“Great Service”

GreenLeadersBronze level
new jersey
“Great Service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2008

I and my wife had a good time staying at this particluar hotel for 5 days.Service from the front desk and restaurant employees are superb. The bed room is always keep clean and order.The whole facilities is conducive for our needs.

• Liked — great service from employees
  • Disliked — none
  • Stayed February 2008
2 Thank jflores5

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2007

My husband and I stayed in this hotel in our first visit to Mexico city. The location of the hotel is nice since it is pretty close to the Zocalo. However, there are not many restaurants around. Next time that we go to Mexico city we will stay close to the Reforma Avenue, which is still considered the historical district. We liked the places around Reforma Avenue better than the ones in the Zocalo area. We also felt saver and more comfortable around Reforma avenue.

This hotel is a chain that target business travelers therefore it was the standard business hotel. It was nice to have free-internet access though. Overall we had no problems there. It was a fine hotel. The staff was helpful and gave us all the information that we needed. In other reviews people complained of the size of the room and of the restroom - this was not a issue for us at all. We just needed a clean bed and a shower!!! We prefered to be outdoors and enjoy the city all day long.

They offer a guided tour that include the Plaza de las 3 Culturas + La Basilica de Guadalupe + the piramides (Teotihuacán). It is with a private driver and costs 60 USD per person. However, we decided that we would go only to Teotihuacán since we did not have much time there. We took the metro to the Central del Norte and then took the bus to Teotihuacán - the bus company is called autobuses Teotihuacan. We ended up spending 4 and 1/2 in the site and this was so cheap! I think that this is the best choice if you do not have much time available. In my opinion Teotihuacán is more impressive than any other historical site around Mexico city... with a private driver we would have had about 2 hours to walk around Teotihuacan by ourselves.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Not applicable
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled as a couple
2 Thank pithula
Mexico
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2007

You know more or less what to expect from the NH chain, a bit like Starbucks. But I have stayed in better hotels of this chain (NH Puebla, and NH Embajada in Madrid). Maybe they have better rooms here but mine is small, almost claustrophobic. Staff have several times just walked into the room, without knocking.

The bathroom: NARROW, you have to close and open doors to go from one half to another. The bath tub as someone pointed out is difficult and dangerous to get out of. They have stuffed a bath tub into a shower space. I would not recommend this for older travellers, getting out of the bath tub is dangerous!

Everything else is adequate and decent enough. They charge you about $11 for a day's Wifi internet connection. Also for the ecologically aware: they change sheets and towels every day! There is a note in the bathroom asking you to hang your towel if you do not want it washed: but they change it anyway, even if you ask them not to! I dare say they charge for the Internet so they can pay their water bills. This hotel is OK for two or three days.

• Liked — location, lobby
  • Disliked — charging for Wifi Internet, staff barging into your room..
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled solo
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2007

My boyfriend and I stayed at the NH Centro Historico for 8 nights in January. It was a great hotel. As a previous poster said, there are some quirky things: you do need to keep a key inserted to have the lights on, and getting in and out of the bathtub is a little awkward, although havinig a bathtub was great. The rooms are small, but when you're in Mexico City, who wants to be in the room! The room has a more modern feel; my bf especially liked the frosted glass bathroom door and the dark wood furniture.

The staff were great. They tried to sell us on tours, but remained amiable when we declined. When we took a side trip for a few days, we left our major luggage in our room (because we booked on Orbitz, we were still paying for it), and it was secure when we returned.

We ordered room service a few times. The food, in my opinion, was reasonably priced for room service, especially given the quality. (I've only ordered room service in the US before, and this was much better quality food). Again, though, it was a little inconsistent: I ordered the same salad twice, and the second time it lacked some of the ingredients. With two of our meals, we ordered Coca-Cola, but only once were the bottles opened.

The only other issue was that the two taxis we used while in DF didn't recognize the name of the hotel. Maybe with time, this will change, but it's a good idea to have the address, and possibly the names of the cross-streets, with you, as one driver asked us about that.

Still, the location and quality far outweigh what we saw as minor issues. I would definitely stay here again!

• Liked — location and overall hotel quality
  • Stayed January 2007, travelled as a couple
2 Thank carab20
Chicago, IL
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 December 2006

If you book the NH Centro Historico directly on their website, you will find the lowest rates. We paid $69 for one night, a great price for this type of hotel, although it may have been because it was a very slow time over Christmas weekend. As another posted commented, it is a serene and quiet place, a lovely change from the total chaos just steps away from the hotel. The location is perfect and extremely convenient. The hotel is nicely decorated. The room was a bit small, but also nicely decorated with a king-sized bed, desk and chair, TV, air conditioning, bathtub/shower combo and black-out drapes. The rooms are soundproofed which means you hear very little from the street and nothing from the hallways - again, may have been because the hotel seemed to be virtually empty. There is a lovely 5th floor restaurant with an outdoor terrace - we did not eat there but it looked very nice. My complaints are small but annoying. The first room we were given was not clean or ready for guests and reeked of smoke. We had asked for a smoking room but this room smelled like there had been a party of smokers. They changed the room without a problem but gave us a non-smoking room. There was a coffee maker, which I had noticed in the hotel information, but no coffee and only one cup. When we asked for coffee, sugar, etc and another cup, they said they would bring it. When we returned later, we did not find these items and when we asked again, we were told they have no coffee. This struck me as strange - why furnish a room with a coffee maker and advertise this if there is no coffee available? This was a small thing and was probably because there was a Starbucks downstairs attached to the lobby. I also chose the hotel because I wanted a bathtub. It was a very small bathtub and difficult to enter - a small step and strange, moveable half-door was somewhat in the way. But both the shower and bathtub were fine - it appeared to be a rather complex design that didn't exactly work. They had toiletries but we had to ask for extra soap as they provided only one small bar for the sink. They also advertise that newspapers are available in the lobby, but they had none. Other than these minor things. we found the hotel to be high quality and a great price. It served our purposes well - a quiet place, comfortable hotel, conveniently located. I would stay there again and would recommend it over other hotels in the area if you are able to get such a good price and are looking for quiet and peace!

• Liked — Quiet room, great location, bathtub
  • Tips/Secrets — Book on their website!
  • Stayed December 2006, travelled with family
3 Thank AndreaChilanga
Dublin, Ireland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2006

The NH Centro Historico is well located, a block away from the Zócalo, close enough to be near, but on a quiet street. The hotel is new (or recently refurbished) and has a pleasant business hotel ambiance. The room is pleasant, decorated in the modern fashion with lots of lights for show and mutiple light switches. My room looked out on a courtyard, little more than a lightwell really, but this was quiet. There was a large TV with several movie channels in English, CNN and a variety of local stations in Spanish. The free wireless access is an appealing feature and this worked fine for me.

A few things spoiled the high standards set by the room decor. The bath/shower was surrounded by a thick wall which made getting in and out unecessarily difficult. You had to put your key card in a holder by the door to operate the room electrics, however the clock had no backup battery, and so lost its settings each time you went out of the room! There was a coffee maker in the room, with one coffee pack when I arrived, however although I stayed for a week this was not replaced. The buffet breakfast was fair, but smoking is allowed in the sections right beside where the food is served. On one day when I ordered a room service breakfast, via the card you hang on the door, it arrived 45 minutes late! When I called room service and asked if the person spoke English the phone was left down with a grunt and nobody returned to it, nor was I transferred to the front desk where the friendly staff do speak excellent English ( I then called them myself).

The NH Centro Historico is in a fine building and has the potential to be very good but they need to look at some of the details.

• Liked — Internet access
  • Stayed July 2006, travelled solo
5 Thank gaelflyer
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2006

The NH Centro Historico is new and stylishly decorated. The rooms, while not terribly large, are very clean and comfortable, and have nice modern furnishings. The bathrooms are particularly attractive. The rooftop restaurant is pleasant, and I really enjoyed the "Huevos NH" for breakfast. The service, both in the restaurant and the hotel, was very warm and efficient. The views are not particularly inspiring; half the rooms face a very drab courtyard, and the other half look out onto a 1970's-era bank. The other down-side is that the centro historico area, while very lively during the day, can be a ghost town at night. Overall I enjoyed my stay there very much and would gladly return in the future.

• Stayed July 2006