“Just OK compared to their next door competitors”
Review of W Mexico City

W Mexico City
Ranked #25 of 312 Hotels in Mexico City
Reviewed 2 July 2011

The service was just acceptable. The beds do not have a box spring, and were not heavenly. My bed tilted to the front not allowing me to rest. In the morning, I asked for the bed to be corrected. To my surprise when I arrived at 5pm, my room hadn’t been cleaned and the bed still tilted. I was only there for two nights, so it wasn't worth the hassle to call front desk again, but I would of expected this simple request to be completed.

The wireless internet reception was quite poor. The only thing that made it acceptable is that it was free access during the nights I was there. It should be free period.. Especially for SPG members. Well if you are a SPG member they give you two Fiji bottles per day.

Surprisingly the best service came from the valet parking. They would graciously put bottled water in the car, and were always helpful.

Net, I think you can do better with other hotels in terms of comfort and functionality. I think the Marriott next door is an excellent choice for business people or families.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
W_Mexico_City, Manager at W Mexico City, responded to this reviewResponded 5 July 2011

Hello there :

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent experience. Please know corrective measures have been applied already.

I am sorry to hear of your experience and would welcome the opportunity to speak with you directly. Please email me at stephen.hertzberg@whotels.com se we may discuss.

There are newer reviews for W Mexico City

Reviewed 16 June 2011

We chose this hotel for our honeymoon to Mexico. Greeted with friendly staff and a much needed drink on arrival. We loved everything about this groovy hotel. It is upmarket and sophisticated just like it's location. Top restaurants surround the place and it has one of the best bars in town in the evening. The only slight negative is that our room was positoned near the elevator which plays repetitive "mood" music quite loudly outside it and the cost for the bottled water in the mini bar was expensive! Other than that it is the perfect hotel for a great stay in an amazing city.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
W_Mexico_City, Manager at W Mexico City, responded to this reviewResponded 22 June 2011

Hello there:

Many thanks for taking the time to share your comments regarding your recent stay with us at W Mexico City.

We at W strive to make each guest stay memorable and pleasant and it’s gratifying to know you enjoyed a memorable stay with us. I have taken notes of your comments in regards of the music coming from the elevator therefore please contact me directly whenever you are planning to come back , I will make sure you wont be experiencing this problem in future stays. Concerning the cost of bottled water in the mini bar, please note that we are now giving bottled water free of charge in every room.
Please contact me directly should you need any further assistance at stephen.hertzberg@whotels.com, I will be happy to assist you and ensure you a memorable W experience during your next visit

Reviewed 8 June 2011

Quite cool. Very nice decor. Cool vibe. Great design. The only thing that I would improve is that rooms are quite dark, you can tell their target is not business men and definitely not business women as the mirrors are located in dark spots... An improved lighting design with a dimmer would solve the problem while keeping the W atmosphere.

Hello there:
Thanks for taking the time to share your comments regarding your recent stay with us at W Mexico City in terms of the decor , vibe and design.

We at W strive to make each guest stay memorable and pleasant, therefore, please know your feedback in regards of the lighting is truly appreciated, we will start renovating the hotel soon and we will definitely focus on this obviously keeping the W atmosphere just as you mentioned.

Reviewed 2 June 2011

Was there for one night. Very W. Lively but quiet in the room. Large Room. Fabulous bathroom with large window. Amazing shower. Had a very good time.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled solo
W_Mexico_City, Manager at W Mexico City, responded to this reviewResponded 8 June 2011

Welcome!!!!

Many thanks for taking the time to share your comments regarding your recent stay with us at W Mexico City; it’s gratifying to know you enjoyed a memorable stay with us.

Do not hesitate to contact me in advance at stephen.hertzberg@whotels.com for any further assistance, I will be happy to assist you with future reservations and ensure you a memorable W experience during your next visit.

We look forward to see you soon again at your home aWay from home!

Reviewed 28 May 2011

This was my first time in Mexico City and the W there. I was there 5 nights for business. I was upgraded as a platinun SPG member to a fantastic suite. Lovely room. My only gripe is...I brought my partner with me and these rooms are not designed for 2 people if they have any difference in schedules. The shower/tub is essentially in the bedroom so if you have to wake up early at 6am for meetings like I did, there's no chance your companion will be able to sleep (due to noise, light, etc.)... minor design flaw not unlike other Ws.

We did, unfortunately experience quite a few problems with our stay. The power went off numerous times (seems like there was a generator problem) which also led to the TV being out for one night and about a 6 hour stretch with no air conditioning (which is not fun in DF!). Also the business center was closed due to a "private event" or "emergency repairs" depending on who you asked, which was quite frustrating.

All that said, the service more than made up for it. Stephen, one of the managers, was very apologetic and bought us dinner in the hotel restaurant (which is fantastic) and a round of drinks at the Whiskey.

Perhaps the best example of the amazing service was when my partner had a headache we went to buy some aspirin in the W store. The manager must have seen this because when we got back to our room there was a tray off coffees, snacks, and advil, aspirins, etc. waiting for us and a nice "feel better" note.

The service at the restaurant and Whiskey was amazing as were the food and drinks. I'm going to write off the issues as a one-off and I would definitely return. Amazing service makes all the difference.

I actually was shocked that the hotel car was often cheaper than a radio taxi and we used the hotel car to go to the Fridha Kahlo museum, dinners, etc.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
W_Mexico_City, Manager at W Mexico City, responded to this reviewResponded 31 May 2011

Welcome!!

Once again please accept our apologies for the inconveniences you faced. We strive to provide our guests with exceptional service on a daily basis, as it is certainly not our intention to provide our guests with a negative experience.

Please contact me directly should you need any further assistance with future reservations at stephen.hertzberg@whotels.com, I will be happy to assist you.

Reviewed 19 May 2011

I grew up and love Mexico City! I usually stay at the Niko, but I wanted to try the W, because of all the nice reviews. Well... believe me, the price is NOT right nor the stars ratting.
The location is the best and off course the beds are amazing, like all the Westin's "heavenly beds". The staff is great too, all are very nice people. The SPA is great too, specially the Temazcal.
What could have gone wrong with such a nice review? Lets say they are "cheap": The toilet paper is kind of the worse, you can polish your furniture with it, lol. They give you one little bottle (1 oz) of shower gel for the 4 days we stayed there. I made the reservation directly at the Preferred guest Westin in USA and booked it "prepaid" at one price, at the end i finished paying $45 dollars extra because of the "exchange rate" + $35 for the cc international fees. Why?? I paid in US with a US dollars credit card. They claim that the Hotel is in Mexico. It has never happened before. If I would have stayed at the Niko, like always, I would have saved at least $500, same great location and perfectly clean with great food.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
W_Mexico_City, Manager at W Mexico City, responded to this reviewResponded 24 May 2011

Hello there:

We at W strive to make each guest stay memorable and pleasant therefore please know that your comments in regards the toilet paper ,shower gel and the exchange rate will be taken into consideration since your feedback is truly appreciated as it allows us to focus on areas in need of improvement.

Please contact me directly should you need any further assistance at stephen.hertzberg@whotels.com, I will be happy to assist you.

Reviewed 14 May 2011

The W in Mexico City had been recommended by a few colleagues over the JW Marriott. When I read the reviews on trip advisor, I had some hesitation as the JW gets overwhelmingly positive comments, while some of the reviewers had a few negative comments about the W.

I decided to book the W after seeing the design and room layout of the W. If you want contemporary and a modern feel -- look no further. The W excels in this. The rooms are an amazing size, red walls, flat screem, terriffic bathroom (with amazing shower and hammock, which I did not use), flat screens, i-pod docking stations...and the list goes on. I honestly did not want to leave my room in the W. Plus I was on a high floor, with amazing views of the City.

The Marriott is right next to the W and so is the Intercontinental. One evening, I decided to check both of these places out. I am SO GLAD, I chose the W. Much, much better. The other two hotels are massive structures. Don't have a personal feeling and are really traditional and old-school in terms of design!

Service at the W was excellent. From the time I arrived till departure, the conceirge staff (Eduardo and Cynthia) were so helpful. The restaurant with an outdoor terrace is fantastic. I had breakfast there each morning (great selection!) and lunch on the day I arrived. I was really impressed with the food. Usually hotel food is just ok. This was different.

Also, the hotel Spa is fantastic. Great facilities. In terms of neighborhood, it does not get much better than Polanco. I highly recommend staying at the W. If you stay here, I also suggest that you spend one evening at the restaurant Pujol. Amazing food and a great wine list. You can do traditional Mexican at many places, but this is Mexican Haute Cuisine. Very different...great experience.

When I return to Mexico City, I will definitely choose the W again.

Room Tip: Request a high floor, and away from the elevators.

Hello there :

Welcome!!!

Many thanks for taking the time to share your comments regarding your stay with us at W Mexico City.

Please feel free to contact me at stephen.hertzberg@whotels.com whenever you are planning to come back, I will make the proper arrangements to make your next visit a truly memorable experience.

We are all looking forward to welcoming you again at W Mexico City soon.