“Great Price, Great Location, Great Staff”

Hotel Del Principado
Ranked #87 of 305 Hotels in Mexico City
McKinney, Texas
“Great Price, Great Location, Great Staff”
Reviewed 3 August 2012

I don't think it would be possible to find another hotel of the same quality in this price range in Mexico City. I have stayed at hotels in Mexico City which costs two or three times as much but I keep returning to Hotel Del Principado. The only reason I ever stay at another hotel is if Hotel Del Principado if full and I can't get a reservation. I read through the reviews and find some people complaining about little things or demanding amenities one would only expect at a much more expensive hotel. I agree with a previoius poster. If you can't live without the chocolate on your pillow when you return at night don't stay at the Hotel Del Principado. If you want a hotel with a friendly, courteous, professional staff; very clean rooms and public areas; a good breakfast including in the already incredibly inexpensive room rate; extremely comfortable beds and sheets; plenty of hot water; great location; free wireless internet; free parking: free bottled spring water in each room on a daily basis; I would highly recomment Hotel Del Principado.

I stay in the hotel often and when I return I am greeted by the staff and many call me by name. I have never had a problem with a lost reservation nor a room that had a bad odor. Granted the property is not new and there might be a crack in a tile from time to time but these are not major problems and overall the property is in very good shape.

The hotel offers free internet which works very well as a rule. The room service menu is large and I have never ordered anything which I did not enjoy and the room service prices are good. If you leave the hotel and go to the left there is a 7/11 in the next block, on the corner and the hotel does not mind if you bring back milk or a beer. In front of the 7/11 in the next block is a taco stand which is open 24 hours daily and they have very good, cheap tacos. Next to the taco stand is a juice stand with fresh juices which are very good and fresh squeezed. Around the corner from the juice stand (about twenty feet away) is a stand which makes tortas, etc and the food there is very good and very inexpensive. There are two or three restaurants, good inexpensive traditional Mexican good, in the same block as the 7/11. There are two bakeries, coffee shops in the same block as the 7/11. There is a pharmacy on the corner near the hotel if you need anything. I buy calling cards there to use to make long distance calls to the US; about 300 minutes for $10 US. The hotel does not charge for local calls unless to a cell phone (very reasonable rates). All of the things I listed above are within a two minute walk from the hotel.

The hotel can get a taxi for you or they have their own driver who can take you where you need to go and is no more expensive than a Sitio taxi. There are also plenty of taxis on the streets in the area if you wish to use them. The Metrobus runs on Insurgentes which is only a five minute walk (in the same direction as the 7/11) and the Insurgentes metro stop is about a six to eight minute walk from the hotel. If you enjoy the nightlife in the Zona Rosa it is almost at the door of the hotel.

Lastly, on one visit mosquitos were a problem but the hotel took care of that right away. Most buildings in Mexico do not have screens on the windows so mosquitos can be a common problem. On my recent stay at the hotel mosquitos were no longer an issue as the hotel had installed a small device in each room which kept the mosquitos away. Also the hotel is installing screens on the windows so the mosquito issue is a thing of the past.

There is absolutely nothing negative to say about this hotel and I am looking forward to my next visit to Mexico City and Hotel Del Principado.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
6 Thank IHateNoice

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Toronto
Reviewed 31 July 2012

Hotel is 2 and a half blocks east of the lively Zona Rosa area. It's separated by Insurgentes Ave. To get to the Insurgentes Metro, walk 2 and a half blocks west and 3 blocks south. Breakfast really has fresh fruit and fresh squeezed juice. Some Holiday Inns and Hampton Inns in US have fruit salad with preservative and microwaved breakfast. The desk manager Gabriel provides service at least the level of any Hilton or Sheraton. For those who complain, they should pay more and go elsewhere.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank review888
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 14 July 2012

This is a little GREAT hotel. I am a frequent traveler to Mexico, and I have stayed at very many hotels, and to tell you the truth this is THE winner....you may have followed my reviews, well I have learned that this is the best price quality ratio nowadays.
Staff is ALWAYS friendly...Enjoy !

Room Tip: Rooms not facing the street are quieter.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank LouTor
Lima, Peru
Reviewed 31 May 2012

I stayed in this hotel for a few days, after returning from Quintana Roo. I chose this hotel because it has been selected as a Travelers Choice winner. The room does not have an air conditioning device, only a ventilator, so the temperature level may affect your sleep quality. The shower handle was broken and, when I used it, I burned my fingers. I asked Reception to fix it, but, after two days, I was still waiting. So put a towel over the shower handle to use it.
Oh... the first day... Reception assigned me a room but the next day there was a problem with the pipelines so they assigned me another room.
There were computers available near the lobby but the Internet connection was so slow... It's strange because I used the Wi-Fi connection for my portable device and it was fast.

Room Tip: None of the rooms are good.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 26 May 2012

Me and my wife decided to go to Mexico City from Cancun at the last minute so due to the great reviews we found on tripadvisor,we decide to stay at this hotel. We could not be any happier! It's close to the Zona Rosa...Reforma and even the historic center if you like walking. I was suprised that the hotel was very clean, my room was great,comportable bed,hot shower, tv and overall it meet my expectation especially for the good low price. The staff was good too! The receptionist even helped us set up tours and recommended us to alot of places nearby. I definitely had a great stay and deff. would stay there again!

• Stayed May 2012
1 Thank daniboy899
Jerusalem, Israel
Reviewed 11 May 2012

In March 2012, we spent three nights in the hotel.
The hotel in a center place, but still very quiet.
The hotel is clean, order and the services are great.

I recommend to visit this hotel

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank LioraR
Cancun, Mexico
Reviewed 27 April 2012

I needed to do a few things in Mexico City and did not want to spend lot in the hotel. Based on the reviews I saw I decided to book this hotel.

This is a great hotel if you are looking only for a place to spend the night, it has a great location (two blocks away from Avenida Insurgentes and 10 minutes walking distance from Metro Insurgentes) there are many places you can visit within walking distance such as “Zona Rosa” and “Reforma Avenue”.

The price was fair, the rooms are clean they do not have a safety deposit box but you can request one at the front desk. The beds are not the most conformable and the TV did not work most of the times, also they do not have AC so it can get a bit hot at night. However and taking in consideration it is a budget Hotel I can not complain. The place was CLEAN and the staff is the greatest asset for the place they were extremely friendly and always helped me with my questions.

Room tip: if you have a hard time at night sleeping stay away from the first floor it is a bit loud.

So if you are on a budget and just need a place to sleep I would definitely recommend this place.

Room Tip: if you have a hard time at night sleeping stay away from the first floor it is a bit loud.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled solo