Hotel Downtown Mexico
US$254
Zocalo Central(Mexico City)
US$178
US$173
All reviewsrooftop barazul historicocomfortable sleepingxvi centuryunusual hotelopen courtyardgreat designrestaurants downstairshistoric buildinghotel groupan enjoyable stayfun place to staybeautiful spaceloved this hotelhour room serviceour honeymoonbigger room
Reviewed 20 August 2013

We really enjoyed our stay at the Downtown. It is a beautiful property with lots of wonderful restaurants and shops. I loved how much of the outdoors was incorporated within the hotel with its large open atrium. We felt very posh lounging by the rooftop pool and dining on the terrace.

While the beds are very comfortable, I was not impressed with the rooms and their layout. Most rooms are small, and none of them have windows. Since the bathroom doesnt have sepearte walls, when you shower the entire room becomes steamy and muggy. Since there are no windows, if you want fresh air, you have to leave your door open. The hotel is not air conditioned. They provide fans which help, but the high ceilings make it very hard to keep the room cool.

The rooms are also extremely dark with no good lighting and again, no windows to provide natural light. This was a major problem for me, a lady trying to put makeup on before a formal wedding. There were fluorescent lights over the sink, so I had to stand in the bathroom which was muggy and hot from the shower and try and do my makeup. My face kept sweating and it was impossible. Finally I went into the terrace lobby and did the makeup with a small compact. Talk about a hassle! Bring your own makeup mirror, and some skimpy clothes to sleep in your hot dark box of a room.

Very few staff members understand English, so be prepared for that when dealing with any requests. The design of the hotel overall is beautiful, but I'm not sure I would stay here again. Come enjoy cocktails and the atmosphere, but you'll be more comfortable sleeping at a larger, airconditioned hotel with LIGHT!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank passport2earth
Adalberto R, Director General at Hotel Downtown Mexico, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2013

Dear Guest,

First of all thank you for choosing Downtown as your hotel during your Mexico City stay. All feedback is important to us as we try to excell each day with our service. We have already plans to install a/c in all our rooms. This will help the rooms to be less steamy and muggy as you mention. More lighting is also being considered. I would appreciate if you contact me on your next visit so that I can inform you if these changes have already been made.

Reviewed 7 August 2013

I stayed at the hotel Downtown Mexico last week and was very impressed. Not only is the property stunning but the service was outstanding. Our daughter has a life threatening tree nut and peanut allergy. When we emailed the hotel ahead of time Adalberto, the hotel manager, responded back immediately. He assured me they could work with us on safe dining. When we arrived the food & beverage manager Daniel and staff member Luis took great care of us. The food was great. We ate all our meals there. Overall we had a wonderful time. The beautiful property was only outdone by the service we received.

• Stayed: August 2013
Adalberto R, Director General at Hotel Downtown Mexico, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2013

Dear Guest,

It was a pleasure for to be at your service. We appreciate your review. Please contact me when you plan on coming back.

Reviewed 5 August 2013

The good: beautifully restored building, with restaurants (choices include: hip, fine, snack) in patios that are outstandingly nice designed. There's a few nice artesian shops, a great Mezcal bar and beautiful art (huge mural and huge hanging garden).
The rooms aren't big but nicely designed, with bricks and other nice materials. You can connect iPod to stereo system.

The bad: rooms don't have window and no air condition. Means: pitch black, dark, no fresh air (in humid Mexico). Might be a personal thing, but I can't sleep well at all in such condition. And that's what a hotel is for in the first place.
Also, hotel charged my credit card twice with security amount, the first time even before I arrived!

Therefore: would def not come back, don't recommend it as hotel (but go have a look at the building!)

Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Adalberto R, Director General at Hotel Downtown Mexico, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. I regret that the hotel design was not suited for you. Regarding the A/C, we are planning to install them this year. Regarding your credit card being charged twice, as I mentioned to you during your check out, it is a verification, this is a normal procedure done by hotels. No money was charged at that moment. When you plan on coming back to mexico, please let me know and I will inform you about the changes made so that you can consider staying with us again.

Reviewed 4 July 2013 via mobile

The location is great and the style is beautiful. But when you pay this much for a hotel room there are basic things you expect.

Things such as:

Windows or at least an air vent for oxygen. What you get is a very well designed but dark box.

Courteous service. It was very haphazard at best. When we went to order room service we were hung up on.

When we asked to speak to the manager we were told he was too busy.

We visited the hotel's sister property The Condesa DF and it was so beautiful and the concierge were amazing and helpful. Kind of wish we stayed there instead.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank CitizenAdvisor
Adalberto R, Director General at Hotel Downtown Mexico, responded to this reviewResponded 5 July 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. Your comments are very important to us and we will take into consideration everything you mention. Regarding the room service issue, I apologize and will make sure this does not happen again. I apologize if you were told I was too busy, I always try to meet all the guests and am always available for our guests. Please do let me know if there is anything I can help you with.

Reviewed 25 June 2013

We didn't like this hotel at all!!! We have suite num 7 the noise from the street Isabella Católica starts at 5 am with the trash buses,so it is not a place to rest, not only that but in front of the hotel there is a business call CASINO ESPAÑOL that has a power plant all night long in front of our room, so can you imagine all that noise? We arrive very late at 10.45pm and try to eat at the restaurant and they say they close at 11pm so they where´n able to feed us.
The bathroom is for a very open mind people haha and really open to smell every thing that could happen in a bathroom no doors neither for the bath or the shower. only a cortain one black and one with. I will never recommended for a real client that likes boutique hotels. This is far away from that. Also is dark must of the time even at the elevator there is not enough lights.
The only part I like is the demodulation they did to the building and the 2 restaurant they have in the first floor, Azul Historico (traditional gourmet mexican food) and another restaurant that I forgot the name but it has a big wall this a bike in it. and they serve breakfast and diners (mariscos)

Room Tip: All the rooms that are located in front of the street Isabella Católica are super noise especially if you stay over the weekend, so try to stay at the rooms on the back of the building
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank MARUKA33
Adalberto R, Director General at Hotel Downtown Mexico, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. I regret the hotel was not the best suit for you. We will take into consideration what you mention about the noise levels. This neighborhood is noisier than other zones. Regardless of this, we are looking into finding a functional way to reduce the noise level from our street view rooms. Please let me know when you are planning to come back to mexico city so that you can stay with us and note the solution the hotel has done.