“Favorite Travel "Home"”
Review of The Red Tree House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Mexico City
The Red Tree House
Ranked #1 of 154 Mexico City B&B and Inns
Brooklyn, New York
“Favorite Travel "Home"”
Reviewed 12 January 2014

I have never had such an amazing experience at a hotel. The service is impeccable. The owners and staff are personable, accommodating and pleasant. Included in your stay is a delightful breakfast including a hot dish that varies from day to day. My fav was an omelet with huitlacoche and Oaxacan string cheese. In addition to breakfast, you will be treated to drinks every evening during happy hour. It is during these times that you can chit chat with other guests. The central house has a welcoming, warm and stylish decor of red and orange. And the Red Tree House even has a resident dog, Abril who is sweet and charming. I can't say enough wonderful things about this place and it's staff and owners. I mean what hotel would give you a free bottle of wine to bring to a NYE party because they know all the liquor stores are already closed. This place is awesome. Stay here. Oh and the bed was very, very comfortable. Perfect for a siesta.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (231)
  • Finnish first
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 11 January 2014

We have just got back to Australia (Perth) after a wonderful 4weeks in the USA and a week in Mexico City. I don't know how to describe how good the Red Tree House was. 11 out of 10 is a good start. This is without a doubt the best hotel/B&B we have ever stayed in. The hosts, Ernesto, Victor, Roberto and all the staff were the best hotel management I can remember out of my many holiday experiences. Nothing was too much. Great room (penthouse), great breakfasts, beautiful gardens within the hotel and a great district (Condesa) for restaurants and easy access to transport for touring. Also, get the Red Tree House guys to arrange day tours. They have a preferred tour company that is run by a local couple, Bernado and Carmen. Just the best small tours. To the guys at Red Tree House.........Muchas Gracias. We'll be back......one day. Tony & Rachel Doyle.

Room Tip: We shared the penthouse with another two family members. Great value and very private for two couple...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 11 January 2014

My Wife and I stayed here for 4 nights around New Years Eve and it was an Excellent Place to stay!
Everyone who works there is so helpful. Any advice you need they are there to help you with all the information.
Really safe as well to walk around the area. They give you a book with all the recommendations of where to eat etc.
The breakfasts are amazing and they give you a drink at 6pm to meet the other Guests which was great!
If we are back in Mexico City we will definitely be staying here again!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
San Francisco
Reviewed 8 January 2014

Although my husband and I stayed at The Red Tree House in 2011, I wanted to add our thoughts on the place. We were in Mexico City during September, the week of their Independence Day. TRTH held a special party for guests and friends that included a home made dinner (pozole!) and free flowing beverages. The party was fun. But even better was our overall stay. We stayed in an upstairs garden room. It was immaculate, quiet and quite comfortable. Every morning the breakfast was lovely. We enjoyed speaking with the other guests. Many were repeat visitors who come for business. Ernesto and Jorge were on-site and were the perfect hosts. The location is in a lovely neighborhood. We walked the area at different times of the day and night and never had a bad encounter. We actually went all over the city and to some outlying neighborhoods to enjoy the local celebrations--always had fun. Getting around was easy and for the most part when we could, we walked everywhere. We had a great time in Mexico City and would definitely come back to The Red Tree House.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Lumilt
Rome, Italy
Reviewed 7 January 2014

This was our first visit to Mexico City and we actually made two short visits to this city within a couple of weeks from each other. Both times we stayed in the Condesa area, of which this was the first one. The other stay was at the Villa Condesa Hotel (see separate review), which is a bit more luxury but also more pricey.

The Red Tree House is very well run. The welcome was very friendly and efficient, which was much appreciated as we only arrived at midnight. Service in general was very good, friendly and professional. Rooms as well as all other areas were very clean.

Breakfast is a very social event as guests mingle at large tables in the breakfast area, and so are the complimentary drinks in the early evening. There is also room for privacy though if you don't like being so social. The atmosphere was certainly very warm and inviting. The quality of the breakfast itself was very good with a nice cooked dish (changing everyday) combined with a buffet style breakfast for cold dishes, cereals, fruits, drinks, etc.

The room we stayed in (right above the breakfast area with view on courtyard) was adequate and comfortable albeit not luxurious. The only thing that could be improved was the heating and/or insulation of the room as it did get quite cold at night and in the early morning. Also the breakfast area was quite cold in the morning and could do with some heating. This probably only applies during the winter months though.

We would definitely stay here again when we return to the Condesa area in Mexico City.

Room Tip: If you are visiting in the winter months, ask for a warm room.
1 Thank peri&rini
New York City, New York
Reviewed 7 January 2014

Let me just pile on to the praise and say what a wonderful place the Red Tree House is... I just got back from a stay there and it truly is the best B&B I've ever stayed at. The owners and entire staff are the warmest and most accommodating people imaginable... they are always ready to ensure that all guests have a great time and an amazing trip. The breakfasts are delicious, and the afternoon happy hours are a great opportunity to meet fellow travelers. The room and the common areas are impeccably decorated, and the bed was super comfortable. And there's no better hotel mascot than Abril the dog. I can't imagine staying anywhere else in Mexico City. I don't think Mexico City is on a lot of people's travel radars (especially Americans'), but I can't imagine a better way to experience the sights and sounds of this wonderful city than having the Red Tree House as one's home base. Bravo!

Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 7 January 2014

The Red Tree House is one of those few Bed and Breakfasts that does everything right. If you're headed to Mexico City, it's the place to stay.

As comfortable as it is colorful, the Red Tree House was the perfect base of operations for our family vacation in Mexico City. We were barely through the front gate before staff members whisked our bags to our rooms. Breakfast the next morning started with coffee, fruit, and churros ... and ended with molletes (open-faced sandwiches on toasted bread, topped with beans, cheese, and ham and garnished with fresh peppers and tomatoes).

Breakfasts changed daily; in five days at the house, we never had the same hot breakfast dish twice ... but we did go looking for those delicious churros every morning.

Rooms were large and comfortable, with good (though sometimes sluggish) wi-fi, televisions (we never turned ours on), comfortable beds, safes, and hair dryers -- pretty much everything a traveler needs to feel right at home. Our room was one of the garden rooms (the Ophelia, I believe), accessed by means of an easy flight of stairs.

We did have some noise issues (we could hear every move made in the room above us, and, though a ventilation shaft in back of the room, we could hear conversations in rooms above and below us), but other family members who stayed in the main house didn't have this problem -- something to keep in mind, perhaps, when making a reservation.

The common patio area is lush and tropical, with leafy green plants, flowers, fountains, and colored lights. Interior spaces -- the kitchen, the dining areas, the front parlor -- are all pleasant, well-appointed, and comfortable. We were there during an unusual cold snap; otherwise, this would have been our favorite spot for breakfasts.

The real charm, though, has more to do with the staff: a tireless team of enthusiastic, friendly, well-trained guys. Their warmth isn't an act; they all know they're part of something special, and their pride in The Red Treehouse (and interest in helping you have a great time) really shines through.

At breakfast and during the evening happy hour, Victor, Eduardo, and Alex do a fantastic job of helping guests meet and start chatting with each other. And that spirit is catching; we met and had pleasant chats with more guests at Red Tree House than we've ever met or enjoyed at any other property on the planet.

I had arranged tours and some meals in advance of our trip -- mostly because I'm not used to having the level of support that the staff at the Red Tree House provides. We could have arrived with no plans at all, and they would have taken care of everything for us.

You can depend on the car services and tours the staff recommends; they are the very same highly-rated guides you might have trouble booking elsewhere. In addition, the staff's restaurant recommendations are excellent (and there are several restaurants within easy walking distance of the house, including Rojo Bistro (don't miss the pork belly) and Patagonia (an Argentinian steakhouse).

On a personal note: while in Mexico City, a bit of raw chicken in a taco from a small town carnival gave me serious food poisoning. I cannot say enough about how well the Red Tree House team responded. They helped my husband contact a doctor and arrange a house call (!), which, even without insurance, cost us just $75.00. The doctor prescribed exactly what I needed -- and the Red Tree House team even offered to go fill the prescriptions for us. On the day I chose to stay in my room while the family toured the pyramids, the staff checked on me, made sure I had everything I needed, and kept an eye on me. I felt very well-cared for.

We will be going back to Mexico City -- I am determined to see those pyramids! -- and there's no question in my mind that we'll be staying at the Red Tree House again. If rooms are available, book them; this is one of those rare opportunities to stay in a B&B that, like Eden Park in Auckland, defines what a B&B experience should be.

Room Tip: Try for a room in the main house; while garden rooms are nice, the main house is quieter.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family