“Luxury in Polanco” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #25 of 304 Hotels in Mexico City
New York
“Luxury in Polanco”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2011

The W in Mexico City had been recommended by a few colleagues over the JW Marriott. When I read the reviews on trip advisor, I had some hesitation as the JW gets overwhelmingly positive comments, while some of the reviewers had a few negative comments about the W.

I decided to book the W after seeing the design and room layout of the W. If you want contemporary and a modern feel -- look no further. The W excels in this. The rooms are an amazing size, red walls, flat screem, terriffic bathroom (with amazing shower and hammock, which I did not use), flat screens, i-pod docking stations...and the list goes on. I honestly did not want to leave my room in the W. Plus I was on a high floor, with amazing views of the City.

The Marriott is right next to the W and so is the Intercontinental. One evening, I decided to check both of these places out. I am SO GLAD, I chose the W. Much, much better. The other two hotels are massive structures. Don't have a personal feeling and are really traditional and old-school in terms of design!

Service at the W was excellent. From the time I arrived till departure, the conceirge staff (Eduardo and Cynthia) were so helpful. The restaurant with an outdoor terrace is fantastic. I had breakfast there each morning (great selection!) and lunch on the day I arrived. I was really impressed with the food. Usually hotel food is just ok. This was different.

Also, the hotel Spa is fantastic. Great facilities. In terms of neighborhood, it does not get much better than Polanco. I highly recommend staying at the W. If you stay here, I also suggest that you spend one evening at the restaurant Pujol. Amazing food and a great wine list. You can do traditional Mexican at many places, but this is Mexican Haute Cuisine. Very different...great experience.

When I return to Mexico City, I will definitely choose the W again.

Room Tip: Request a high floor, and away from the elevators.
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
W_Mexico_City, Manager at W Mexico City, responded to this review, 24 May 2011
Hello there :

Welcome!!!

Many thanks for taking the time to share your comments regarding your stay with us at W Mexico City.

We at W strive to make each guest stay memorable and pleasant and it’s gratifying to know you enjoyed a memorable stay with us.

Please feel free to contact me at stephen.hertzberg@whotels.com whenever you are planning to come back, I will make the proper arrangements to make your next visit a truly memorable experience.

We are all looking forward to welcoming you again at W Mexico City soon.

Best regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
  • Greek first
Cincinnati, Ohio
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2011

The W Mexico City is a beautiful-looking hotel in a great area. Everything from the lobby to the room design oozes trendy and elegance. There are some great attributes of this hotel for but $250/night it falls short on a few key factors.

What to love about the W
1. Situated in Polanco, it is within walking distance to many great restaurants and bars.
2. The lobby is very tastefully decorated.
3. The bathroom is very spacious and the rain-forest shower head (with 2 jets) is second to none.

What can the W improve
1. Sound insulation is very poor. I can easily hear my neighbors move around their rooms or use their bathrooms.
2. The rooms are NOT spotless. In April 2011, I stayed in two different rooms and both had scuffs and dirt.
3. The service was below average compared to the JW Marriott or other nearby hotels. Neither the front desk receptionists nor the concierge desk looked happy in front of hotel guests.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
3 Thank Leadbelly98
W_Mexico_City, Manager at W Mexico City, responded to this review, 20 April 2011
Hello there:
Thanks for taking the time to share your comments regarding your recent stay with us at W Mexico City.

We at W strive to make each guest stay memorable and pleasant and please know your feedback is truly appreciated, therefore your comments in regards of the sound insulation, cleanliness and service will be taken into consideration.

Please contact me directly should you need any further assistance at stephen.hertzberg@whotels.com, I will be happy to assist you and ensure you a memorable W experience during your next visit
Droitwich, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2011

We arrived at the hotel in the evening after a 12 hour plane journey to blaring music from the bar in the entrance lobby accompanied by a red glow from the lighting and thought we'd made a mistake booking, but once we got to the room it was beautiful, very trendy and with a panoramic view of the city (we were on a high floor) The shower is a giant wet room, complete with a hammock you can relax in. Only downside was the charge for internet access, but we just walked across the street to a nearby Starbucks.
Safe neighbourhood, 10 minutes walk to the Anthropological Museum. During the week it is a business hotel, lots of suits, not so many tourists but that changes for the weekend. Breakfasts are great, if a bit pricy, service fantastic! Fitness centre and spa were great too. We were made to feel very welcome, would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
W_Mexico_City, Manager at W Mexico City, responded to this review, 31 January 2011
Hello there xenabelle:

Welcome!!!!

Many thanks for taking the time to share your comments regarding your recent stay with us at W Mexico City; it’s gratifying to know you enjoyed a memorable stay with us.

I am sorry you were not aware of this but for future visits; please note that we have complementary internet access at our living room (lobby) and also at our Solea restaurant

We look forward to see you soon again at your home aWay from home!

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2011

We stayed at the W in Mexico City for 4 nights in December 2010 with our 15 month old baby and it was great.

Staff were very friendly and rooms were great size and had a hammock overlooking the city which was great.

Would recommend again!

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
W_Mexico_City, Manager at W Mexico City, responded to this review, 27 January 2011
Hello there darlingnikki71:

Many thanks for taking the time to share your comments regarding your recent stay with us at W Mexico City.

We at W strive to make each guest stay memorable and pleasant and its gratifying to know you enjoyed a memorable stay with us.
We are all looking forward to welcoming you and your baby again at W Mexico City, please let me know, should you need any further assistance or if you have any special request, we will be happy to assist you and ensure you a memorable W experience during your next visit

Bangkok, Thailand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 January 2011

I stayed here from Jan 3-5 for two nights and the first impression is that the W really does take itself seriously to be the cool kid on the block in the polanco district. Sharing the lane with Nikko, Inter Continental and JW Marriott, it does strikes you as being the one to be at.

the location is not bad, with a metro stop behind the hotel that is walkable under 5 minutes. dining wise, there are many cafes and restaurants for one to choose from, though they are pricey, in the 1 mile radius of the W.

the hotel has a fitness center but no pool, and internet is free in lobby area (though the code the frontndesk gave me kept failing that i ended up passing them my iphone for them to key it in themselves after my countless attempts)

now, lets go to the bad side: the rooms. no doubt ultra spacious and modern, i felt they they lack a simple concept to be stayer-friendly. will you put blinds that do not shut completely in your own home? well, this hotel does. will you put a firm comfy bed only to ruin it with pillows so fluffy that your neck lack any support in your room? well, this hotel does. Will you install hot water tap that takes 3 minutes to warm up in your place? well, you guessed it, this hotel does! Enough said.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled solo
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Hello there GeraldSingapore:

We at W strive to make each guest stay memorable and pleasant therefore please know that your comments will be taken into consideration and your feedback is truly appreciated regarding the blinds, pillows and water temperature. For future visits, please note that we have open internet access at our living room; you won’t be needing a code anymore.

Lethbridge
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2011

This hotel holds to the W brand and is a very well decorated, comfortable and stylish. I have stayed in the Intercontinental and Nikko in the area and I would definitely prefer the W. The rooms are spacious with very comfortable beds. There is a hammock over the oversized tub which is decedant. There are ipod docks and a selection of music and videos available. The spa is beautiful and worth a visit. The hotel is pricey, in that there is no complimentary water, breakfast or internet; there is an extra charge for everything.
I was there for vacation so I found that it was great for a weekend of partying and relaxing in Mexico City. It is in a great location, there are lots of restaurants nearby. The staff and conceirge were great, and we were very well attended to on our stay. I would definitely return but it is perhaps better suited when traveling for vacation rather than business.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with friends
Hello there gypsytravels:

We at W strive to make each guest stay memorable and pleasant therefore please know that your comments will be taken into consideration and your feedback is truly appreciated. For future visits, please note that we have complementary internet access at our living room (lobby).

Please contact me directly should you need any further assistance at stephen.hertzberg@whotels.com or through Trip Advisor, I will be happy to assist you and ensure you a memorable W experience during your next visit

London, UK/Detroit, MI, USA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2011

I stayed at the W Mexico City for a few days whilst on a business trip. I have no complaints about cleanliness and location (its safe for Mexico City and there are good places to eat across the street, including a Starbucks). But, I did think that the hotel was trying too hard to be cool. After my flight was delayed, I didn’t get to the hotel until after midnight. It was early Tuesday and the music was so ear-splitting that it seemed like I was walking though a club to get to the lifts (it turned out to be like this every day, 24X7). The rooms, in general, seem to be showing some wear.

I didn’t have a problem with the price/night, though they charge you for bottled water. I have travelled to a variety of countries where you can’t drink that water and every hotel has provided this for free (except for the W that is!)

To be fair, I have only stayed at one other W and that was ages ago. So, I am not sure if they are all like this. Even though I am in my late 20s, the W Mexico City seems more like a place I’d go for a drink, rather than stay the night. As it may not be for everyone, try the Marriott instead, which is right next store.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled on business
Hello there dfisch891:

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent experience. I am sorry to hear of your experience and would welcome the opportunity to speak with you directly. Please email me at stephen.hertzberg@whotels.com se we may discuss. I will be happy to assist you and would love to have you back for a drink at our Whiskey bar