“Pretty comfortable”

Ranked #16 of 112 Speciality Lodging in Oaxaca
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
“Pretty comfortable”
Reviewed 17 November 2013

This guest house is in a great location, it's in a quiet and safe area, but easily walkable to the zocalo, great restaurants and bars. The staff are all super friendly and helpful, particular Thomas. He even helped me load my Telcel sim since I didn't speak a lot of spanish. The staff will help you book tours as well to all the major sites in the area. The rooms are simple, but what you would expect for the price. We had a room with a private bathroom on the rooftop and our only issues was that we had a slightly older bathroom and sometimes the water stopped working and our toilet broke a few times in the week due to a faulty handle/flusher. The room would get quite hot as well as we got a lot of sun during the day. The staff were super apologetic though and fixed it whenever it was an issue. Breakfasts were included for us and they were simple, but delicious, and included lots of bread, fruit, juice and as much coffee as you need.

Room Tip: Rooms on the rooftop can get a lot of sun and be quite warm.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Stephanie S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Juneau, Alaska
Reviewed 14 October 2013

I had a room on the first floor, overlooking the courtyard with a shared bath. Although I requested a single room, I was given a room with 3 beds for the price of a single room. The room was plenty large, had a ceiling fan, and earplugs kept the late night noise out. The shared bathroom was large but it took a bit to get the hot water to reach it. There were no papertowels or handtowels available for use after just washing your hands though. The location was excellent with a market out the door to the left, and a great restaurant out the door to the right on the next corner. The staff was very accommodating and friendly and provided a good orietation to the city.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
Santa Cruz, California
Reviewed 23 September 2013

This place was recommended by friends in the non-profit world in Oaxaca. Excellent location: close to the zocalo but far enough away for it to be quieter. Norma and her staff are very friendly and helpful. She offers a personal, caring touch. Rooms are small and simple, as you would expect for the price. But they were fine for me and our group. The rooms with the balconies are especially nice. I think it would be hard to find a better deal in downtown Oaxaca for the quality and the price. And Norma makes it feel a bit like a host family experience, which is a real plus.

Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Philip M
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 May 2013

This place has a lovely rooftop balcony and courtyard looking east over the city, and the blackboard welcoming guests by name and country is a nice touch (it certainly helped us to get talking to people at breakfast). A lot of thought has gone into the decor too.

On the downside, we found the rooms very warm even with the fan on full blast all night. The ceilings and doorways were very low and anyone over 5'10" will find their feet hanging over the end of the bed. The breakfasts were also smaller than anywhere else we stayed in Mexico and despite my partner making sure that the booking was for two people, the initial price quoted had been crossed out and increased by MX$100 when we both returned.

Perhaps the worst aspect was the fact that we could not secure the room - the window (room 8, on the top floor) could be opened from outside and it was very easy to lean in and open the door from the inside. We only stayed two nights, arriving late one afternoon and leaving very early in the morning, so perhaps check this with the helpful staff when you ask about a room.

Room Tip: Generally the rooms are quiet but if it rains, the noise on the corrugated aluminium roof on the top...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Donna T
Germany
Reviewed 17 February 2013

We stayed only one night, as my boyfriend (1,90m) was not able to stand upright in the room. Even I kept hitting my head in the bathroom. Plus, you couldn´t really close the window. The bed was very small and squeaky, and it was hard to even turn in the room. The location seemed fine though and the court sure is lovely. Breakfast wasn´t served as it was a Sunday

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Brooklyn, NY
Reviewed 17 January 2013

I stayed at Posada Don Mario as a fallback option, but ended up loving the place and staff. The posada has a small courtyard as its main public space and where the complementary breakfast is served. There are wonderful balconies on the second and third floors. The WiFi worked only on the first and second floors, but the view of the old part of the city from the third floor balcony was amazing. See photo. The rooms were well kept and very clean. Also, the staff were very helpful and arranged a guided trip to Monte Alban and a cooking class in the afternoon. The main downside is that the posada was a little far from the Zocalo, but it was just a 20 minute walk. The best part is that the Mercado Sanchez Pasculas was right around the corner where I are breakfast and grabbed tamals for snacking later in the day.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 25 December 2012

Very cute, lots of character, nice courtyard area, pretty views from the terrace.
Unfortunately, despite emailing back and forth with the owner about questions, when I arrived they didn’t seem to have enough information. They couldn’t find my reservation at first (a panicked moment for me during high season) and then said they couldn’t do laundry (despite the fact that I had emailed with them about it earlier in the week). They sent me to a place that was closed on Sundays, and with the help of the locals, I found another place where I could do it myself.

My boyfriend and I told them we were leaving early and asked where should we leave the key. They told us the room. When we got up early, we discovered NONE of the water was on. So much for a morning shower. The toilets were gross when not flushed). Also, when leaving, they neglected to mention we’d need our key to unlock the gate to leave.

The beginning and the end were not happy elements. I would not stay here again due to those frustrations.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple