“Very good as expected”

Ranked #28 of 309 Hotels in Mexico City
New York, NY
“Very good as expected”
Reviewed 25 February 2010

Stayed here for 3 nights and enjoyed the following: room was large and clean, all the staff we met were professional and bilingual, Polanco was a safe and posh area, new equipments in gym, room service food was decent
Didn't enjoy the following: no tub in my room (although my friend's room had one), cocktails at hotel bar were subpar, had to pay for drinking water in room, hotel-recommended drivers were misleading in price quotes for rides

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank amywolfieNewYork_NY

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
  • Greek first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 January 2010

The hotel is situated in the pleasant Polanco area, which is safe and has a good range of shops and restaurants.

The room was a good size, with an open plan bathroom that has a large, full height, clear glass window to views of the city. Oddly there's a hammock in there too. There's no bathtub so you get a wet floor shower room instead, which is slightly annoying as you have to walk through a flooded tiled floor after a shower to use the toilet.

The rest of the room was fine although if you find yourself in a room number ending 04 or 05, they are close to the lifts and you can sometimes hear the music that's played in the lift areas - annoying when you're trying to sleep. The hotel was full so I couldnt change my room.

I was slightly surprised to find no pool although there is a gym. Web access is not free either.

The bar was busy every night , mostly with locals, although the prices are high enough to keep the clientele fairly upmarket. Service was atttentive and brisk.

The restaurant was good except for slow service during breakfast, even during quiet periods.

Overall I'd stay again but I'd also consider other hotels in this area. The JW Marriott is next door and the Presidente Intercontinental is very closeby.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled on business
Prague, Czech Republic
Reviewed 16 December 2009

It was the last hotel on our mexican few weeks vacations. And how we were glad to stay there! It was our first W experience and we definitely found it different from other chains. Looking forward to have more of them in Europe. We enjoyed the design, music, smell. Restaurant offers very reasonably priced food which is tasty and good too. Every night very lively and young crowd at the bar with great Martinis. Close to good shops, many restaurants, citytours stop or metro station. All in all very nice experience. Pitty that checkout was very bad including bad attitude of male staff at the reception with surprise of non authorized additional charge to my CC which appeared after my return home....

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank travelalot2
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 6 December 2009

Out of a massive 5 weeks mexican honeymoon/wedding, this hotel, the room, and the service was without a doubt the highlight!!! Thank you so very much to stephen and his staff, for making our honeymoon a real WoW!! This hotel is located perfectly, it is chic and cool, and the staff are more than helpful. I can not say enough about this place, I highlt recconmend it to anyone looking for something special. Our time there was just incredible, thanks again.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed 2 December 2009

I stayed at the W Mexico City for four nights during a Thanksgiving Weekend vacation with friends. Having never been to Mexico City before, I had no idea what to expect. Boy, was I pleasantly surprised! This hotel is in a GREAT location - Polanco is a beautiful neighborhood and feels very safe (though you will see lots of army, police, and guards walking or driving around with machine guns).

The hotel staff was exceptionally nice and very friendly. The concierge arranged for us to have a car to pick us up at the airport and bring us directly to the hotel. We were greeted at reception with cookies and bottles of water, for which we were NOT charged. EVERYTHING else at the hotel, though, comes with a price attached! Internet access, coffee, water, etc...EVERYTHING. Do not even bother to drink the Voss or Fiji waters in your room - the Fiji was 54 pesos and the Voss was 89 pesos. For a mere FOURTEEN pesos, you can get a 5L bottle of water at the grocery store down the street.

Our room was huge - we had two queen beds (the rooms with 1 king are substantially smaller). There were only two major problems:

1. The room is very dark. Even with a big window and several lights, it was just hard to see very well. It's almost like they WANTED it to be dark in there. And the dark red walls only made it seem even darker.

2. The bathroom is AWFUL. The hammock is a fun novelty item, but the shower was TERRIBLE. It LOOKS super cool, but water got ALL OVER the floor, plus it was hard to get the water temperature to remain steady - it would stay at the temp I liked, then suddenly it would get SUPER hot and it was hard to readjust it. Also, the sink looked super cool, but water got ALL over the counters. Due to the layout of things, it was really hard to keep the counters clean.

The toiletries were wonderful, but for whatever reason, we never got replacements (and we tipped housekeeping every day). That was frustrating. Plus they threw away the bar of soap that I brought to use, and never did replace the hotel's brand of shower gel.

The bar downstairs is really nice. As one reviewer suggested, I tried the guacamole - it was superb! And the freshly made chips were outstanding. Drink prices weren't too bad, either. It was nice to be able to stay at the hotel if we wanted drinks but didn't feel like leaving. Also - I had ice in all my drinks (including water) and never got sick from it.

The hotel has 24 hour room service, which is nice at 4am, but is expensive for other times of the day. We tried room service breakfast one day, but then I realized that for about 200 pesos less, I could just go down to the bar and get the exact same thing and bring it back up to my room.

There are plentiful taxis and cars outside the hotel - the staff will help you get one, and there was never a wait. Despite what I heard about nightmarish taxi experiences in Mexico City, our drivers were wonderful and we always felt very safe. The hotel has several drivers they contract with as well - our favorite was a gentleman named Juan Carlos. Though he had the smallest car, he was very friendly and really went above and beyond what he needed to do to make our day really fun.

Very nice restaurants were within walking distance - we went to El Bajio twice, along with a really good place called Valentina's. If you want to try an amazing restaurant, take a taxi and go to La Hacienda de los Morales. That was the best meal we had while there.

By the way, everybody will tell you that all bars close at 3am - this is true in the Polanco area, but you can take a short cab ride to Condesa and easily stay out til 5am.

Overall, I would definitely stay the W again. The staff was GREAT and really went out of their way to ensure we had a great time.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank TinaRave
Hong Kong
Reviewed 17 November 2009

I did not and have never stayed in a W hotel.
Anyway, yesterday I was in D.F. (cause it's the Revolutionary Day) looking for some afternoon tea and snacks, and me and my friend quickly spot the W hotel (and the nearby Mariott) right across the Auditorium. I ordered a guacamole and my friend ordered some soup (I don't know hoe it is called but it's good, though a little salty).

Man, that was the BEST GUACAMOLE I have ever had.
It is of super generous proportion and it's only $95 peso!!!
It's fresh and the chips are very crispy.

BTW they also serve you a tiny piece of bread of your choice, and then the BUTTER/CREAMCHEESE is just something to die for.
(I think they do charge you for this tiny bread, 20 peso per person if i remember correctly)

Please, do yourself a favor and go try the guacamole!!!

Stayed November 2009, travelled with friends
UK
Reviewed 9 November 2009

I wouldn't stay at this hotel again if it was for free. We stayed for 4 nights and did not enjoy it at all. The hotel is too busy posing as a nightclub to succeed in making its guests feel comfortable and secure. I was with my boyfriend, we are both late twenties so were looking forward to staying in a cool hotel. We were wrong: the bar is at the front of the hotel as you enter, which is a huge security issue. We did not feel safe at all for a variety of reasons. If you want to enjoy your stay in Mexico City, stay somewhere else and (if you're tempted by some of the other reviews saying how cool this hotel is) just come here for a drink.
That said, I'd visit some of the other W hotels as I think this is a Mexico City issue.

Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple