“Hotel with character”

Hotel Downtown Mexico
Ranked #122 of 312 Hotels in Mexico City
Reviewed 10 March 2014

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Hotel Downtown last month. It has great character and the staff were friendly and helpful. We particularly enjoyed our excellent breakfasts overlooking the courtyard and the roof top terrace for a drink before dinner. We booked a Revolution Suite which was extremely comfortable and spacious with a balcony overlooking the street. Although we live in a very quiet country area we were, surprisingly, still able to sleep well in the city. However, as others have mentioned the room could have done with better lighting.

We stayed for 3 nights and would be happy to return if we ever found ourselves back in Mexico City.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Daniel T, Gerente at Hotel Downtown Mexico, responded to this reviewResponded 21 March 2014

Dear Ms. Anna,

Thank you for taking the time to let us know how you enjoyed your stay here at Downtown. We all appreciate the warm comments and thank you for choosing our hotel for your time here in Mexico City. I too hope that you make your way back to our wonderful country and are able to spend some more time with us here in Downtown.

Until then, I wish you safe and memorable travels where ever they may take you.

Daniel Thomas
dthomas@downtownmexico.com

Reviewed 2 January 2014

I really, really wanted to like this place. Honest - I stayed four nights and each night tried to think of how great the design and location was. But, bottom line, this place seemed to be run by 20 year olds who don't even PRETEND to be the slightest bit interested in assisting you. I planned my whole trip to Mexico City around this hotel as the center piece. Time and time again things kept going wrong.

1) The rooftop was a huge draw in the booking (and exorbitant prices) of this place - however, the hot tub each night was not functioning (the one night they tried they were only able to get it up to 80 degrees F), and I was greeted hostiley by the night securities guards leering on the roof. This is even after I gave the front desk a 1 hour head's up notice that I planned to use the spa earlier that evening.
2) We came for New Year's and planned to have drinks on the roof rather than fight the crowds at the Zocalo .. well, the entire rooftop was closed for a private, $90 USD per person party. I can understand that, and we all bought tickets to an open bar affair. It was not open bar, there was no food, no champagne as promised ... a total let down, and again, over-promise for under-delivering.
3) Not well ventilated rooms yet surprisingly noisy. Not possible to sleep.
4) Rude front desk staff.
5) Problems with reservations. I had to go to the front desk every day just to make sure my next night was booked, and they still didn't get that right and I had to move rooms 3 times. During one such move, I was told my luggage would be transferred. Instead, I came back and my luggage had been out in the open near the hostel front desk the entire time. No reassuring.
6) I mentioned above, the roof deck was nearly unfunctional - it's the biggest draw of me booking the place, but we could never really use it, and New Year's was an expensive affair that didn't even live up to the flier. I'm whining but the kids (literally, they were 20) in charge of the New Year''s party refused to serve us bubbly 10 minutes before midnight and no champagne was ever brought out - a total lie.

I am overall really dissapointed. I was hoping for this to at least be sufficienty - if not a highlight - of my stay in DF. I will not be recommending it to friends. I tried to like it. But the staff (save one incredibly nice breakfast waiter) were all complete jerks more interested in ignoring GUESTS of the exhorbitantly priced (for the little value it imparted) hotel rather than welcoming people by providing advice, blankets, and the functioning services that the hotel promised to offer.

Room Tip: All the rooms here are very noisy - you will be utterly screwed if you get a street-facing one.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
5  Thank jessicaRN035
Daniel T, General Manager at Hotel Downtown Mexico, responded to this reviewResponded 2 January 2014

Dear Jessica,

I want to appologize for the quality of service you experienced while here at Downtown. I realize that or shortcomings were many and that your stay, overall must have left a lot to be desired, I can assure you that the measures are being taken to rectify all of which you have mentioned, from the quality of interactions with staff, to problems with our rooms.

I wish you a year full of happiness and success and hope that you come back to Mexico City soon.

Daniel Thomas

Reviewed 16 December 2013

We liked the location and the design of the hotel. The breakfast was great too.
BUT....we were MISERABLE because we couldn't sleep!!!
The rooms are not sound proofed nor do you provide any sound buffers like curtains to muffle the sounds. We could hear EVERYTHING!!!
I understand the building is quite old but they could have installed double windows to keep the sound out.
For the price we paid it was not worth it because we woke up exhausted, angry and miserable.
And I"m sure this isn't the first time they've heard this. Other guests we spoke to at breakfast were just as miserable.
If I could have stopped payment and moved to a different hotel we would have.
I would not recommend this hotel to anybody.

Room Tip: None of the rooms are sound proof so unless you plan on staying up all night there isn't one goo...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank RafeTravel
Reviewed 12 November 2013

Upon seeing photos of the hotel, I fell in love with the architecture and design. I read reviews and was a bit hesitant to make reservations but figured that every hotel has areas to improve on so I took a leap of faith. We arrived very late on a Wednesday evening and were impressed by how nice the late night staff was, in particular the gentleman who checked us in (I believe his name was Alejandro). The courtyard was gorgeous and when he opened the door to our room, both my husband and I gasped at how beautiful it was - a bit stuffy and dark - but absolutely beautiful. Being that it was the middle of the week and November, I figured that noise or heat wouldn't be a problem. I can pretty much handle both of those issues anyways and did so for the remainder of our stay.

Since we spent our days exploring the city, I can't really give too much insight into what it is like on-site from 10am through the early evening, but I will say that every single night we returned to our rooms to a note slipped under the door, informing us that the rooftop bar would be hosting a private party. Now when I'm on vacation, especially when I'm celebrating, I like to enjoy a few cocktails and cut loose. I figured that the note we received was just a heads-up that there was going to be an event upstairs. Surely as guests we'd still be allowed to hangout up there. But this was not the case. We got upstairs and were turned away even after telling the security guard that we were staying at the hotel. Being that the rooftop bar was one of the main features of the property, it's ridiculous to even advertise it as one of the hotels perks if your guests aren't allowed to use it.

The most frustrating evening was that of our anniversary. It was our last night of the trip and though we received yet another note informing us that thought there would be another event happening that evening, we were actually invited to attend as guests of the hotel. That is after FOUR days of being there. But being that it was Sunday night and we had an early plane to catch the next day, we weren't going to hold any grudges and were grateful to be able to spend the entire evening at the hotel. We had an early dinner to at the Azul Restaurant which is located in the bottom courtyard (and is absolutely delicious - highly recommend it) of the property and made our way upstairs to enjoy the view and a couple of cocktails. When we got upstairs around 10pm the bar was completely closed. We called the front desk to see if maybe we had gotten there to early and asked if it was going to be open up later that evening. We were told that it wasn't despite our "invite" earlier in the day. We then asked if could order drinks from room service or the restaurant and bring them upstairs. Again we were told no and instead told to use the minibar which was both incredibly limited and expensive. We then asked if there was a place nearby to get a drink. Answer: Nope. So since we it was our anniversary and last night in town, we decided to bite the bullet and pop open a tiny, overpriced bottle of champagne. It was a total bummer and in hindsight, I think that we should have been given complimentary access to the minibar since the actual bar, which we had been "invited to" was randomly closed. I know this all sounds petty but when you make plans and are paying for certain amenities, it's really frustrating to not be accommodated. Come to think of it, the minibar bill should have been free every night being that we weren't ever allowed to use the huge, beautiful bar that was literally one flight of stairs above us. Especially when we were forced to listen to the eurotrashy bass coming through the ceiling on a nightly basis. Not cool at all.

Another major upset was learning that our friend who was also in Mexico City at same the time (and who speaks Spanish fluently so losing anything in translation was not a possibility) called the hotel and was told that there were not phones in our room. Uh, there was definitely a phone in our room. I used it more than once. Since our friend was without a working cellphone, he left several messages at the front desk, none of which were given to us, even when I asked if we had any messages. We completely missed out on being able to see him and I shudder to think what would have happened if there was an emergency back home and someone tried to reach us via the front desk. Lame.

I know I sound like a complete baby but I promise you, I am the type of person who has never sent a dish back to the kitchen. In fact, I get super embarrassed and pissed if I'm at a table and have a friend send a dish back. I tend to go with the flow because I've worked in the hospitality, food service and retail industries and I know people can be insanely rude. But when you're dishing out a bunch of money and only get the opportunity to go on vacation maybe once every three years, I feel like it is only fair.

Anyways, I'll end this with some bullet points that hopefully people will find helpful:
1) If you want to have breakfast or dinner at a beautiful place, hit up Azul Restaurant or Padrino's located at the hotel. Great service and unbelievable food.
2) If you're expecting a hotel with an awesome concierge who really knows the city and gives you some tips on places to go, easy ways to get around and just the basics of staying at the hotel, this is not the hotel for you.
3) In terms of the where the hotel is located in general, I wouldn't come back to this particular neighborhood (Centro Historical). Don't get me wrong, the area is beautiful. Old buildings and cathedrals that blew me away. It's also interesting to see an ornate palaces that house both family-owned establishments from way back in the day and gross American chains ala Burger King and Pizza Hut. Worlds colliding. If you like going out at night, eating at great restaurants, doing some shopping and meeting rad people, I would instead hit up Colima or Roma because there is way more going on. Not the hotels fault, just a comment.
4) If noise is an issue for you and you're a light sleeper, don't stay here. It won't be enjoyable.
5) Certain members of the staff were fantastic - the man who checked us in, the wonderful waiter who served us breakfast in the second floor courtyard and the bellhops all were great. But the inconsistency of the front desk people were so hit and miss. One night I asked if it would be possible to arrange a taxi and the young woman up front just said "no" and didn't offer any other suggestions or reasons. Really awkward.
6) Loved the design of rooms and the way the building was refurbished. A lot of attention was paid to detail and I respect that immensely. It didn't feel over-the-top snobby. Just really well done.
7) I'm giving this an average score because the inconsistencies are so huge. There are so many wonderful things about the hotel but the things that aren't so great about the place, are really bad.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
8  Thank dnicolette
Adalberto R, Director General at Hotel Downtown Mexico, responded to this reviewResponded 13 November 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. It is very detailed and it helps us know where we need to improve. I can assure you that we will learn from these mistakes. I sent you a personal email regarding the details you mention. I apologize for the erroneous information given by some staff members since all memebers have access to all our events.

Reviewed 28 October 2013

Most negative reviews of hotels I read are over-the-top, people seem to be annoyed about things that I would let pass me by. But, a few things you should know about Downtown Mexico:

1) It is very noisy, we couldn't sleep at night without ear plugs (I have never had this anywhere before). We asked what the banging sound at 5am was, we were told that this would be raised with the manager, we heard nothing further.

2) The rooms are (exceptionally) dark.

3) The room was not clean, as in you would walk accross the floor and your feet were filthy by the other side.

4) The staff were untirely uninterested in assisting with any request (we asked for directions to some decent local bars, we were met with blank faces).

If you can put up with these things there is a great bar (albeit sometimes busy with private parties), cool pool and the hotel looks great, the design features are impressive.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Dinnerathon
Adalberto R, Director General at Hotel Downtown Mexico, responded to this reviewResponded 30 October 2013

Thank you for your review. For us at Downtown Mexico, all the feedback is very valuable. We strive to offer the best service to all our guests. We have created a concierge book so that all our front desk personnel has knowledge of everything that sorrounds the hotel. Our rooms are cleaned daily and I can assure you that your room was properly cleaned prior to your arrival, anyhow we have reinforced this issue so that it does not happen again.

I hope to have you stay with us again, we will find a more suitable room for your needs.

Reviewed 25 October 2013

Cool hotel and would give it a 5/5 for design...
Heard some negative comments before about noise etc. but decided to book anyway. Unfortunately reviews were pretty accurate. When we arrived the floor was a bit dirty and dusty, maybe because the rooms are so dark they think they can get away with it but felt a bit sup par considering the price of the hotel.
Staff are incredibly unengaged and have absolutely no knowledge of the city. Are there any bars near by to get a drink? was a question that had them stumped. Luckily the security guy pointed us to a few. Upon checking out, one guy who we'd seen for the last 3 days asked if we were checking in!
Lastly, the rooms are really noisy, they supply earplugs and you really need them. Stayed in room 9 and there was lots of strange noises in the middle of the night plus you get woken up early (about 6) by the busy restaurant downstairs dragging tables.
All in all, it wasn't terrible and it is a cool place but considering it was the most expensive place we stayed on our trip round Mexico, expected a lot more.

Room Tip: Ask for anyone with decent windows, think for the base rates, there is only one so would request in...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TheFoodieHunter
Adalberto R, Director General at Hotel Downtown Mexico, responded to this reviewResponded 27 October 2013

Dear Guest,

Reviewed 4 September 2013

Great place to escape the city and have a top quality drink and lounge by the pool and enjoy the city views. Hip, modern and stylish I am sure you will find yourself wanting to lounge here a bit longer than first planned. I had the lime lime caipirinha and Cristina had the Pibirita, which was meszcal, jamaica and maracuya made into a daqauri. Afterwards we had Mezcals to drink. Explore the rooftop bar and also take a walk around the building's shop area, which is wonderful. It is a beautiful building, well designed and with some great shops, cafes and restaurants. Also, Design Hotel's Downtown Mexico hotel is located here too.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Adalberto R, Director General at Hotel Downtown Mexico, responded to this reviewResponded 10 September 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you for your review. It was a pleasure having you in our terrace. I hope next time you visit us you also stay with us at the hotel. Don't hesitate in contacting me for any request.

areiter@downtownmexico.com