“Stay away!”

Ranked #132 of 305 Hotels in Mexico City
London, United Kingdom
“Stay away!”
Reviewed 23 August 2012

Yes it looks nice but if you want to sleep, go somewhere else! Clearly the priority of those guys is not the hotel, it's the bar and the restaurant.
NOISE:The rooms are overlooking a patio-restaurant which is opened until 11pm every day, except Sundays. We were staying on a Sunday so instead there were some (recurring, not one-off) works in the courtyard until 11.30pm. The rooms are also underneath the bar of the hotel (Opened-air bar-terrace). The music stayed on until midnight. It looks like we were lucky it was Sunday as it normally stops at 2am. At 7am, the noise that woke us up was the one of pulling tables etc from the same restaurant.
FACILITIES: we couldn't use the pool on our second day as the whole area was full of workers preparing a corporate party for the evening. All the deck chairs had been removed anyway... we really felt welcome. Also there is no A/C in the room but only a very very noisy fan. And the water is not complimentary - first hotel ever in Mexcico. No window either, just the door,hence very little light in the room.
RATES: they claim that a "continental" breakfast is included but it's only fruits, coffee & juice,no bread, eggs or pastries... except if you pay for them. The reception also tried to have us pay for additional extras (namely a “sexy kit” :-) and some additional tips for the mini-bar (!)) that we didn’t use and therefore refused to pay for. Looking at what was debited from my bank account, it looks like they charged us for it anyway, or they didn't apply the 10% dicscount rate we were supposed to get. Not sure I'll ever see my money again...
Probably our worst night in a hotel ever... and we do travel a lot...
Small Luxury Hotels should kick them out asap

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank EdandYo
Adalberto R, Gerente at Hotel Downtown Mexico, responded to this review, 24 August 2012
Good morning,
Thank you for your feedback. The hotel is our priority and to ensure that every guest has a great experience. I regret that your stay wasn't as good as it was to others. The noise that comes from the restaurants on the main floor are not part of the hotel but anyways they should respect our guests sleeping hours. That is something that will be taken care of as of now. Regarding the continental breakfast it does include bread and pastries, this should not have happened. There should not be any charges for minibar that you did not consume. If you wish to contact me my email is areiter@downtownmexico.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed 19 August 2012

As the latest property in the trendy Grupo Habita chain, there is no doubt this very recently opened place will soon become the "it" hotel in Mexico City. Despite an unfriendly location for both business and nightlife, it has all the prerequisites: trendy restaurants (Padrino, newest in an upscale Mexican group of semi-Meditteranean bistros, and Azul Historico, the third run by a well known Mexican chef), local boutiques (i.e., Pineda Covalin) and an outdoor rooftop bar and lounge with a jaw-dropping view. Member of both SLH and Design Hotels, this place would seem to have everything going for it from the start.

I arrived early on a Monday morning, having reserved a Colonial King room for Sunday night in order to be able to sleep when I arrived after a red-eye. Was met by a security guard at the entrance and escorted through the open air courtyard to the hotel reception, where I was greeted and efficiently handled by a friendly desk clerk, then taken to my room. There was no expense spared in the renovation of the colonial building housing the hotel and the result is quite impressive. The hotel's 17 rooms and suites are all on the second floor, overlooking a central courtyard. Upon first entering my room, I noticed two things. The spectacularly high ceiling. And the heat. I asked where the air conditioner was. The bellboy pointed to the small fan above the entrance. I asked again and he said that the government wouldn't allow air conditioning in the colonial building and offered to bring another (bigger) fan, which he did. The room was an open concept, meaning no separate bathroom with doors. There was a bed and one chair at a long shelf that functioned as a desk and the only table in the room. There was no window facing outside, but the door could be configured to open with a view to the courtyard and the upper part of the entrance could be opened to allow for some ventilation.

My room was beautiful and cool (but not in the literal sense of the word). It was sweltering in Mexico City during most of the time I was there and despite having two fans at full speed, the room frequently was too. The hotel provided glass bottles of the Evian of Mexico (Aqua de Piedra), which I chilled in the mini-bar and which helped cool me off after returning from meetings in the afternoons. After a day, I began to notice that design frequently took precedence over function. The only two places from which to watch TV were in the one chair or on the bed. The chair was against the wall and so was the TV, making the bed the only comfortable option. Problem was that there were no side tables, just a headboard with a shelf on top, so there was really no place to put things while watching TV. Spills of wine and water were frequent, as I tried to balance the glasses on the bed. The lock on the door to my room was below my knee level, and it was a pain to open the door both coming and going. And the hotel was dark in many areas with dim lighting, very dark in fact, especially after coming in from the bright sun. Mini-flashlights were provided with the room key, and I need to use mine frequently in the halls, elevators and upon entering my room.

Transportation was a disaster. Located on a busy street in the historical 'Centro' of Mexico City, the hotel is convenient only for those who want to stay in the Centro. Taxis are necessary to go to/from other places in the city. There are two options: the hotel taxis and the street taxis. Having lived in Mexico City for 20 years, I am comfortable taking street taxis during the day, but they were hard to find during peak hours. The first time I asked for a hotel taxi, the security guard told me 10 minutes, and after 30 minutes and several unpleasant discussions with him about timing, in which his attitude was "that's the way it is" and highly dismissive, it arrived. While waiting, I noticed several other guests coming and going via street taxis, and the guard did nothing to help them with packages, open doors, etc. When my taxi finally arrived and we were underway, the driver wanted to charge me the $US22 for what is a $4 ride. He said the hotel fixed the price. I told him to take me back, which he did. When questioned by the security guard, I told him the price amounted to highway robbery and once again, he was dismissive. I found a street taxi while the security guard looked on with contempt. Upon leaving, I decided to take a hotel taxi to the airport rather than risk standing in the street with my luggage and hoping to find a local taxi. It took a good 20 minutes to arrive, and while the price was more reasonable ($15), the car was in terrible condition...way worse than most street taxis. I was helped by a hotel bellboy with my luggage.

The hotel plumbing was also an issue. Smells in my room at times ranged from mildly obtrusive to almost unbearable. I came home one night and thought something had died. The bathroom/shower area was beautiful and well equipped, but as it was open, I probably wouldn't want to share the room with anyone else, no matter how close the relationship.

Noise was a problem too. As there is no air conditioning and you need to access the courtyard area for ventilation, sounds from the restaurants, bars and people coming and going were frequently bothersome, especially at night when trying to sleep. A loud party one night kept me up until almost 3am.

There were not a lot of guests in the hotel while I was there, and the many uniformed staff members frequently seemed to be standing around with nothing to do. They were all unfailingly friendly and polite. I particularly liked the middle-aged blonde room maid in her black uniform and trendy sneakers. The few times I had room service it was good, fast and fairly priced. I ate at both hotel restaurants, as well as in the terrace area on the 2nd floor outside the rooms that I believe is reserved for hotel guests only. Food was always good, exceptionally so in the Mexican restaurant. The rooftop bar was quiet the one night I went up to check it out; I would have been the only one there, so I didn't stay. It seems uber-cool and I am sure it will soon be as packed as it's sister bars at the Condesa D.F. and Hotel Habita are in no time at all.

At check-out, I was asked what I had had from the mini-bar the evening before and I told them. They sent someone to check and was asked if I had any water. I said yes. Turns out, they charged for water...my water bill for 5 days was over $25. This p#$%ed me off to no end and I told them as much. It's Mexico City for C%*#st's sake...who drinks the water? What kind of hotel doesn't provide complimentary drinking water? This kind, apparently.

All-in-all, it was an ok stay in a beautifully designed new place, however, the lack of air conditioning, the plumbing smells, the noise, the taxi situation and the insulting water charge will keep me from coming back.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Brian H
Adalberto R, Gerente at Hotel Downtown Mexico, responded to this review, 21 August 2012
Good Afternoon Brian,
First of all, thank you for having stayed with us and for giving us such good feedback. As you mentioned we are just finishing our first month. Everything you say has been taken into account and are doing are best to get better everyday. Regarding the whole establishment not all the wecurity guards are from the hotel since we do not manage the whole building, just the hotel. I will gladly pass your comments to the building administration since we always try to work as a team to offer the best service all around. In downtown mexico we have strict quality standards and work daily to improve anything that we need.
Mexico City, Mexico
Reviewed 15 August 2012

I was looking forward to have a great experience for my 1st Anniversary, and I did! DOWNTOWN by Habita Group offered me such a nice place, great location, excellent service and really comfortable suits, the view is great, and I had the BEST Anniversary! Wiii Wiii

Carlos G.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Adalberto R, Gerente at Hotel Downtown Mexico, responded to this review, 16 August 2012
Hi Carlos,
It was a pleasure for me and my team to be able have you with us and assist you in enjoying your anniversary.
Barcelona, Spain
Reviewed 12 August 2012

Hi,
We stayed in Downtown Beds, the hostel part, and it was fantastic. The place is bright new, they have done a great job in having a modern hostel preserving all the structure of the typical casa virreinal. The rooms were spotless and really quiet since they are all in an interior patio so you are right in the city centre but can have a nice rest. Communal bathrooms and showers were in perfect condition.
The hostel is part of a group of gorgeous bars and restaurants in a yard so if you make it there late or tired you don't even need to leave the place and it's comfortable, open till late and the atmosphere is cool. You can have nice dinner in Azul Histórico and even some mezcal in La Botica bar!!! The staff were very nice and helpfull and the big screen with huge sofas or the swimming pool on the terrace are super welcoming after a long day or night visiting this amazing city. Will most definitely be back.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank cristina577_12
Adalberto R, Gerente at Hotel Downtown Mexico, responded to this review, 17 August 2012
Hi Cristina,
It was a pleasure having you around. We are glad to have been able to offer you the experience that we intented. Hope to see you back in Downtown Beds, let us know if you come back so we can great you as you should be greated.
Reviewed 30 July 2012 via mobile

We got downtown hostel, is new and it doesnt have much reviews but believe me that is one of he best hostels i have stayed. It has 2 bars, swiming pool, and a jacuzzy on the roof of a XVI century building right in the middle of mexico city. Nice staff, beds were very creative and we didnt feel any noise at night. Is quiet close to several cultural places as ruins and aztec pyramids. Nice place for a great city!!! Hope they keep that prices!!

• Stayed July 2012
Adalberto R, Gerente at Hotel Downtown Mexico, responded to this review, 31 July 2012
It's been a pleasure having you around and hope to see you when ever you come back to Mexico City.
Middletown, New Jersey
Reviewed 23 July 2012

One of three hotels we used while travelling in Mexico, and the Hotel Down Town is by far one of my favorite hotels ever.

There are three restaurants, and several small shops in their property. Their shops range from all different sort of snacks (from artesanal chocolate to breads and mexican delicacies), to art from local artists.
There's a pool, a deck and a covered bar on the rooftop, where we spent a few late afternoons.

The room was spacious with modern conveniences, such as electrical plugs around the bed and an ipod dock connected to the TV. Its decoration is identical to the designs you see in the ancient ruins, but it's done very discreetly and you might not notice if you havent been to their museums (some of which are within a short walking distance).
Wifi worked very well in the room, though not in other sections of the hotel. (in the room it worked well enough for me to use Skype with no issues)
The showers had excellent pressure and hot water. That might not seem like a big deal, but after walking around all day, it made a difference.

The General Manager, Adalberto I believe, made sure we had everything we needed, and his staff were friendly and helpful. Their team made it feel more like a resort than a hotel.

Location wise it's less than a mile away from Zocalo, so it's very close to a lot of history, though we did travel all over by taking the metro in the Zocalo square.

Hotel Down Town used to be a palace and it feels like it.
It was our first time to Mexico City, and we're already talking about going back, partially to stay at Down Town again.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Keith A
Keith, it was a pleasure having you around. Tough rain those days you were here but I'm glad you got to enjoy our hotel the same way we enjoyed having you around. See you on your next visit to Mexico City