“Great value hotel”

Ranked #59 of 306 Hotels in Mexico City
Glossop,Derbyshire
“Great value hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 September 2012

Sayed for 5 nights in August this year. Room small with window overlooking interior "courtyard" but very clean and had everything you needed (except a fridge, which would have been nice given the hot conditions in the City at this time), bed a bit hard but still slept ok. Bathroom very big with a fabulous marble shower cubicle that was enourmous. Drinking water outlet in bathroom was a nice touch. Water nice and hot and shower pressure great. Staff efficient but not over friendly. Lobby and bar/restaurant areas well maintained. Safe deposit facilities and very good wifi signal throughout the hotel. Loved the position of the hotel as so close to everywhere. Turn left out of entrance then first left for a fantastic breakfast place. Def stay here again.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
  • Polish first
Cabo San Lucas, Mexico
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 September 2012

I will start by saying the staff are fantastic. Helpful and courteous beyond description. But there are other things that are important too. The bed was solid granite! The elevator and I mean 1 elevator (another for staff or service but kinda hidden away) was ancient and it was a frightful experience rattling up and down the elevator shaft, noises and creaks and what sounded like broken springs going off. No Air Conditioning in room (has ceiling fan over bed so no big deal on that one). Bed Bugs...COME ON!!!!! Breakfast Buffet... simply 'just OK'. The hotel's own taxi service...COMPLETE RIPP OFF, don't use it and get hustled, take the city cabs instead! Oh and when you are in the shower be ready to dash out of the way of the scorching hot water every time someone in the Hotel flushes the toilet. Also, no in room safe. The PLUS SIDE.... like I said, the Staff were totally fantastic, the location is really really awesome with shops, attractions and restaurants all around you, great Lobby, superb restaurant and the menu was quite nice and very reasonable and no upcharge on Room Service...and the Hotel Room Rates...quite modest and fair. I would stay there again but I will upfront demand a decent comfortable bed with NO BED BUGS!!

Room Tip: Demand a comfortable bed or you are gonna regret it! I saw old mattresses being removed from the pla...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank BeachMule
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 September 2012

My room is quiet enough here in room 303.I am here from Fri 9/14 thru Fri 9/21. Room has no thermostat, but luckily not needed as weather has been very pleasant. The room has a closet with hangers but no iron. A phone. Vanity sink and mirror and tiled floor bathroom plus carpet in your room. Also has a 27 inch color tv. Ceiling fan. Recessed lighting (which you can control from your headboard which is nice) ...Also theres a switch by the door which shuts off all the electricity for when you go out...then you flip it back on when you come back.PROS: gym, solarium and sauna and nice view all from 9th floor. I also like that the front desk staff are very helpful and will set up tours for you if you want. Also have enjoyed the breakfast buffet here at the hotel which is very good with a good variety of foods. I havent tried their dinner yet. The location is also right in the heart of everything. Plenty of shopping and the best bakery in the world... Ideal Bakery is just a couple blocks up the street. CONS: elevator always takes a long time...and also watch out for the water in the shower which keeps changing temp for no reason. Also dont like that my tv mysteriously turns on by itself around 5am each morning. Other than that.. its all good. I would definitely come back &recommend to all.

• Stayed September 2012
Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2012

My week at the Marlowe Hotel in August 2012 was pleasant. The positives of the place are its location so close to Bellas Artes, Madero, Casa de los Azulejos, metro station, Zocalo, restaurants, museums, pubs, etc. My room was clean and the maids were amazing making sure i got everything I needed in my suite (towels, soaps, shampoo, clean blankets, etc). I notice the hotel is budget but the maids try to keep it very clean and polished (the maids get 5 Stars!).

The "not-so-good things" about this place are, on one hand, the front staff guys.... very unfriendly and they appear to be mad all the time... The small lady at the front lobby was pleasant and helpful... but the other people not at all. A second bad thing about this place (at least in my suite) was the water from the shower... the smell was really bad, but then I noticed the same smell in various places (zocalo, restaurants, streets, etc)... Finally, my suite had windows' however, they were small and very high on the wall ... The room was dark most of the time and resembled a basement suite (I was on the second floor). I did not complain about the room, as I did not spend too much time at the hotel. I did not try the restaurant but when reading the menu in my room I noticed the dishes were a bit expensive. You can eat very good and cheaper meals at various restaurants on Madero street (Casa de los Azulejos is a must!!!)

I am planning to visit Mexico again and I would not mind staying at the Marlowe; however, for next time I will request to stay at a different suite with large windows or a balcony. I never got sick in Mexico DF, only when I returned to Canada. I guess maybe it was the water... I don't know. Still, my visit to Mexico city was amazing!!!!

Room Tip: Request a room with large windows and/or balcony,
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
Aachen, Germany
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2012

I liked the place for the price I payed, it was cheap and in a good spot in Mexico City. I got a free upgrade to a Master Suite, so I don't know the standard rooms. Staff was mostly friendly, room was clean. However, the standard for a Master Suite wasn't great (empty balcony with not even one chair, no fridge). I'm sure it used to be a very good and high quality hotel, but it needs maintenance here and there.

Two of the main reasons I booked this place, didn't work:

1. I contacted the hotel 4 times about Airport pickup (which they offer on their website), cuz I only wanted a one-way pickup which I couldn't book online. I got into Mexico at midnight, so I wanted to be sure to get to the place without problems. The first three times their reservation service replied to my mail and didn't even answer my questions. Even when I said I'll pay for the round trip pickup, they wouldn't confirm. So I contacted the hotel reception directly the day before I got there. They told me to get a taxi at the airport.

2. I was very much looking forward to using the gym the next morning after the long flight. Especially excited about the Spinning bike. Not only was the spinning bike in a non-usable condition (and I've used a lot of different bikes in the past), NONE of the equipment worked. The "gym with a view" is ridiculous to be mentioned, so don't go there for this.

Besides that it's a decent place to stay if you wanna find a nice place to get started in the city. I felt save and it was no problem to store my bags for the day.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Caro H
Chattanooga, Tennessee
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2012

Lobby presents well for a budget hotel with vaulted ceilings and lots of marble. The entire reception staff was gruff and almost indifferent to our presence. Our room, a single bed, had just enough room to walk around without you or the door hitting the bed. The window had a screened slider opening into a out light shaft. The room smelled strongly of soap but appeared clean.. The ceiling fan made a noises of scraping metal which made it useless for sleeping. The bed linens appeared clean and the mattress was firm but sleep able. It is a decent hotel for the budget traveler but for $10 more greater comfort may be had.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank James L
Auckland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2012

Faily average hotel in a great location, walking distance to great restaurants shops etc, No AC in the rooms & the lift (elevator) is a bit out of date. The restaurant was good not great but resonably priced fairly good breakfast buffett. Don't bother getting the airport transfer when making you booking we got it but it never turned up so we wasted our money & when we questioned the hotel desk staff about it they did not want to know. A taxi prepaid at the airport is about $15NZ ($150 MEX Pesos). A good value place to stay probably 3 star quality. I would stay there again.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple