“Average, but good pricing for the area”
Review of Hotel Polanco

Hotel Polanco
Ranked #278 of 312 Hotels in Mexico City
Reviewed 30 June 2012

I've stayed at this hotel on business four different times an average of 4 nights each stay from March to Jun 2012.
The offices where I am working are close by, so I choose this hotel because of the convenience of being able to walk to the offices instead of taking a cab or bus.
I'm giving it three stars because it doesn't offer a whole lot other than a place to stay, but for being in the Polanco district, the pricing is pretty good.
The first time I stayed, I chose the Jr. Suite instead of the Single. For only $20/night more, to me it's worth it. It comes with an extra entry room, which isn't a big deal, except that it gives a little more space for your things, and allows you to spread things out if you need to do some work.

Okay, the good:
Location - It is only a few blocks from a very nice shopping and restaurant district, Hard Rock Cafe, and a couple of parks, and if you are going to a concert: the Auditorio Nacional. Within 5 blocks, there is virtually every kind of restaurant you can think of. The only problem is that the closest of these is probably 3-4 blocks, but it's not big deal. There is an Italian restaurant called La Bottiglia attached to the hotel, but I got tired of it pretty quickly.

The Rooms - They have LCD TVs (pretty much a standard now) but you need to pay a $20 deposit for the remote, wi-fi signal was pretty strong. You can see the wireless repeater antennae sticking out of some of the vents near the elevator and the far ends of the hallway....some of the middle rooms have a weaker signal, so try to stay on the ends of the hallways for the best signal.
The bed was firm, but comfortable. An iron is available if you call the front desk. The closet has an in-room safe, a small table for your luggage and hangers.
They are doing a remodeling project and it appears they've started remodeling from the top floor (6th) and are working their way down (currently they're working on the 4th floor). They're pretty much replacing bath fixtures and re-tiling around the sinks.

The service: It's average. Most are friendly, and when I needed something they were happy to help. There's a separate desk dedicated to calling for taxi service when needed, and one time they called a driver for me, explained to him that I wanted to visit the Torre LatinoAmérica on the way to the airport which required the driver to circle around the block for about 30 minutes while I ascended. I was a little nervous since I had some of my luggage in his trunk, but everything worked out great, and I paid him an extra 100 pesos for the inconvenience.

There are a few negatives of this hotel that I experienced, but nothing to keep me from coming back:
I had a stopped up drain in the shower so that I could only take a 2 minute shower before it would've started to flood. On the way out that morning, I explained the problem to the desk, and that evening when i returned it was already fixed.

Of the four times I stayed, only once I was given a room with an extremely small bathroom so that there is only 8" in front of the toilet because the wall is there. This makes for a very uncomfortable experience for a guy that is 6'2". I realized that this probably only happens on the rooms that are next to the elevators (109, 209, 309, 409, 509 & 609) because the bathroom is up against the elevator shaft and crammed in at an angle. I will avoid these room numbers in the future. In the other rooms I've stayed, I didn't experience this problem.

Some rooms have windows that face the street. At night is when the city likes to do construction projects, so you hear heavy equipment in the near-distance all night long.
Other rooms face an internal triangular shaped space full of air conditioning equipment and the windows of other rooms. You don't hear the construction as much, but if there are any parties, the sounds will bounce off the walls and will keep light sleepers awake.

There is no exercise room or equipment, and not much else in the hotel other than the lobby and the guest rooms.

That's pretty much it. I recommend it if you need to stay in Polanco and you don't want to spend $350/night like all the other hotels in the area.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
5  Thank Gringo-Master

Reviewed 9 February 2012

After reading the recent reviews, I had a lot of trepidation about staying here for 2 weeks while working nearby (I'd moved from a similar place near the Angel to be closer to our office). While I would rather have been at the W, Intercon or JW Marriott, all of which are nearby, I really couldn't complain.
My room - 316 - was large enough and recently refurbished. Everything was comfortable and clean, and there was a big new flatscreen TV with some HD channels. The staff were friendly (I speak Spanish), and the surrounding area is great. You're one block from the French embassy, a block from lovely Lincoln Park, and 2-3 blocks from the city's most glitzy shops.
Gripes: no wi-fi, so you have to use the 'business center' downstairs which has a couple of desktops, breakfast is a joke (mini-muffins, sunny delight and coffee laid out on a table near reception, and fyi, the Italian restaurant next door shuts at 7pm on Sundays. The restaurant is wonderful, and there's a side entrance from inside the hotel lobby - but you can't charge meals to your room.
To sum up: clean, friendly and perfectly adequate in a very fancy neighborhood. But if you're looking to treat yourself, look a bit more upmarket (and spend a bit more).

Room Tip: Interior rooms have no view, but may be quieter.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank Dan77Caracas
Reviewed 21 December 2011

The price is low, compared with the luxury skyscrappers in the surrounding neighborhoods, and there is a good reason for that. This hotel looks very provincial and badly needs renovation.
The hotel has an Internet site, providing online reservations. However, I am not sure that anybody noticed the reservation that I placed and prepaid. Fortunately enough a suitable room was found.
With all that the room was clean and the staff polite. The neighborhood is green and quiet, probably one of the best one can find in the city.
Internet connection was free and fast.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 13 January 2011

This was my third time staying at the Polanco and was possibly the worst. My room had a tiny, backdated, poorly designed bathroom. I could not sit in the toilet without banging my nees with the lavatory.
The room was not clean, had pubic hairs in the sheets, and had a "dirty" smell.

Location is great, restaurant is good, but the overall experience is very poor.
I hope I never stay there again-

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled on business
2  Thank Viaticatus
Reviewed 31 December 2010

This was my second stay at this hotel; the first stay was just a quick one nighter; this time I stayed for two nights.

The hotel, as other reviewers have noted, is dated and old. I stayed in a room on the 2nd floor which proved to be quite noisy--you could hear the street noise quite easily and it woke me up once in the middle of the night.

The room I stayed in clearly was extra space converted to a room. When I sat on the toilet my knees banged up against the wall; and I'm 5'11--not that tall!

The bed was absolutely terrible, rock hard, if I had a sleeping bag I would have slept in it on the floor and probably would have been more comfortable. The lighting in the room isn't that great either; especially if you plan on doing some work by the meager desk.

I opted to stay at this place because the other big chains in the area seemed real expensive especially for Mexico City. But avoid this place. It's basically got the charm of a Motel 6 or Super 8.

The only positive about this place is the adjacent Italian restaurant (which isn't owned by the hotel) is a pretty good place for dinner.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled on business
2  Thank travel49424
Reviewed 31 December 2010

I was quite disapointed. The rooms are very noise, no clean in the bed. They don't accept credit cards to payment.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank gilzacarlafloriani
Reviewed 14 February 2010

The dining room lends itself to connecting with other traverse and share experiences. The evening meal can easily stretch into many hours.

Stayed: August 2007, travelled as a couple