“Has Definately Gone Downhill Since I Last Stayed There”
Review of Hotel Principal

Hotel Principal
Ranked #132 of 312 Hotels in Mexico City
Reviewed 31 October 2008

I have stayed in this hotel many times over the years and while it was never a great place it has been good enough due mainly to its location and the price. This time it was next to impossible. Firstly, I called a month or so in advance and requested a specific room or one exactly like it. I was told it would be "no problem". When I arrived I was told it was a problem as those rooms were not available. This hotel has always been loud at night but it is much worse than in the past. I realize a hotel for $20.00 US nightly is not going to attract the highest class individuals as a rule but there are some truely low class people using this place. People returned all hours of the night and were clearly drunk, making a lot of noice, group singing (3am) and slamming doors, laughing very loud. They thought nothing of it. There was one drunk going from room to room asking for sex. I heard a lady in another room come out into the hall area and demand that everyone just "shut up as she has been trying to sleep for hours". I spoke to the front desk clerk and the owner and neither did anything about it. The least the can do is to ask people to hold down the noice when they return after about 11pm but this never crosses their minds. Secondly, about 5am each morning a hotel employee or an employee of the restaurant (overpriced food, not very good ) begins to slam metal doors while emptying trash. This happened each morning.

This USED to be a great place based on price and location but no longer is. I would higher NOT recommend it anymore.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled solo
1  Thank IHateNoice

Reviewed 5 June 2008

I chose this hotel based on its location, cost, and positive reviews. My stay was four nights over May 29 - June 2, 2008. I made my reservation through the hotel website (www.hotelprincipal.com.mx), and the staff were kind enough to tell me that the airport taxi would cost $127. I was given a room with two beds, but only charged the single rate ($240). There is a Super Soya next to the hotel, where you can purchase water and snacks. On the other side is a restaurant that opens at 8 AM, where you can get breakfast.

My room was on the third floor and well back from the street, so street noise was not a problem. A large youth group checked-in just before me, so it was a little noisy at night. I was able to sleep decently, given that I do not normally sleep well in hotels. The room was not air-conditioned, but did have windows that open and a vent over the door. It was stuffy during the day, but not too bad at night. The room was made up daily and was acceptably clean. It contained a safe, but I could not figure out the locking mechanism and never used it. I had trouble figuring out how to unlock my room, but once I did, I did not have problems.

There were a few things I wasn't crazy about. My shower did not drain well, so I showered piecemeal. The water pressure was poor, but the shower got hot fairly quickly. On my first morning, I observed (dead) cockroaches on the stairwell. Thankfully, by evening they were gone, and I didn't see anymore during my stay.

Overall, for what I paid for my stay, the hotel more than met my expectations. I was five minutes from the Zocalo and the Palacio de Belles Artes, which was really convenient. On my first day, I struggled with the altitude, so I appreciated being able to go back to the hotel to rest. The front desk spoke fairly good English and was able to assist in calling a taxi for me. If I visited Mexico City again, I would definitely consider staying here again.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled solo
Reviewed 26 May 2008

I stayed in this hotel May 22nd for 4 nights.
If you want no sleep and your room to smell of sewerage then this is the place for you. The smell is either in the air or the drains - it was hard to locate but it really was unpleasant.
The positives are location and the room is very clean.
But all of the rooms surround a central open corridor (think prison block) and the noise is horrendous. Other Mexican guests were shouting and slamming doors until 6am each night.
The second night a couple were literally having sex in the corridor outside of my room.
Above the door is an open grill and so you get attacked by mosquitos.
The hotel is only 275 pesos a night - but I'd look elsewhere.
A very unpleasant experience - I am looking forward to catching up on my sleep.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank leejason
Reviewed 10 April 2008

Hotel Principal is very well located and a very good place to stay for a low price. When I was there it cost $26 per night. It is in a nice old Spanish style building with very high ceilings and the staff is very friendly and helpful. Rooms are cleaned daily and some have a nice view of the street. It is very close to el Zocalo and the Alameda, and the concierge is very helpful with tourist information. Free internet in the lobby and a laid back ambiance. It is not very quiet at night, but bring your earplugs!

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled on business
1  Thank jlouder
Reviewed 23 July 2007

I stayed for a week at Hotel Principal and was quite pleased. The rooms (though basic) were clean and serviced daily. The staff was extremely helpful, the price was excellent, and they provide free internet access in the lobby. Additionaly, the location is excellent--very quick walks to the Zocalo, Reforma, and several metro stations for anywhere else in the city. TV (with some 40 channels) and phone in the room. The only complaint I had was the noise level--the rooms are not soundproof and noise tended to be an issue at night. However, bring earplugs and you'll be fine. Overall, a clean, safe, and affordable little hotel.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled on business
3  Thank traveler551
Reviewed 26 March 2007

I stayed two nights in this hotel. I was a woman traveling all by myself to Mexico to see Roger Waters.
I've never been to Mexico before but I got to say this hotel was great.
First thing is close to everything. Just in front of the hotel there is a little store open 24/7 where you can buy snacks, drinks, etc. Around the corner there is a 24/7 drugstore... very convenient.
Close to Starbucks, Burguer King, Sears.... two blocks away from Zocalo and 5 blocks away from Garibaldi.....

For $20 a night I received a very decent room (I have stayed in rooms like this in Best western paying $90 a night) with a/c, tv, hot water, nice bed.....

The service is good, not great but I mean... at that price you can't expect a service such as the one in Ritz Carlton.....

If I ever go back to Mexico... i will stay here, that's for sure...

• Stayed: March 2007, travelled solo
6  Thank ichaves25
Reviewed 8 January 2006

The Principal is located in a great location, just blocks away from sights like the Zocalo, Palacio Municipal, Templo Mayor, Palacio de Bellas Artes and the Alameda park. Many restaurants, ranging from expensive to cheap, and shops (sporting, music, books, clothing, shoes, etc.)surround it.The Allende Metro station is a couple of minutes away. You cannot find a better location. The downside was that the hotel was very noisy and I slept terribly every night for the week that we were there. We could hear the T.V. from other rooms, babies crying, people being intimate, phones ringing, people coming back late, etc. Some noise always woke me up every day in the middle of the night and it was common to be awoken several times.I strongly recommend that earplugs be taken. The pillows are also very hard and because the courtyard is enclosed (glass ceiling) air circulation is poor (we had an inner courtyard room). Cigarette smoke from other guests would filter into our room. Other than that, the rooms were clean and the staff was friendly. They provided us with nice, big, towels everyday and drinking water in a jar. We paid $320 pesos/night for a room with 2 double beds. It was for a family of 4.

• Stayed: December 2005