“budget, run-down, good location”
Review of Hotel Diligencias

Hotel Diligencias
Ranked #140 of 310 Hotels in Mexico City
London, United Kingdom
“budget, run-down, good location”
Reviewed 24 August 2012

The only reason why I chose Hotel Diligencias was its location and unavailability of other hotels (I made a booking a couple of hours before my arrival on the same day). It's located two blocks away from the Palacio de bellas artes so the location is fine.

The hotel itself is pretty old and run-down, the reception desks looks like what I guess was fine 50 yrs ago, there is no lobby either. It's really a budget place you would expect, just a bit worse. Unlike other places in D.F., the prices on the internet are higher than the ones listed (I payed approx 15% more than the listed price). My room was really tiny and it was a "King Room". Now, I have seen pretty small rooms in Japan but the one in Hotel Diligencias could easily compete with those, there's just no way you can open your suitcase properly without rearranging some 'furniture'. Apparently they don't show much respect for the kings around there. Other than that, the room looked OK, sufficiently clean and tidy. The bathroom was just ugly. Ugly, tiny and outdated (the 'windows' were disgustingly ugly). The shower was OK. The smaller of the two towels didn't look clean.

All in all, I stayed in the room for 2 hours in total (I had to catch my flight early in the morning) and it did the job alright. I knew it wouldn't be any good so I wasn't that disappointed. I could have gotten a much better hotel for the same money (further to the west) or for just a little more but closer to Zocalo (e.g. Ritz Tulip Inn where I stayed many yrs ago).

To conclude, it's an OK hotel if you don't have any other place to go. I would never stay there again and while I don't advise against it, I don't recommend it either.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Ixxo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
San Francisco, CA
Reviewed 15 November 2009

Hotel Diligencias confirmed my reservation via email for 3 nights, 2 people, 1 bed. When I arrived, they couldn't find my reservation and they did not have a room with a single bed available. For the first night, they put us in a room with 2 beds, but charged us the 1 bed price. When we were changing rooms on the second night, they said they would have to charge us extra because we used both beds. The difference in price was only about 30 pesos, which we paid, but it was just bad service. The staff in general were not very helpful or very friendly.

It is a decent hotel considering how cheap it is. And it is conveniently located close to the Belles Artes station. I would only stay here if I were on a very tight budget.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank porkaholic
New Delhi
Reviewed 3 January 2009

I broke two of my own cardinal rules of travel when I checked into the Hotel Diligencias on a trip to Mexico City last month: 1. I picked a hotel with just one review; 2. I didn't prebook. No matter, because the Diligencias turned out to be one of my best ever hotel picks. Here's why:

Price - Rooms range from 290 Pesos for one person to 490 Pesos for six. That's between $21/€15/£14 and $36/€26/£25. The hotel can be booked through a number of popular hotel reservation sites on the Net for just a fraction above the hotel's rack rate.

Accommodation - The hotel offers good basic budget accommodation. The rooms are spotlessly clean, adequately sized and comfortable. Our room, which as was triple, came with a safe, bedside radio, ceiling fan, colour TV with terestrial channels, a desk and ample storage. The en-suite shower room was furnished with a hairdryer and stocked- up with complimentary towels, soaps, shampoos and two bottles of mineral water on a daily basis, which I thought was a nice touch. I am pretty sure all the rooms feature these amenities, but please be sure to check before booking. Unlike many other hotel websites, the rooms at the Diligencias look just as they do on their site, which makes a refreshing change (www.hoteldiligencias.com/index2.htm).

Location - In a word, unbeatable! Noise pollution is a major factor when considering a place to stay in the city. Luckily the Diligencias is set back far enough from Eje Central Lázaro Cárdenas to mitigate the worst of the noise from this busy artery. And, unlike some other hotels, we hardly heard a murmur from our fellow guests. In fact, the worse we had to contend with was the early morning chirping of birds in the tree outside our window. There was a fabulous bakery right next door to the hotel, which stayed open until late, a 24 hour pharmacy across the street and a late night OXXO convenience store just around the corner that had seating, a coffee machine and a microwave for the use of customers. The Bellas Artes metro station (line 2; blue) was less than 5 minutes walk from the hotel; the Torre Latinoamerica, Palacio Bellas Artes and Sears department store were all less then 10 minutes away; the Zocalo could be reached in less than 15 minutes on foot. I think you will be hard pressed to come up with a more conveniently located hotel in the city; all the ones that are more central are on much noisier streets.

Staff - The reception desk seemed to be manned by three different shifts, all of whom were polite and helpful. The same can be said for the restaurant staff. We barely saw the chambermaids, but they were very efficient and cleaned the rooms thoroughly on a daily basis. Please be aware that most Chilangos (residents of Mexico City) barely speak a word of English, and the staff at the hotel were no exception, so make sure you brush up on your Spanish or take phrase book with you.

Safety - Stick to the Eje central Lázaro Cárdenas to get to and from the hotel and you should be fine. The road buzzes with activity at all hours of the day and night; we didn't feel vulnerable once. Apart from the Eje Central, the streets around the hotel were fine during the day, but slightly eerie - rather than unsafe - in the evenings. Plaza Garibaldi, traditional haunt of the city's Mariachi singers, is a couple of blocks north of the hotel. The square itself is fine, but the streets around it are notoriously unsafe, especially at night. Under no circumstances should tourists walk around them alone.

Miscellaneous - You have to pay 200 Pesos to store your valuables in your room safe, but it costs nothing to use the one at the main reception desk. Check out is at 1pm. Bags can be stored in the reception area, if you are leaving later than the check out time. We ordered a taxi to the airport through the hotel. It wasn't one of the secure taxi services recommended in all the guide books, admitedly, but the driver was punctual and polite and the car clean and modern, not one of the clapped-out red and white ones you see plying for trade on the streets. We paid 160 Pesos for the 30 minute trip to the airport. There is a basic internet PC in lobby that guests can use for 10 Pesos a go.

Dislikes - The hot water took a while to come through the taps and the shower head. The hotel's restaurant was a little overpriced for what it offered, especially the breakfast. The outside of the hotel really didin't do the place justice. You shouldn't really have to pay extra to use your room safe. The easy chairs in our room were slightly stained. The blankets we were provided with would have been inadequate, had there been a serious cold snap. The storage area for bags could gave been a little more secure (our bags were simply tagged and left near the reception desk).

There was just one review of this hotel on Trip Advisor when I booked, so I was understandably a little nervous about committing. However, having spent a very pleasant and comfortable week in the hotel, I can confirm that the Diligencias is an absolute steal for anyone looking for 3 star comfort at 2 star prices. A real Mexico City gem!

• Liked — Good basic accommodation at a bargain price.
  • Disliked — You had to pay extra to use your room safe. The hotel restaurant was a little overpriced.
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank Swaranjit
San Francisco
Reviewed 28 January 2008

I have stayed several times at Hotel Diligencias, a six-floor unpretentious, modernish (but not glitzy) hotel about four blocks from the central square (Zocalo), three blocks from Plaza Garibaldi, and two blocks from the Palacio des Belles Artes and Alameda Park. For 35 USD you can have a king size bed in a large, clean room, with private bath and bottled water. The staff are exceedingly helpful. A bargain-priced restaurant and bar is on the premises. As with many areas in Mexico City, you always have to be careful in Mexico City's historic district, but if you don't want to pay Zona Rosa prices or shop at expensive shops, I highly recommend this hotel.

• Liked — combination of price and quality
  • Disliked — closing of bar at 10:30 PM
  • Stayed January 2008, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
3 Thank billygoat33
Hdiligencias, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Diligencias, responded to this review, 27 August 2015
We are happy to know that you enjoyed your stay at our hotel and appreciate you taking the time to leave a comment about our services. We are looking forward to welcoming you again at our hotel soon.
Warm regards from Mexico City on behalf of the entire team.