“Location, location!”

Ranked #192 of 310 Hotels in Mexico City
Vancouver
“Location, location!”
Reviewed 2 May 2014 via mobile

I paid $65/night as extra nights before & after a food tour with Intrepid, but I think price if you pay in Mexico is less. Breakfast included, decent rooms that open on a courtyard. Wifi worked mostly in lobby. Good service, safe worked in one room but not in another. Surprisingly quiet. Best is location: 2 blocks from Zocalo & metro stop, Madero street & endless shops & restaurants. I loved Jugos de Canada, a torta/sandwich & juice shop off Madero & El Moro café for churros & coffee, open late, & the tacos al pastor next to El Moro are best in the city (at west end of Madero). Loved Mexico City, easy to take metro, free salsa classes at Mama Rumba. Only complaint is the police close off the streets around the Zocalo to cars at about midnight so had to walk about 3-4 blocks from taxi, but felt safe as it was the time of the peregrinos (pilgrims) before Christmas & a lot of country folk were sleeping in the Zocalo so lots of cops around.

• Stayed December 2013
1 Thank liltravlr

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Mexico
Reviewed 18 April 2014

I stayed here a few years ago two or three times, and really liked it. This time my visit wasn't as great; the room showed obvious signs of wear and tear (chipped paint, a tear in the sheets) and worst of all, the water from the shower leaked into the closet, which we discovered on our day of checkout when we took my boyfriend's backpack out of the closet and found it soaking wet. Fortunately the receptionist immediately offered to have it dried for us, and by the time we checked out, the backpack was ready and someone from maintenance was checking the pipes behind the closet. Still, that part of our stay wasn't great. Plus, service at both the restaurant and the reception desk was consistently very slow.

The positives include the unbeatable location right behind the Cathedral, the inexpensive rates, the flat-screen TVs, the high degree of cleanliness, and the decent and very accessibly priced restaurant. I still like this hotel despite the wet closet incident.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Viljandi, Estonia
Reviewed 22 November 2013

It is noisy and not very clean hotel, but I didn´t care, because itś really cheap and the location is very-very good. The stuff is friendly and helped us a lot.
We were 3 adults and 1 child and we took 1 room, so there was not too much space, but it was still ok for us.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
oaxaca
Reviewed 9 March 2013

I first stayed at Hotel Azores a few years ago, and thought it was okay, and good value for the money. This visit pleasantly surprised me because the hotel vastly exceeded my expectations. Staff was helpful, room was extremely clean, now with flat screen TVs, and value and location cannot be topped. I was travelling with a friend who had his own room, and another couple who similarly had their own room, so I was able to see three rooms. We were all impressed. I booked directly with the hotel, and stressed that I wanted a king bed, and my request was honoured. I recommend spending a few dollars more for a king if one is available. Rooms are small, but that's hard to get away from. Hot water was what one sometimes expects in Mexico, warm and tardy in arriving, but acceptable. Otherwise, no complaints at all. The location, a couple of blocks from the zócalo, and in the heart of downtown, easy taxi ride to anywhere, cannot be topped. I speak Spanish, so cannot comment on what experience you will have if you don't, in terms of communicating with staff and reserving directly with the hotel. But you can book online using a travel booking website as well.

Room Tip: Get a king if it's available. Otherwise, I did see a room with two doubles, and it was fine.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Mezcal_Tours
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 14 December 2011

I've always loved this hotel for its location and impeccable cleanliness and business class environment for a budget price. I have to say though during my recent stay the hotel seems to be going downhill. The staff was very unfriendly, and even downright rude. The hotel has taken away some amenities and is charging more for basic necessities. The staff was unwilling to help out with any request. This was very surprising as the staff has been great each time I've stayed in the past.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
5 Thank vegas r
Rome, Italy
Reviewed 21 September 2011

Right in the centre, few minutes walking from Zocalo, Azores is a good cheap hotel, with clean rooms and private bathroom. Perfect for visiting Mexico City.
We did not eat at the restaurant, when in Mexico City we always prefer to eat whe locals do.
We stayed there twice and hope to come back soon! :)

Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ultraviolet77
Cancun
Reviewed 9 June 2010

Historical sites and thousands of little stores are located a few steps from the hotel.
The rooms are tiny but comfortable and the most important: safety box to keep a laptop

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with friends