“Best "streety" Mexican food”
Review of La Casa de Tono

La Casa de Tono
Ranked #18 of 4,790 Restaurants in Mexico City
Price range: US$5 - US$10
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Reforma / Zona Rosa
Description: Their food is the best, their service is excellent, and the price is right! Excellent pozole, quesadillas, sopes and flautas.
Reviewed 19 August 2013

Just as the reviews say, La Casa de Tonio has the best pozole in town! Order one of everything on the menu if you're on a USD budget and a michelada but make sure you leave room for dessert!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,074)

Reviewed 18 August 2013

Pozole was amazing, and for a very good price. It was wonderfully tasty without being too spicy (sauces are on the side to add to your heart's content, if you like it hot). Service was good too. Two can eat for about $10-12 USD. Will definitely go again to try the flautas!

Reviewed 26 July 2013

Besides having great food at very low prices, it is a good place to meet locals and know more from Mexican culture. I recommend the Pozole Vegetariano and Sope de Hongos. To drink, Agua de Arroz

Reviewed 17 July 2013

I'm glad I found this place, just down the street from my business meeting. Arriving a little early for the lunch hour we were seated immediately and not a moment too soon. Before we finished our meal, the place was packed. Always a good sign.

The menu is simple and is printed on the table tops. The waiter hands you a ticket and a pen and leaves while you take your time perusing the choices and jotting down your order. When ready, the waiter returns, quickly verifies what you've ordered and is off again.

Our beverages came quickly, as did a variety of salsas accompanied with tostadas. Before we knew it, the waiter reappeared with our food. Since the menu is basically made up of a la carte choices, it took several trips to bring all our dishes. The portions are huge and the food is tasty. Others have called it "Mexican comfort food" and I agree. At our table we enjoyed 3 different pozoles, flautas, quesadillas, tacos, and finished off with two kinds of flan. All our plates left the table empty!

The only negative that I would mention, and it's a minor one, was that the restaurant got so busy that we had a little trouble flagging down our waiter to order dessert and then to ask for the check. But even that was not because of poor service, that young man was almost running from table to table, as were the other myriad of waiters.

All in all, a very positive experience and a super value. Lunch for 4 persons, including all the food, beverages, desserts, and tip was about what I'd pay for 2 people at many restaurants. I'll be back!

Reviewed 30 June 2013

I'll admit it: I eat here a lot whine I'm in DF. It's good, inexpensive Mexican comfort food. It is, however, very close to what one might consider Mexican fast food. With that said, go for the pozole! It is truly delicious and worthy every trip. The bowls come laden with meat and hominy and the broth is seasoned so well, all it requires is a squeeze or fresh lime. Do not, however, get the other items on the menu. The quesadillas are horrendous: more like greasy, deep fried empanadas (but not anywhere as flavorful as an empanada) - I took one bite of mine and my hands were covered in grease and frying oil - disgusting - I will never not get that taste out of my mouth. The sopes, which again is a very loose translation of a sope, are more like plate sized tortillas topped with a filling you choose and then buried beneath a mound of torn iceberg lettuce and onion topped with crema. Actually, not as bad as the quesadilla, but not what you expect of a sope. Service is fast until it's time for the check, then you wait and wait and wait. Let me repeat: go for the pozole - nothing else here will matter.