now I can compare the Hotel Canadá with the larger and much more spacious Hotel Gillow nearby, where we stayed in September, 2008 (see review). The prices are similar but the Gillow gives much more space and comfort.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple