“Standard hostel in a central location”
Review of Mexico City Hostel

Mexico City Hostel
London, United Kingdom
“Standard hostel in a central location”
Reviewed 1 December 2013

3 nights spent here in a private room. Average price. Very clean showers and toilets. Clean rooms. Wi-fi was painfully slow. Didn't use kitchen...but it's there. Breakfast was good. Beers and drinks are well priced. Location is great if you want to be smack in the middle of the center. Very close to Metro.
Our room had no outside window, but for some reason, had a window to the hallway. This had a very thin curtain. This is a pointless and irritating design as there is a motion sensor light in the hallway. Every time someone walked past (which happened a lot obviously) our room was brightly lit up. Waking us up very often.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 28 October 2013

The hostel staff: Jorge, Pfina, Daniel and Leonardo were just amazing. Very professional and always had directions for me even though I had to ask about 4 times where something was. Great job you guys, I thank you so much you made my stay all the more enjoyable. Also to the “Motorcycle Man and his wife, who came in every morning to help with breakfast and do any maintenance around the place. Sorry I couldn’t stay longer to enjoy a ride on you motorcycle.
Mexico City Hostel was an excellent place to stay. Right in the middle of everything happening and only about a 3 minute walk to the “Zacola” Square. First of all, it is not the Hostel that is in the “professional Photos”. Those belong to the newly remodeled sister Hostel right cross the street. The one that you are most likely to stay in is the “older” Mexico City Hostel. First of all you enter through an iron gate, passing the small smoking lounge on you way. The reception area is at the other end. In the main lounge there is wonderful artwork, a working fountain and other artful items. There are tables with what I believe are animal hide chairs. A restroom and laundry which by the way cost 55 Pesos for 1-5 pounds. Whoever did my laundry did a fantastic job, going so far as to fold and button all items neatly. (Other places have just thrown everything in the bag and handed it back to me and some items, like my pants weren’t even dry). The hostel is large and has a total of 4 floors. The floor above the reception/lounge area is level one where the two computers and the dinning room is. On the second level is the TV lounge where you can chill out and watch TV or movies. Even take a nap if you don’t want to climb to your room on the 3rd or 4th level. On the 3rd and 4th level are the rooms. I booked into an all female 12 bed dorm. I was the only one in there for all of my 10 day stay. The bunk beds were very comfortable with a nice heavy blanket which was not needed because it was rather warm inside. Very large lockers to stow your belongings in and I do mean large. (Don’t forget to bring your own lock and key). There was no table or chair to sit at so you had to either sit on the floor or on the bunk which was a little uncomfortable to do because the distance between the top bunk and yours did not have enough head room. Being 5 feet, 8 inches I had to bend over so as not to hit my head on the top bunk. The bunk beds are metal so watch out for any sharp edges. The down side was that there were no curtains to the windows that faced the outer court so people could see in. The bathroom with multiple showers and toilets (about 9) were in excellent condition. Housekeeping kept them scrubbed and tidy every single day. Plenty of hot water while I was there. Breakfast of course was free and began at around 8 am. There was plenty of fruit, bread for toast, juice, coffee, tea, yogurt, oats and scrambled eggs every morning, though sometimes the scrambled eggs had “Green Beans” added, otherwise a nice start to the day. What I liked was the night Security guard who comes on about 7pm each evening and stays until about 7 am. At night the area can be a little empty but no worries because the “Policia” is out in force all the time. Located on the corner is a 7-11 and also an ATM machine just down the block. (the bank does not take money to exchange; you have to go to another bank or to the money exchange. There is another little store down the block and around the corner that sells fresh fruits and veggies, can goods and other items that are far cheaper than 7-11. The area is nice with loads of jewelry shops, purse and luggage stores and really big used bookstores, though most of the books are in “Spanish” with some titles in “English”. Don’t mind the salespeople who hang around the front door which I found annoying. Just walk past them to enter.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank asolotraveler40
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 18 October 2013

I was very pleased with my stay here. The rooms were really fresh and nice. The staff were friendly and serviceminded. It's really close to the central station. Around the hostel area there were plenty of places to eat. I will defently stay here if I visit mexicoagain!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 3 October 2013 via mobile

Slept there for one night in the dorms.
Rooms are small and crowded, the kitchen smell very bad, the hangout spaces are not welcoming, there is no real bar...
I guess it fits the older crowd, it is quiet and clean.

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank UdiFreeze
Vancouver, B.C.
Reviewed 2 September 2013

My husband and I (elderly folk!) booked a private room in Mexico City Hostel for 6 nights at the end of our overland trip from Cancun. Initially we had reservations about staying in a hostel but this hostel exceeded our expectations. The place is in a very central location a block away from the Zocalo. It is spotless, with lots of light, space and attractive decor. It has a central area with computers and TV as well as a dining room and kitchen with fridge and cooking facilities which is lovely to have after a long day's excursion to be able to "stay home" for dinner! A hearty breakfast of eggs, cereal, toast, fruit, tea/coffee was included. Our room was large with a private bathroom and small balcony. It was spotless and cleaned daily. Towels were provided. All rooms have lockers for security. A security guard attends at the hostel overnight.

Front desk staff Amanda and Cesar were beyond helpful and efficient: From checking in to contacting our tour company due to difficulties in traffic restrictions (due to Tent Demonstrators) to letting us borrow an umbrella to printing our boarding passes. Thank You Amanda and Cesar!!!

One suggestion regarding the items in the communal fridge some of which appeared to have been there for some time: A simple sign asking that all items be dated and anything over a week will be tossed!

Room Tip: If it is important to you ask for a room with a window as some rooms do not have windows leading on...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Tsukubamirai, Japan
Reviewed 13 August 2013 via mobile

I made an online reservation at this hostel through their own website. I spent all day travelling from Guatemala to here and just wanted to relax when I arrived. However, they could not find my reservation when I arrived. I showed them the email and reservation number, but this didn't seem to help. After various phone calls and paper shuffling and 20 minutes of waiting they gave me a room. When I arrived at the room it was occupied by another client. So I had to go back downstairs and get another. They gave me another room, which thankfully was unoccupied. I went out for dinner and returned about 11pm only to be kept awake until 4am by other clients in the foyer talking and drinking.

Now I am aware that this is a hostel and many people who use hostels like to party, but the acoustics of this building do not allow for a comfortable night's sleep if a party population is in residence. It might be worth considering a room, away from the central foyer (the rooms are all around it) where people can enjoy themselves without disturbing other guests.

The hostel is in a great location, perfect in fact. However, if you want to sleep at all, I'm sorry to say I'd advise you go elsewhere.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank Gingerbeards
Xerta, Spain
Reviewed 9 July 2013

we stayed at Mexico city hostel after landing into Mexico city airport and the location was central,just besides the Zocalo where we watched the live parade and we visited the cathedral and museums which where just less than 3 mins walk.This hostel is good for first timers in Mexico city as it is in a safe location where heavily armed police always guide 24/7.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends