“Reliable hotel in Polanco neighborhood”
Review of Hotel Habita

Hotel Habita
Ranked #167 of 310 Hotels in Mexico City
Troy, Michigan
“Reliable hotel in Polanco neighborhood”
Reviewed 22 September 2011

The hotel is very clean, modern and hip. Polanco is also a great alternative to the more costly Condessa or the busier and more touristy Reforma areas.

The rooftop bar and pool area is a little tiny and crowded. Service at the bar moves at a snail's pace. Each night I was there, it seemed to host some private event, so be prepared that hotel guests get shut out of pool / bar access frequently. Still, if you can get in for a drink in the evening, do it. They play electronica lounge style music and project artsy videos on the wall of the neighboring building from the rooftop. The vibe is very young and trendy.

Breakfast at the ground floor restaurant is also reliable, with an excellent fresh juice assortment.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Scott Z

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Panama City, Panama
Reviewed 20 September 2011

Basically, I was up all night because there was this loud water noise. Like running water swirling around the pipes next to my bed. No sleep. I went to the lobby and they said they had no rooms because they allowed another hotel 20 minutes away to use up all their spare rooms. Hmmmmm, so couldn't they put one of those people in my room? Nope.

Great location for sure! Very happy about that, but the hotel is trying to hard and just not making it.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Martin S

Travellers are raving about these Mexico City hotels

San Francisco
Reviewed 26 July 2011

I have to admit I'm not very familiar with Mexico City, and so I'm not sure which oddities at the hotel are just part of life in the DF, and which are failures of the hotel. But while there's a lot to like about Habita, especially on the surface, there are a lot of things going on that would never fly north of the border.

Habita's location in the Polanco district is about as nice as it gets. Polanco is kind of the Beverly Hills of the DF and the street is filled with upscale shops and restaurants. A brief walk takes you to a beautiful park. The subway station is about a block away although it's a north-south line, and not exactly convenient to getting to other tourist areas like Zona Rosa and the Centro to the east. Sure, if you want "Real Mexico" (whatever that is) you may feel like the Polanco is somewhat removed, but it sure is pretty.

The hotel is similar in style to a Standard, with a modern lobby complete with restaurant and bar, some goofy video art, and a tiny "library" full of art books. The actual rooms are where the snazzy design breaks down a bit. First impressions of the minimal design are amazing, with a platform bed, cool lighting, and a beautiful gray-tiled bathroom. But once you try to use the room, you start to feel like it was arranged by aliens. The beautiful glassed-in shower has a nozzle that's not adjustable and sprays you (and the bathroom) with freezing water when you turn it on. The fancy sink gets water everywhere too. The bed is hard as a rock, and the light switches for the reading lights are totally out of reach. Hotel-genero-electronica is pumped into built-in speakers in both the room and the bathroom, forcing you to search for and figure out the volume controls before doing anything. The one English-language TV channel, CNN, had a deafening buzz for its audio channel all weekend, and the wi-fi on my floor worked only for about an hour on Sunday evening. After a while I just had to laugh -- I felt a bit like I was in a Woody Allen movie making fun of modern design.

Other reviews have mentioned problems with crowds/noise (similarly to my experiences at the Standard hotels in LA), but the late-July weekend I was at the Habita, the place seemed deserted. Even on Saturday night, the restaurant was only a quarter full, and I don't think the rooftop bar was open. On a rainy Sunday evening I went up to just see the roof, and it's quite lovely, or at least I can imagine it's lovely when it's not pouring. The pool is miniscule but there's a small, well-equipped gym and a wee hot tub and sauna around the corner, although, again, all of it seemed sort of closed.

WiFi worked in the lobby, and that fact plus the pouring rain convinced me to try the restaurant one night, and it was fine, with only a couple other tables occupied. However, I started my meal at 9:40 ish, and right at 10pm, all the lights came up, and the waiters came and took the candles off everyone's tables. Subtle! When I paid for the meal, I wanted to pay by credit card since the room was being paid for by my work hosts; so they brought the initial bill, I gave them my card, and then they brought me the credit card receipt, to which they had added a 20% tip. Is this what happens in Mexico?

I tried telling the staff twice that the WiFi didn't work on my floor, and they acted like I was crazy.

Anyway, if you want a snazzy place to stay in a fancy neighborhood while you're in the DF, at a price point similar to American counterparts like the Standard (about $175/night), Habita is fine. The design is very pretty, for sure, and the Polanco is a beautiful, verdant neighborhood. But it's hard to shake the impression that they think surface is all that matters to their clientele, and maybe they're usually right, but some of us would rather you take the money for built-in speakers and spend it on better beds instead.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank SFGuyDoinStuff
Birmingham, Michigan
Reviewed 26 July 2011

I Always stay at the Habita hotel when I go to Mexico City. It's cool very minimal and white... very white! The breakfast is pretty good with that great granola! We love to chill at the pool and have some cocktails as well as the roof top while we listen to good music and have drinks with friends. Love it!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 14 June 2011

This hotel is located in the heart of Polanco and although traffic in Mexico is always challenging you can find easy access to all parts of the city. The hotel is small yet has all services you can think off. The rooftop is very enjoyable and the service is outstanding. Having breakfast in the hotel is ideal and they make each coffee individually. It may be a little slow at times but the food tastes great.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
UAE
Reviewed 28 May 2011

This is nothing more than a cafe, bar and pool ... with rooms.

Roof top pool and bar (the size of the shoe box) is turned into a rave party venue every week end from 3pm till 3am the next day, therefore you will not be able to use it and most importantly you will never sleep nor be able to listen to your TV!

Think of blasting music travelling through all the bedrooms, drunken people wondering throughout the hotel and bedroom corridors all night, and empty bottles floating on the pool the next day (cigarettes buds, broken glasses in the sauna and jacuzzi).

Overall facilities advertised are very misleading (the library is a bookshelf with one chair) and service is rather non existent. Ground floor cafe that is also the lobby shuts down at 11pm (main entrance locked, lights off, chairs up) so on your return from dinner you will be greeted by a security guard, cleaner and all the drunken people having a break from the party.

On a more positive note housekeeping service is good and thank you to the young reception lady (never saw a Manager in six days) who upgraded us to a spacious suite on the first night, this from a standard room where the wash basin is not in the bathroom but next to the bed, be aware ...

Great location in Polanko next to shops and restaurants.

A veteran hotelier

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank HighLuxTraveler
Berlin
Reviewed 2 May 2011

The best part of my stay here was that it was so short. I needed to extend my stay in Mexico City by a night and I thought I would try this place since everyone seems to rave about the hotels in the group. Upon arrival I was assigned a room with hair in the bathtub, which even otherwise wasn't in a great condition - the original white had become a sort of yellowish brown and the there were bits that had simply chipped off. When I complained, they first sent a maid who wiped down the tub and then cheerily showed it to me even though there were still strands of hair clearly visible. When I called again, they finally moved me to another room, which luckily didn't have a dirty bathroom. It was simply as badly maintained as the previous one. I pointed this out to the staff member who had accompanied me to the new room and he said he would go talk to the manager to figure out a solution and get back to me. I never heard from him again. The room did have a great all-glass wall. However at night I found out that the curtains don't go all the way down to the floor, so that it was the same as if I was sleeping with a light on all night. At 7am, this became more like a bright fluorescent light. The designers also didn't seem to think any sound-proofing was necessary, perhaps because they haven't ever tried to sleep in a room facing a street in Mexico City. At breakfast the next morning, I barely saw any staff and definitely wasn't acknowledged by any of them until one of them came running over as I got up to leave, to make sure I wasn't trying to escape paying for my food.

All in all, a pretty miserable experience. Despite the discounted rate that I got on the internet, I felt I overpaid by a lot. I'm sure the place has decent rooms, but the two I saw would be unacceptable even in a three-star hotel. And the service would still be the same, as would be the "free internet access" that only seemed to work on occasion.

Room Tip: Try to get a room that doesn't face the street