“Great Rooms, Great Service”

Crowne Plaza Hotel de Mexico
Ranked #68 of 306 Hotels in Mexico City
Overland Park, Kansas
“Great Rooms, Great Service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2007

My wife and I had a wedding in Feb. 2007 in Mexico City and we used this hotel for out-of-town guests and for our own use before leaving for our honeymoon. We had a total of about 10 rooms and nobody had any complaints. The hotel is in a convenient and safe location of Mexico City.

All rooms had computer monitors with free internet access, which kept everyone in touch with home by e-mail. The rooms also had jacuzzi tubs with seperate showers.

The service was above average compared to other hotels in Mexico, and
much better than most hotels in the U.S.

Stayed February 2007
1 Thank travman1031
Miguel Angel R, Gerente at Crowne Plaza Hotel de Mexico, responded to this review, 19 March 2014
Dear Travman1031,

We appreciate you taking the time to make us aware of your great experience during your stay.

Congratulations for your weeding and we hope you will continue to use Crowne Plaza Hotel de Mexico your home in Mexico City.

Kind Regards

Front Office Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
London, England
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2006

I have stayed at this hotel a number of times and have always been impressed by the quality of the rooms (new, stylish, great bathroom), but the quality of the service has been consistantly terrible. The check-in and bar staff are truly horrendous, and I think that the hotel must have made it a priority to employ such sullen, unresponsive personnel as generally in Mexico the service is great.

This is certainly a management problem (they just don't care), and when I asked to speak to ANYONE from management, there was no one available! Oh, and if you want a late check-out of more than 2 hours, they will charge you A FULL EXTRA DAY. Unacceptable.

• Liked — Rooms
  • Disliked — Service
  • Tips/Secrets — Stay in the hotel if you don't need to ever have any dealings with the staff.
  • Stayed October 2006
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank Biz_Traveller Latin America
Dear Customer,

Thank you for the nice comment about the Hotel and please allow me this opportunity to apologize for the bad service from our staff.
We would like the opportunity to welcome you back in an effort to provide you the level of service you expect from this Hotel.

Crowne Plaza Hotel de Mexico
A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2006

While this hotel has some large rooms, it also has tiny uncomfortable rooms. If you decide to stay at this hotel check your room before you accept to stay in it. I was assigned room 1432. It is very small and uncomfortable. To be able to walk accross te room you need to move the chair against a wall. It is impossible to keep the chair in front of the desk and move freely accross the room. In addition, the bathroom is so small that if you keep the door open it blocks access to the toilet.

The restaurant has good food, but the service sucks. I had dinner with a group of ten and the waiter got all the orders mixed up. He forgot to place my order at the same time he placed all orders and finally presented a raw fish when everyone in my group was ready to leave.

I don'recommend this hotel unless you like small rooms and bad service.

• Stayed May 2006, travelled on business
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Dear Customer,

Please allow me this opportunity to apologize for the inconvenience you experienced during your stay. Your comments have been reviewed by the hotel Management and appropriate action has been taken.
Thank you for your stay and we look forward to your return visit.

New Brunswick Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2006

Just spent 3 days at the Crowne Plaza Hotel de Mexico.
This is a brand new hotel right down the street from the World Trade Center.
Rooms were clean, spacious and I found all the amenities great, including the wall mounted panel for control of lights, housekeeping call, DND etc. The bed was one of the more comfortable beds I have been in at a hotel. Bathroom was good size with a small jacuzzi tub and stand up shower.

As far as the food, I did not do room service, as they have an excellent Italian restaurant on the premises. We had a large party, and all 3 nights we chose to return there for dinner. Great wine, and great food, especially the home made pasta dishes. Yes the service is a little slow, but that is typical.

Staff was very friendly.

I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed March 2006, travelled on business
1 Thank Decker1
Dear Decker 1,

Thank you for your great comments about this Hotel, your home in México, we are very happy to know that your stay was Excellent!
Once again thank you fo your thoughtful comments and we look forward to the opportunity of serving you in the future.

Chile
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2006

This hotel opened in November 2005 so is relatively new.

Good points.
The room I had(1409 but this is on the fourth floor as the hotel is only 10 storeys) which I understand was a standard room was large, it must have been about 9 metres by 6 metres so there was plenty of space. The problem is the design of the room is not very good, I kept on thinking it was designed by some student in HotelDesign 101 or something my 6 year old would have designed. There is a desk but small(60cm x 120cm, another table but also very small, a king size with a seat at the end bed a armoire containing the TV, bar fridge etc and lots of open space. It just didn't feel confortable. They would have been better putting in a sofa and coffee table. They had a computer screen in the room which you could use to surf the net but it was designed all wrong, that is the keyboard was slide out under the desk, the mouse had a short cord, and table too small to put the screen somewhere useful - also it wasn't much use except to surf as it didn't have a media player or real player, or MS messenger etc so its useless for what I usually use a computer for. The bathroom was also large with both a stand up shower and a tub. I really liked the shower - in the morning there was hot water, in the evening only cold water.

The bad points.
Internet access that doesn't work - they have a free wifi but it is a hassle to connect - you have to ring the operator who puts you through to some surly computer guy who gives you the username and password. They also, to bug me even more, change the username and password everyday so you have to ring again. The wifi connection was very weak, so weak I couldn't use it - sometimes I could get google but normally it would freeze and would have to relogin - basically useless.

Food was terrible. I ordered room service the two nights I was there - the first night I order a Chicken Lemon Rice - I couldn't eat it. Next night a steak which was a bit better but they covered it in salt so it was just barely edible.

Check-in: when I arrived there was a few people waiting to checkin and it appeared that it was first to push in first served - it was really bugging me as people arrived after me and just pushed and got served - no one seemed to be able to organise a line or some sort of order. It was the same each morning when I had to organise a taxi. The two mornings I was there were no taxis available so you had to wait and people would just turn up and grab a taxi whilst other people like me would miss out and the bellboys and other staff just didn't see anything wrong with this. I know its common in Mexico but not when you are staying in a good hotel. Someone in management needs to teach the staff that the first there are first served or to organise queues.

Noise - it is in a relatively quiet street by Mexico city standards however they put in thin windows - I can't believe in a city as noisy as Mexico with car alarms, traffic noise, airconditioner noise they would use cheap windows on a new hotel - probably just to save money or they just were not thinking.
The reason I noticed it was a car alarm went off outside my window and just kept on going and going and going.

There were other small things that kept on bugging me such as they have a panel to turn off the lights next to the bed but when you turn off the lights it turns off all power so if your laptop is connected it is going to drain the battery. Also when you turn on the lights from this panel it also automatically turns on the TV - in the end I unplugged the TV.

To summarise this hotel has a lot of potential to be good but the staff were just not with it or just didn't seem to care - maybe they are all new and they will get better eventually. As such I don't think I would stay here again - I usually stay at the Nikko which was the same price US$150/night and a much better run hotel.

• Stayed March 2006, travelled on business
4 Thank munizaga
Dear Munizaga,

Please allow me this opportunity to apologize for the inconveniences you experienced during your stay; Your willingness to share your thougths is appreciated.

Thank you for your stay and I hope you will allow us the opportunity to serve your future lodging needs.