“Fine dining, interesting Mexican cuisine”
Review of Azul Condesa

Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighbourhood: Condesa
Cross street: Michoacan & Laredo
Reviewed 16 July 2014

We tried the local food, and it was all interesting. There was a guest chef, and her food was the best. We had a corn soup which was amazing, guacamole with chapulines (that means grasshoppers), and a strange but interesting main dish with beef in a sauce that had ash in it. Very black and a bit gritty, but worth trying. They allowed us to taste mescals to pick the one we liked best, and they were served traditionally in gourd bowls. We'd like to try some of the other regional specialties.

Reviewed 11 May 2014

Came for dinner and was superb! Modern mexican dishes but kept authentic flavours. Great atmosphere and smoking section upstairs. Highly recommeded!

Reviewed 4 May 2014

It's a nice environment, and fancyish versions of typical Mexican dishes. You can try regional dishes while having a cucumber margarita and telling your companion, "Martha Stewart ate here when she visited."

One negative is that the food is not that interesting if you know Mexican cuisine. A piece of fish with an average sauce, ok. It's not creative or cutting-edge, which you might expect given the atmosphere and reputation. But it's a nice place.

Reviewed 24 April 2014

Great food, lovely atmosphere. But as a solo diner, the evening started off very badly. I had a reservation at 7:30, early by MC standards. Got to almost entirely empty restaurant and as host starts to take me up a dim stairwell I said wait, I want to sit out there (pointing at the beautiful and empty garden). He says no, I ask why, he runs back and gets the reservation book and points to it and I say, yeah, but I have a reservation too. Then he redirects me upstairs so I follow and he points to a table and says "there." No one was sitting in the small, dark space so I felt like he was hiding me. There was a small balcony with a few tables and I said I want to sit out there and again he says no. I asked why. I think by this time he was a bit exasperated and he walked out there, put the menu on a table and walked away. So a very dispiriting beginning to what turned out to be a very good meal with fine service. In general, Mexico City restaurants don't know what to do with solo diners; this wasn't the only bad experience like this I had.

1  Thank ChicagoMan09
Reviewed 21 April 2014 via mobile

We walked passed and liked the look of this restaurant and decided to try it.

That turned out to be a great decision. The waiter was extremely attentive and helpful and we loves the setting. And the mezcal from the little wooden cups is a nice touch. Overall the food was very very tasty... Loved it!