“There isn´t anything I can recommend from this hotel”

City Express Plus Insurgentes Sur
Ranked #76 of 305 Hotels in Mexico City
“There isn´t anything I can recommend from this hotel”
Reviewed 24 February 2014

I had stayed in another two hotels in Mexico City and this one surprised me with their lack of service, policies, training, customer relations and care... It´s unbelievable.

I will list a couple of things so you can figure why not to choose this hotel:

- First thing on arrival they have a promo with 15th off. How lucky I am because I need a second bedroom for a team mate. I book it (through a phone that is never working properly, staff at the front desk are not prepared to book rooms). But how funny because when my team member doesn´t arrive on time I am in need of a delay on the room. They cancel the room and looks like there aren´t anymore rooms... what? I just had one cancelled (without asking for a cancellation, just a delay or cancellation of 1 day). I manage to convince them that the room was never requested to be cancelled so that there is a room free for sure... when they book it (in the same non working phone) the promotion can´t be applied... a mess.

Then you have the continental breakfast. 2 fruits, ham, a broken toaster, bread. Make sure you have some because if you after breakfast want to have a sandwich they never arrive. Ordered a room service of a simple sandwich... it never makes it to my room, nobody knew about my call, someone forgot to do their job looks like.. (we ordered a sandwich on the first day and it took them something like 20 minutes (ham, lettuce and tomato, no room service, just waiting for them to make it).

Also add the fact that they have very few seats and on top of it they reserve the outdoor space for events (can´t they start after breakfast? In the end they only offer 2 hour breakfast).

Then let´s add up the rest of the services:
- Today at 6.50 a room maid knocked shouting on the room next door... he was bringing towels! Well that´s just brilliant.
- Everyday, including the weekend, the maids go room by room knocking on doors shouting "laundryyyyy" at 8.15. It´s fabulous for a jet lag or after a hard week of work. Oh! Make sure you put the "privacy please" sign, otherwise they just OPEN your door... WOW

I´m sure I can go on and on, with the gym (a bike from 1900, a treadmill and a crosstrainer that challenges time), with the wardrobes (no doors, no space)... but I´m sure that´s enough for a starter.

Good luck on your trip!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Raquel M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Alexandria, Virginia
Reviewed 22 January 2014

My mom, husband and I stayed here for 3 nights in November for a wedding. The check-in process was longer than expected but the girl was in training. unfortunately no one thought to help her when she was having trouble. Later we noticed that they charged us way more for the room than originally planned so we had to work that out and in the end got charged double exchange fees for the mishap of the hotel. Reading the reviews, we asked for a room facing the courtyard. I think because of that our room was always very dark. We asked for a courtyard facing room to avoid noise but we could hear everyone in the rooms next to ours (and the elevator). The walls are paper thin and rooms were small. Breakfast was horrible coffee, some bread, some cold cuts and cheese. On the positive, staff were nice greeting us, location is ideal (if you are familiar with Mexico City), beds were comfortable, very clean rooms and hotel in general.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Marlen C, Guest Relations Manager at City Express Plus Insurgentes Sur, responded to this review, 24 January 2014
Dear guest,

We appreciate the valuable feedback that you have sent us, talking about the inconveniences with the room and coffee is very important that you let us know this and any situation immediately through our front desk area in charge to help you,

We are working in these areas of opportunity waiting to having you soon.
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 1 January 2014

It's a pretty bland hotel. I'm pretty sure that you can find something with more character and amenities at about the same price. I stayed here because it was close to where my friend lives, but now that I know the city a little bit better I would feel comfortable staying elsewhere.

Desk help was friendly and helpful, but the breakfasts were minimal. The rooms were clean but lacked little things that can make a difference. Like enough drinking glasses, washcloths etc.

There is a VIPS restaurant attached to the hotel and the ambiance and food matched the mediocrity of the hotel.

Room Tip: I had an inside room far from the elevator which had a view of a courtyard that was covered by some...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank jonnyf8
Marlen C, Guest Relations Manager at City Express Plus Insurgentes Sur, responded to this review, 3 January 2014
Dear Guest
We just want to send a short note to say that we are aware of the drawback of our hotel. We commit ourselves to continue to improve our services to meet 100% with your needs.
Thank you very much and hope to see you there at other times
We remain at your entire disposal, we parted.
Reviewed 13 December 2013 via mobile

Well I went there to make a reservation and pay for the days my family would stay there, the day they came in my family called me saying that the lady didn't recognize not even the payment but the reservation either. Later when I went there to visit them I found a lot of thrash and old mattresses on the hallways (just uploaded a picture). Still they told me they had a good time there. I'm not so sure I would go there as my first choice to host my family again.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Marlen C, Guest Relations Manager at City Express Plus Insurgentes Sur, responded to this review, 30 December 2013
Dear Guest

First of all I want to offer you an apology for any inconvenience during your stay in reference with the incident with the service as this helps us to identify our areas of opportunity and work on them to improve the quality of our services; we reported that we have implemented corrective action in relation to your comment.
Waiting us the chance to have your preference and serve you as you deserve.
We are at your service.
GREETINGS
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 August 2013

This hotel is in the south so very convenient for places such as Coyoacan, UNAM, San Angel, etc., but not so close to the city centre, Condesa, Polanco, etc. If your trip is focused in the south of the city, this is a good place to stay: very comfortable rooms, excellent service, good value. The breakfast is very simple and not great, but overall it was a great stay (stayed 4 nights in August 2013).

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Mauricio200
Marlen C, Guest Relations Manager at City Express Plus Insurgentes Sur, responded to this review, 5 August 2013
Good afternoon Mauricio,

Thanks for contacting us, it is a pleasure to know that your stay in our hotel City Express Insurgentes, meet your expectations and know that our standards of service and quality, made ​​to feel very comfortable during their stay.

We said goodbye to you, but first thank you for your preference.

Best Regards
San Diego, CA
Reviewed 2 June 2013

We chose this hotel based on the location, and it worked well for us. The hotel is pretty new, and is very clean and modern and safe. The staff is very friendly, attentive and helpful. There are two restaurants with entrances on the lower floor of the hotel- we enjoyed the Argentine restaurant (El Diego) but did not try the other (VIPS- a chain restaurant like Denny's). The rooms are not large, but the floor-to-ceiling window made them bright. There was ample space to lay our suitcases. (Pictures that are posted by the hotel are accurate.) There was a hairdryer and an iron and ironing board. The beds are really firm with fluffy comforters. The bathrooms have big showers but no tubs. The air conditioner made a funny sound, kind of like an aquarium, but it worked well. There are staff on the property 24 hours a day, so getting a taxi before 5:00 a.m. was not a problem. There is a business center with free internet access, and the rooms have free wi-fi. Breakfast is included.

The downsides: There is a TV the size of a computer monitor which was hard to see from the beds. There is no clock in the room, so we relied on our cell phones when we needed an alarm, although wake-up calls are offered.

We would stay there again, for sure.

Room Tip: Rooms near the front can get street noise, so ask for a room at the back.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
ControlCalidad, Guest Relations Manager at City Express Plus Insurgentes Sur, responded to this review, 4 June 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to let us know that our hotel City Express Insurgentes exceeded their expectations and have made ​​me feel very comfortable. We appreciate the confidence he had in sharing their experience
Thank you very much and hope to keep their presence on other occasions
Regards
Canton of Basel, Switzerland
Reviewed 25 February 2013

If you are looking for a hotel that is more to South, ie closer to San Angel, Coyoacan, or the business cluster around Plaza Inn, or the Torre Insurgentes, this hotel is definitely a budget option. Not as fancy as nearby Fiesta Inn, but also better priced. The hotel is clean, beds good, free WiFi works, and the breakfast buffet is not necessarily sumptuous or top notch quality but good enough.
What I missed: an iron or a water heater (for tea or coffee) in the room. Otherwise: the location is good. The "metrobus" stops in front of the hotel and the "Barranca de Muerto" subway station is not too far a walk away (but not right next door either).

Room Tip: Should you book online, be sure to get a confirmation, though. I did not check that and when I arriv...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank WiP
ControlCalidad, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at City Express Plus Insurgentes Sur, responded to this review, 27 February 2013
Dear Guest,
It is our pleasure to host you at City Express Insurgentes. Thank you very much for taking the time to share your comments with us. We are happy to know that the quality of the service met your expectations, that you had a comfortable stay and that the hotel´s location worked great for both your transportation and entertainment needs. We hope to host you again soon either in Mexico City or in any other hotel of the City Express chain around Mexico.