“Great location...some improvements needed”

Four Points by Sheraton Mexico City Col. Roma
Ranked #112 of 310 Hotels in Mexico City
Orlando, Florida, USA
“Great location...some improvements needed”
Reviewed 3 November 2013

This hotel is in a great location for those looking to mingle with the locals and enjoy excellent dining experiences in Colonia Roma. It is within walking distance to many restaurants. Zona Rosa is a 25 mins walk. I even walked to Bosque de Chapultepec... but that walk was 50 mins 1 way. Breakfast was good.
I encourage the hotel to improve the shower. It seems to spray a bit outside of the area.

Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Masaronet

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
  • Greek first
Palm City, Florida
Reviewed 21 October 2013

First, the location is excellent.. It's in Roma, which is active and safe. We went to the 99 down the street for dinner and it was outstanding.
Okay, rooms.. very nice, very clean... with the following exceptions. The floors have an open area which echo all the sounds, so you'll hear everything.
Don't get a room facing the street. It's active and can get noisy.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
South Carolina
Reviewed 11 October 2013

This is a very nice hotel in a very nice location. The rooms are very nice, the bed are firm. The staff is also very good. The breakfast had plenty of varities of hot and cold food.
The only Issue I had with them is they booked me a half day city tour of Mexico with Mexican Highlights Esttur and that was not worth it. Due to their internal problems and fights we only had 2 hour of tour time than the 5 hour promised. But other than that the staff was very helpful. Will surely go back there.

Room Tip: Ask for room 710 it is on the higher floor and away from all the main road traffic.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 9 October 2013

I was a bit worried about the location, however it was ideal!

Roma is a great neighborhood with excellent restaurants. Hotel is safe, clean, and quiet. The area is a great blend of old and New Mexico City. Never once did I feel unsafe.

Would definitely return here again.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 September 2013

I stayed here for 5 nights recently for a little holiday in DF and it was fantastic from the moment I checked in to the moment I left. The staff were friendly and helpful, the room was spacious and functional with a nice, firm bed (I love the beds in Mexico), and the restaurant had good food.

The neighbourhood is super-trendy, with lots of nice restaurants, bars & bookstores and I enjoyed wandering through the park that runs along the middle of the avenue looking at the statues and fountains and people. Col. Roma is also conveniently located and I walked easily from the Zona Rosa...even late at night. Also close to the Metrobus, which I used....I don't venture into the subway because there is simply too much to see above ground.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
Asbury Park, New Jersey
Reviewed 1 August 2013

Stayed here for a few nights with my sister who was there on business. The location was good, there were restaurants and markets nearby on certain days, and the subway stop wasn't too far (maybe six blocks?). Decent area, you could flag down a cab outside no problem.

The room was fine, typical four points business hotel room with a nice big desk. Having three free water bottles in the room (replaced every day) was a huge plus for us! The bathroom setup was nice too, with the shower and toilet in one room with the sink and vanity area in the open hotel room. The shower has three dispensers built in, one for conditioner, one for shampoo and one for body wash. The night we got there it was out of conditioner; it was late so we only shampooed :( The next night it was still empty even after housekeeping had cleaned our room, so I went down to the front desk to ask for some (calling the front desk was near impossible given the language barrier- forget trying to order room service, just go down to the restaurant). Anyway, she said they had no conditioner and suggested I walk to the oxxo (like a Mexican 7-11). I wasn't pleased and she could tell, so somehow when they sent someone up to the room with the towel I had also requested, there were three small conditioner bottles sent up also.

Each floor of the hotel has a table setup outside the elevator with coffee and fruit infused water which was really pleasant, each day when we left and each night when we returned we'd try the new flavored water. The Kiwi infused water was our favorite.

The wifi signal wasn’t strong at all in our room, but there are computers in the lobby; they let you use them for free for 15 minutes and then after that you pay. They also charged me when I used the phone at the front desk to call my bank (an 1800 number). When we ate at the restaurant, I tried to charge it to my room and was told that even though I had given the clerk a credit card upon check in, there was none on file and so I would have to pay cash. I didn't argue, just accepted it paid in pesos and left. These were minor inconveniences that don't really matter to me, but I mention them as they could potentially bother some less easy going travelers.

I thought the ATM in the lobby would be really convenient, but it wouldn't allow me to withdraw any money. It kept saying my bank was declining the transaction. I called my bank, they said they weren't. Turns out I was trying to withdraw too large of an amount of pesos, and only much later in my trip, after speaking to other Americans who suggested we try smaller withdrawals, was I able to access my money. Apparently this is done to prevent fraud, although I think all it does is increase the amount of bank and atm fees I paid. I couldn't withdraw 500 pesos, but I could withdraw 100 pesos 5 times. Made no sense to me at all. The front desk was absolutely no help during this crisis.

Often times there were large groups of people in the lobby strewn about seemingly either waiting to check in or out. At one point my sister and I left our room to go down the hall for some water, and when we returned the key we had just entered with didn't let us back in. We had to go down to the lobby through the crowd in our pajamas and get a new one. I understand those types of technological glitches happen, but what got me was when we went down to the front desk, they didn't ask ANYTHING of us except our room number, and then simply made new keys. Didn't ask for ID or even the name on the reservation, we were just given keys to the room no questions asked. We got locked out again later in our trip (not sure why the keys would randomly decide to stop working), but this time we weren't inclined to go down to the lobby so we used the phone in the hallway to call the front desk. They sent someone up who had a new key; he just handed the key to us and walked away. I got the sense that if someone really wanted to get into someone else's room, they could easily request a key if only they had the room number. As far as I know that didn't happen, I'm just saying it probably could have.

Despite all of this, and mainly because one night runs less than 4,000 spg points, I would stay here again if in Mexico City.

Room Tip: Rooms on higher floors are less noisy. Not all rooms have exterior windows, some rooms have windows...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank jerseysl33
Reviewed 1 July 2013

The rooms look nice. That's it. The acoustics of the building is extremely poor and so is the insulation of the rooms. I was given a room on the second floor and, even not being next to the elevator, I was really annoyed at any time by the extremely loud "pling pling" of the elevator arriving on the floor (and maybe also on the other floors). At 5 or 6 am I could perfectly hear the noise of the cutlery being handled by the waiters to set the tables for breakfast. At 11 pm I could "enjoy" the music from the lobby....in other words, rest is confined to deep night only! Maybe such a problem is not faced by customers sitting on the 7th floor, but unfortunately they offer rooms also at much lower floors. If one is really lucky he could get a room with an inner window only, overlooking the lobby! (yes the hotel has some rooms like this!)

Other than this, if you still want to go (and take a room on any of the lowers floors), the staff speaks english and is helpful, the breakfast is just ok, the location is fine.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Pierluigi B
Manherdz, Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Mexico City Col. Roma, responded to this review, 1 August 2013
Dear Pierluigi B;

I am sorry that you had the problem of noise in your room, as you mention we have a dome in the lobby that makes noise can be heard a little harder and also you were on a lower floor, we are improving the issue of lifting not hear that annoying bell and try to do everything possible to solve this problem, for now I can only offer a sincere apology and on your next stay if I may I offer an upgrade to jr suite where noise is much lower and the view of the city is very nice, please please contact me and I will give much pleasure to serve you personally,

Greetings and I am at your service.

Manuel Hernandez