“Delicious”

and up
Oaxaca Cooking Class
Ranked #4 of 20 Food & Drink in Oaxaca
More attraction details
Owner description: Cooking classes are held at CASA CRESPO Restaurant. Casa Crespo is a cooking school devoted exclusively to the cuisine of Oaxaca. What better way to learn more about this region´s culture than by savoring Oaxacan cuisine?
Useful Information: Baby buggy parking
Melbourne, Australia
“Delicious”
Reviewed 10 December 2013

Did the cooking class as part of a group within our tour. Oscar sat down with us (group 8) at 9am and asked us what we would like to cook and learn for the day over coffee. We the. Walked to the local village market where we purchased our ingredients and Oscar spent time explaining the different foods, ingredients and preparations found at the market and how we would use the Or in general Mexican cooking. We spent about an hour at the market. We then returned to the restaurant and took turns as a group around the kitchen preparing our dishes with Oscar. Oscar was a great teacher with detailed explanations of all facets of the dishes and ingredients we were cooking with. We spent about two hours cooking. After preparing our dishes we retired to the deck for a beer and mescal shots while waiting for some of our food to cook. After a beer we had our lunch of all the dishes we had prepared, 6 in total plus tortillas. Almost a degustation menu! Cost was approximately 50 use each for a group of 10 for the class and meal, excellent value.

Visited November 2013

New York City, New York
“Most accommodating”
Reviewed 27 November 2013

It turned out that there were only the 3 of us for class on our day; my daughter and myself and a very nice Guatemalan woman who had been living in the US for many years, but I felt Oscar gave us the full on experience. It's like having a cooking class in the home of a very cool friend with great taste in art (hung floor to ceiling), music and design (the work table is an antique door which still has the old hardware and there is a display of chiles on that wall that is gallery-worthy). He started out by giving us an extensive list of our options, and also asked us what we would like to make. My daughter (15) asked to make a dessert cake of tres leches (3 milks), which is a pretty complicated dish to throw into the mix, but he was great about accommodating her choice. He was also very kind about permitting my husband and the other woman's husband to join us for the lunch afterwards even though they weren't interested in the class. We then proceeded to have a terrifically interesting visit to the market, with him explaining traditional uses of herbs and showing us all kinds of ingredients. The dishes we prepared were just at the right level and we all got lots of hands on experience. His staff were highly attentive, very friendly and professional, both during the class and during the service of the lunch afterwards. There was a little bit of time after the food prep while we had to wait for the food to finish cooking, so the staff brought us (which by this point included the two husbands) cold beers while we sat upstairs on the roof terrace with a spectacular view over Santo Domingo. We then proceeded downstairs to have a lovely, private, delicious (if I do say so myself:) lunch at a beautifully set table. (Oscar, where did you get those pottery salsa holders?) I've taken various cooking classes in Oaxaca over the years and I was very happy with this choice. Personally, I go to Oaxaca to be on vacation, not to do competitive cooking, so this was exactly the kind of relaxed, civilized and enriching experience I was looking for. It's also nice in that it's right in town and there's time left in the day to do other things.

Visited January 2013
London, United Kingdom
“Very disappointing”
Reviewed 17 November 2013

Oscar, the owner/chef, came across very uninterested. He shared very little information and didn't ask me any questions and was generally unfriendly. He was also rude and dismissive of his staff in front of me. I was the only student so did get to choose the menu, but it actually turned out to be one of the least tasty meals I ate in my whole time in Oaxaca! I didn't actually cook that might of it - mainly cut a few tomatoes, put a few things in the blender, stirred a few saucepans. The course was actually very short. It started at 11am (although I sat there on my own for 15 mins), then we went to the market where again Oscar seemed very uninterested in my questions. We finished preparing everything by about 1.15pm. Then I ate on my own. Unfortunately when the food was served it was cold, so I had to ask them to heat it up - I heard the microwave beep! I emailed 5 different cooking schools and only 2 responded. I chose this class as it fitted with my timetable. Very disappointing, over priced. And a very dirty kitchen!

Visited November 2013
1 Thank JustineaCarter
Jakarta, Indonesia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 41 helpful votes
“Super disappointing!”
Reviewed 2 September 2013

After reading some good reviews I chose this place for my family over Casa de los Sabores and I'm really disappointed I did. Several things really bothered me.

1. Oscar is really emotionless and straight-faced which really negatively impacts the atmosphere.

2. The kitchen is dirty. I would never accept any restaurant kitchen looking like that, let alone my own kitchen at home, and for someone who invites guests into his kitchen on a daily basis it was a total turn off. It also made us not want to even try the restaurant.

3. He has a helper who flittered between housekeeping and helping out with our food and I didn't see him wash his hands in between. Maybe he did, but that bothered me too.

4. There were worms/bugs in several of the raw ingredients and Oscar was ready to cook them up into our food. When I pointed it out he would reply "That's how you know it's organic. Would you rather eat organic or not?" The point is not that I don't mind the worm in the zucchini flower but cooking it into our food is an entirely different matter. Sorry but if a cockroach was crawling on the food I would NOT want it put into the blender and stirred into my guacamole. (Which consequently made me wonder if he did that with the food for the restaurant!?)

5. He didn't eat the final meal with us, which I found REALLY bizarre. It just seemed like he was totally disinterested in getting to know his guests. We found him afterward in the next room sitting at his computer eating a totally different meal. I get that it might be tedious to eat the same thing everyday, but at least humour your guests and sit with them for a few minutes. Make them feel like you actually enjoyed spending time with them. This is, afterall, the hospitality industry.

6. When we were at the market we wanted to buy chicharron and the price the lady gave was high. I understand Spanish so I heard him commenting to the lady but he made no attempt to bargain on our behalf or help us out in any way.

Let me be straight - this wasn't a totally awful experience. In the end my family had fun because we did it together as a family, and we did learn some new things.
It's just that we were really sooo excited to do this and compared to other cooking classes this fell WAY short of our expectations.

Would we recommend others to Casa Crespo? No. (Sadly)

Visited August 2013
4 Thank ecakes
Luang Prabang, Laos
52 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 176 helpful votes
“Worthwhile and pleasant experience”
Reviewed 12 August 2013

I approached this class with a bit of hesitation, seeing some of the negative reviews. I tried to book somewhere else but it was not available. However, I enjoyed the class and learned a lot. Oscar was informative and pleasant, without being overly self-absorbed and talkative. We were a group of 7 students, and everyone had chance to try their hand in making each dish, and his assistant only really set up ingredients and equipment and cleaned up after us. We first sat as a group and agreed what we wanted to cook, Oscar having given us 4-5 choices for each course. So we made ceviche appetizer, tortilla soup, mole rojo with chicken, interesting tortillas with squash blossoms and cheese in the dough, and several other things. We then sat together around the large table in the very pleasant dining room and ate it all, followed by a sip of mescal. Great day.

Visited July 2013