“Great hotel, perfect location”

Hotel Downtown Mexico
Ranked #130 of 310 Hotels in Mexico City
Houston, Texas
“Great hotel, perfect location”
Reviewed 2 April 2013

I recently stayed at Downtown while visiting friends over easter break, I was quite pleasantly surprised. The hotel is laid back in style but not in service, which is perfect and still casual and friendly. The rooms are well appointed, interesting mix of old and new. Bathroom amenities are
good quality, which is always a big plus for me considering those ridiculous travel restrictions. Beds, sheets and towels are all first class and the room was very very clean. The staff is working hard and it shows.

Now for the fun part, the upstairs terrace is the best location in Centro Historico, easter week is holiday for mexicans so the place seemed to be the place to see and be seen. Super chill place to have some beers after walking around the downtown area. Days of "danger" are long gone and Mexico City is a fun place to visit, and Downtown is the perfect place to stay.

Grupo Habita does it again! Make this a must if you're in Mexico for business, stay the weekend and stay in Downtown.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
Adalberto R, Director General at Hotel Downtown Mexico, responded to this review, 8 April 2013
Dear Gustavo,

Thank you for your review. It was a pleasure having you stay with us. I hope to see you soon. Please let me know when you plan to comeback.

Best regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Monterrey, Mexico
Reviewed 4 March 2013

The best service and attention I've ever received!
Cozy room, relaxing bed, and excellent light!
All the restaurants inside the hotel are great, mixing tradition in an international way.
The rooftop is wonderful, great view, and pretty chic.
Walking distance to historical locations and accesible to all tourist attractions inside the city.
No doubt, I will return soon.

By the way, don't forget to check out the hostel inside the hotel!!! Excellent option if travelling on a tight budget. Two worlds under the same roof!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
Adalberto R, Director General at Hotel Downtown Mexico, responded to this review, 5 March 2013
Dear Soniquillo,
Thank you for your review. It was a pleasure having you around. I hope we have you around soon. Please let me know when you are coming back.

Houston, Texas, United States
Reviewed 28 February 2013

Hotel Downtown DF was hands down outstanding, I felt like I was among family and close friends while in a stunningly beautiful building and comfortable room.I’ve been all over the world and this place by far stands far above many of the luxury hotels I've been to. Attention to design and comfort is highly detailed as well as cuisine and service. People are wonderful, location, assistance for guided events and recommendations all on point . Priced very reasonably not to mention the hostel for the economical traveler. The mixed use concept in the building offers a cool dynamic, shops and all the amenities one may need along with a variety of dining. Look forward to returning soon... and to those who have poor things to say are missing out on the culture of Mexico and the way life should be lived. I highly recommend to all types of travelers, you will be satisfied !

Dear Hotel Downtown:

"su hospitalidad y el servicio eran de la más alta calidad, nos sentimos muy bien acogidos en su hogar. Sigan con los chicos de trabajo excelentes. Nos sentimos en familia. Cuide bien, con ganas de la próxima visita. Salud y Muchas Gracias ¡"

Room Tip: all rooms of good quality, stayed with several couples. each unique in there own way.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Jonathan W
Adalberto R, Director General at Hotel Downtown Mexico, responded to this review, 4 March 2013
Dear Jonathan,
It was a pleasure having you with us. It pleases me to have been able to have caused such a great impression on you. Don't hesitate on letting me know when you wish to come back. On behalf of all our staff we would love to have you back.

Best regards,
Adalberto Reiter
Monterrey, Mexico
Reviewed 19 February 2013 via mobile

I loved this hotel, the ambiance and all the restaurants and shops make it a great value and experience. I was sad to find out hat the service is just ok, I couldn't get a sewing kit since apparently they were out and never came to pick up some clothes for ironing.
Besides that, I loved the lack if light and the ambiance, the room was pretty perfect for
My husband and I, and the restaurants were great, I think far is the most beauyuful habita hotel I've stayed so far.

• Stayed February 2013
Adalberto R, Director General at Hotel Downtown Mexico, responded to this review, 25 February 2013
Dear Cyngtz,
Thank you for your review. We loved to have you stay with us. I can assure you the service issues have been taken care of. Hope to have you visit us soon.

New York City, New York
Reviewed 16 February 2013

We stayed at Downtown Mexico during a short weekend trip to Mexico City. We had read the reviews and expected some noise, but nothing prepared us for how loud it actually was during our stay. Yes, it was the weekend, but a peaceful nights rest should be expected at a hotel of Downtown Mexico's pedigree and price.

The noise is as a result of the hotel's layout. Basically, it's not a hotel. You have a massive courtyard downstairs with dozens of shops and restaurants (all of which are really cool). Every room opens up into the courtyard, so there's really no way to avoid the late night party noise and early morning cleaning noise. When you're there, you can't help but feel like the hotel aspect of Downtown Mexico is a complete after thought. Non guests were just wondering around the property right outside of our room. We felt like the property prides itself on being a "seen and be seen" place in the heart of the city. Anyone and everyone is welcomed to come party it up at the restaurants and rooftop bar/pool. There is no exclusivity at all. In fact, it was nearly impossible to find someone to help us. We didn't feel prioritized at all. As hotel guests, don't expect any privacy whatsoever.

We loved the design and architecture of the restored building. As I said before, the shops and restaurants there were all really fun. Ultimately, it was the basics where the place fell short. Our room had no exterior window. For even the slightest amount of privacy, you have to sacrifice any light entering the room. In fact, there was a window in our bathroom that looked out onto the courtyard. Everyone walking by could see you in the bathroom. We had to ask the hotel to put up a blanket so people couldn't see in. This is just such an obvious flaw that we couldn't believe has been overlooked.

I really want to love this place. It's teeming with potential, but until they prioritize hotel guests even slightly over the rest of the city, I can't recommend this place. Instead, stay somewhere else (perhaps in Condesa) but make sure to visit for some good shopping and restaurants.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Hoyabliu
Dear Hoyabliu,

Thank you for writing. Downtown Mexico is commited to improve all that is necessary in order to offer the best experience. Your suggestions have been taken into consideration and we will do what is posible within our reach.

Travellers are raving about these Mexico City hotels

Victoria, Canada
Reviewed 8 February 2013

My opinion is similar to Mr. Goldsmith's. The rooms are dark not for lack of lamps, as management seems to think, but for lack of natural light. Many of the rooms have no operable windows. As a result, the rooms are not only dark but airless. The bedrooms are open to the bathrooms, which have no mechanical ventilation, and the toilets, even when the lids are down, give off the smell of Mexico City's ancient sewer system. Try sleeping in that. The solutions are simple: operable transoms above the French doors, exhaust fans in the bathrooms and a lighter color palette.

Room Tip: Avoid the rooms on the smaller courtyard, except rooms 10 and 17. These at least have operable wind...
Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jamesgauer
Adalberto R, Director de Recepción at Hotel Downtown Mexico, responded to this review, 11 February 2013
Dear James,
Thank you for your review. I'm sorry that the room design was not right for you. Your suggestions will be passed on to the corresponding departments to try and make these adjustments.
Best regards,
Adalberto Reiter
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed 6 February 2013

The Downtown is a great concept: an historical building renovated to include two very nice restaurants in handsome courtyards, a mezzanine level filled with stylish shops and a rooftop
bar and pool. As a public place it is a triumph and has clearly become a magnet for well to do residents of Mexico City. BUT... the rooms are another matter. Ours, which was located on the smaller of the two courtyards, lacked natural ventilation. The only light entering the room was through the doors and once these were closed, the only way to get air moving through the room was with a rather noisy fan. The bathroom which is large and luxurious also lacks any form of ventilation. The bathroom was, in fact, oversized in relationship with the room which was rather tight and lacked any draw space for clothing. The ultimate problem with the room was that it was dark . The mid-gray color of the walls soaked up most the light coming through the door, creating a cave-like space. Great for a late night partyer but not particularly pleasant for someone who wishes to linger in the room. Bottom line: a fun place to visit, but don't stay there

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank nkidw
Adalberto R, Director General at Hotel Downtown Mexico, responded to this review, 7 February 2013
Dear nkids,
Thank you for your review. We will take your comments into consideration and see what arrangements and modifications can be made. Light is no longer a problem since we just added a few lamps in the rooms, I apologize that we didn't have them by the time you were here with us. If you come back to Mexico City, please let me know and I would love if you come have a look and see the changes that have been made.