“Best pizza I've ever had.”
Review of Vieja Lira

Vieja Lira
Ranked #287 of 511 Restaurants in Oaxaca
Cuisines: Pizza
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 20 September 2013

My girlfriend and I went to Vieja Lira a few weeks ago while in Oaxaca, and I'm still talking about the pizza. It was the thinnest crust I have ever seen, and it was absolutely delicious!!! If you need a break from traditional Mexican food for one night in Oaxaca, this is the place to go. Great atmosphere, wonderful selection of wines, delicious homemade hot sauce (for the bread and the pizza!) and the best pizza I have ever had. Living in Toronto, we have quite an ample array of Italian restaurants to choose from, but Vieja Lira takes the cake (or pie, in this case). I will definitely be returning for more pizza on our next trip to Oaxaca. In the meantime, I've asked my girlfriend to look up thin-crust pizza recipes to try our luck at it at home. I wish her good luck...that's a hard pizza to beat! And the toppings were incredibly fresh and delicious. We got ours with arugula and prosciutto, a great topping combination if you ask me: my girlfriend got her veggies, and I got my meat! A must for Italian food lovers in Oaxaca!!!!

Reviewed 16 September 2013

We were recommended Vieja Lira by our hotel so in the rain of a Friday night having arrived from a flight from Mexico City (DF) we embarked on the search for the restaurant... It is now in fact at Reforma 502, there are two other addresses listed for the restaurant on Google!
The ambience here is very relaxed, friendly and although we went as a couple, it was ideal for families too. Service was attentive and
The food here is absolutely great!
They served us with home-made bread to start with, I particularly liked the salted bread and the grissini.
The pizzas are fresh, crispy and very tasty, we had the prosciutto and champignones and on our second visit the Calzone Farcito.
We also had pasta, cannelloni and fusilli with pesto, the flavours were wonderfully deep, clearly made freshly.
If only there was a place like this in DF...
We will definitely be back here on our next trip to Oaxaca, as you can see our first visit prompted a return two days later!

Reviewed 7 August 2013 via mobile

I was shocked to find a restaurant in Mexico that served fresh linguine as good as any place I've had it in Italy. Fresh and plentiful parmesan & black pepper. Really nice vibe in this restaurant & great value for the quality of the food. If you're looking to give the mole a break for an evening, you should really consider trying this place.

Reviewed 7 August 2013

OK Italian food, a little heavy on the sauce, but plenty to eat. I tried a pizza, but the crust was more like a tortilla than Italian crust I am used to. My friends has pasta dishes which were ok. One must remember that they are in Mexico, not their favorite local Italian place.

Reviewed 24 July 2013

OK, not a bargain for Oaxaca but what good pasta and pizza! Quiet with an open air courtyard, very attentive staff (who, for example, instantly lowered the music volume when requested), and delicious breads served with oil and garlic upon seating made this place a little oasis for me and friends several times during my week stay. The house wines are not so good, so order beer or a bottle of wine. Other than that, it's a go right down to the fancy desserts.