“Not Up to Par”

Hostal Cuija Coyoacan
Austin, Texas
“Not Up to Par”
Reviewed 2 September 2013

I stayed here my last night in DF for an "authentic" experience after staying 3 nights in the sparkling JW Marriott Polanco. I almost went right back to Polanco after arriving to my room at Hostal Cuija, the difference was so shocking. I almost stayed here for the entire four nights of my trip, and am SO freakin' glad I decided to stay in Polanco instead. Coyoacan was definitely not what I had imagined, and I was ready to go home within less than 24 hours.

My private room resembled a jail cell; had no windows and was literally a box with a twin bed and nightstand. The musty smell was so strong that I didn't take my possessions out of my suitcase for fear the smell would get on them. I had a private bath that I could barely squeeze into for it was so compact, and the water pressure was so low that the water dripped down the back of the shower head rather than through the nozzle.

The construction of the place felt very shoddy and poor quality, like the building could fall apart any second. Getting to my room was quite an endeavor, requiring a climb up stairs that wrapped circuitously around the whole complex sans handrails; quite the personal injury liability risk.

The only reason I give this place 2 dots rather than 1, is the staff, who were very kind and warmhearted. Breakfast was cooked to order eggs with homemade salsa, with yummy yogurt, coffee, and orange juice. Unfort, I got a bad case of the runs afterwards, but it's all good. Also, the free Internet is nice, as they have four computer terminals with unlimited use of Internet 24-7.
My stay cost around $40USD, which was overpriced for this accommodation, which was worth about $15USD.

Summary: I was generally so uncomfortable during my stay that it soured an otherwise amazing trip. Next time I come to DF, I'll stick to Polanco.

Room Tip: Skip the communal rooms and baths if you care about hygiene; I had to use the communal bath to chang...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
5 Thank NikkiATX

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 August 2013

I stayed here for just over two weeks whilst looking for more long term accommodation in Mexico City. When I first got there, they had mixed up my booking (something that seems to be common) and I was put in a 6 bed dorm instead of a 4 bed, I didn't mind this very much, and most nights my dorm wasn't full. The rooms very very small and a little dark but comfortable nonetheless with a locker to store valuables (bring your own lock). I was provided with new towels and bedding twice while I was there which was great!
The staff were very kind and helpful, although if you don't speak Spanish, you may have some difficulties. There was breakfast included every morning which was really nice and the kitchen had plenty of utensils for doing your own cooking. There is wifi and computers for guests to use too.
The hostel is located on a very nice street close to both the metro station and the lovely centre of Coyoacan, and there are a lot of cafes nearby as well as a supermarket. Most people staying here when I was seemed to be exchange students coming to study in Mexico and was a great place to meet people for me.
Oh, and there is a very nice roof terrace where you can sunbathe!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Frankfurt, Germany
Reviewed 9 April 2013

Stayed there for three nights in February 2013. The place is extremely clean, breakfast (included in the price!) is great and the staff is generally friendly and helpful. They have a really nice garden and roof top, where you can relax. Coyoacan is safe to walk around and we enjoyed it a lot. However, the dorm rooms are absolutely tiny, with hardly any space for your luggage. They are located right next to the lounge, which was dominated by the TV (and Mexican soap opera), which the staff, not the guests, used. The staff couldn't really speak English and there was not really a backpacker-athmosphere, which makes it difficult to meet fellow travelers. Nevertheless, the place is OK for a night or two, especially because it is really clean and Coyoacan is an amazing part of Mexico City.

Room Tip: Try not to take the dorm rooms which you can access directly from the lounge.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank HelgaSt
St Neots, England, UK
Reviewed 24 March 2013

This is a lovely hostel altogether. Clean, tidy, friendly, serves a great breakfast and is set on pretty grounds with a garden and roof patio to sit on.

I stayed in a dorm which had a patio door out into the sunny back garden, the staff were super-friendly and helpful. I chanced it, not knowing anything about the place in advance. The taxi driver had to keep asking for directions which suggests it's not the most famous of places. In fact it isn't even branded on the outside.

There is fast, free wifi. Free, cold-filtered water which is safe to drink. A big kitchen if you want to cook for yourself, a fridge if you want to store food. Shared bathrooms with decent showers and all kept sparklingly clean.

You never expect much with budget accommodation, so when you get extra you're always pleasantly surprised. I haven't a bad word to say about this place.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
Augsburg, Germany
Reviewed 22 March 2013

I stayed 4 nights in a double room and enjoyed it. The staff of the hostel are nice and helpfull, the breakfast is good, there is a rooftop terrasse, the area Coyoacan is charming and safe, the bathroom is clean and modern, wifi was fast and there are also computers available. It offers dorms and privates and it was very easy meeting other travellers in the common area or at breakfast. The only little critical point is that the mattress was a bit soft for my personal taste. Nevertheless, highly recommended.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 February 2013

very nice clean hostel, great area - i mean great. if you're not pushed on staying in the hectic centre of d.f then this is the perfect option. breakfast wasn't great but there was something to wake up to which was really nice. high speed internet, terrace, quite nights sleep, clean and friendly environment. not for the budget traveller but neither is coyoacan! staff were friendly but not too knowledgeable with tourist information.

i would stay here again!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
Cordoba, Argentina
Reviewed 9 January 2013

We stayed in the Roma neighborhood but on our way back we had a weekend in DF before flying out. We wanted to check out the Frida Khalo Museum and also to check out the weekend markets in Coyoacan. We also wanted a more relaxed DF experience for our final days. This hostel was perfect!!!!!!! It is located on a beautiful street only a few blocks from Frida Khalo's museum and the central square. The house is relaxing and beautiful. The staff was really fun and friendly and we even had pancakes for breakfast! We had a slight problem with our booking reservation so best to email to confirm, but they were able to accommodate us without a problem. I think their main service is Booking.com for booking.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple