“Nice place”

Ranked #48 of 109 Hotels in Oaxaca
Fredericton, Canada
“Nice place”
Reviewed 13 November 2013

I attended a conference at the Mision de Los Angeles early in November. I had a junior suite that was large clean and the bed was very firm and comfortable. The staff were friendly and helpful and, there were a lot of them. This is a large complex of two-storey buildings that surround a garden/pool area. I saw a number of tour buses and vans in the parking lot. This hotel struck me as more of a vacation / resort type hotel rather than as a boutique-type hotel. I ate breakfasts in the hotel. They were buffet style and were quite good. I note that some have commented that the location is not that convenient to the downtown. I found the 20-minute walk to be very pleasant and the advertised taxi fair is only 35 pesos. One can arrange tours from the hotel. Overall, I would agree with the favorable reviews of this hotel.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
  • Polish first
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed 13 November 2013

Despite some negative reviews of this hotel, I reserved here. My first impression was not that great but I had already been primed by the negative reviews here. One I got it my room, I fell in love with this place! The grounds are beautiful and big! So here is my take on this hotel, Mission de los Angeles.
Room - Clean, spacious and very nice
Restaurant - Breakfast buffet is AMAZING as well as dinner. There is also outside eating area and big dining facility. Attached to the restaurant is the bar which also has tables for gatherings.
WiFi - The internet is sporatic at best but this is attributed to the large grounds area.
Location - Right at the edge of town so to get to the “mercados” you have to walk a few blocks and cross one major street.
Parking - Lots of parking and if you have a big truck or trailer, you can park on the lower level of the hotel in a spacious lot but that puts you street side and away from any view of the hotel.
Limited on words – People polite, nice and safe. Will stay again!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Punta del Este, Uruguay
Reviewed 23 October 2013

Beautiful place big rooms viewing gardens and aged trees, we had breakfast on the garden every morning, very enjoyable.

The hotel is ten minutes away from the town, you can hear the birds .

Montealban ruins are twenty minutes away by car , also the museum is a must go.

Ivonne Hodara

Room Tip: First floor junior suites are wonderful.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 4 September 2013

Hotel Mision de los Angeles warning!
Hotel Mision de los Angeles: unsafe place to stay, horrible faces looking at you if you ask for anything.
General Manager is a person who yells to intimidate customers +
Proof Of the vandalism? Yes

Hotel Mision de los Angeles advertise with misleading information... Wifi is useless, pool and bar close an hour earlier than advertised (They do not mention vandalism on grounds) Do not buy problems.. There are many places to stay in Oaxaca, do not put your property and your life at risk. If vandals took their time to key a truck and nobody in the hotel cared about it, I wonder what they would do to a person? Scary!!!

Located in Czda. Porfirio Diaz #102-D, Colonia Reforma. An unsafe place to stay, we stayed there for nine nights. On July 22, 2013 we left our truck parked inside the grounds, near to our room, in a perfectly marked space for cars close to the pool . We went to the festival "Lunes del Cerro", we left around 3 pm and returned around 8 pm (approx. 5 hours). They knew we were gone since we bought the tickets for the festival in the reception and later we asked for a taxi reservation. When we came back we noticed that vandals keyed our truck really bad, we told to an employee who was walking to the laundry room, who gave us a bad look and told us to make the report in the reception. We talked to Hary, the receptionist in duties, and asked her " Could you please send an employee to verify that we are parked in the correct spot, and to see how bad the vandals damaged our car on purpose and with no reason?" We made this request because it was clear enough that the vandals took their time to commit their crime, during day light and was several employees around, ( I noticed they have several employees around all day long since we arrived there on July 15) we were in/out at different times. She refused to help us, stating "there are no employees available to check that, and it is a public parking, so there is nothing we can do about it". We asked to talk with the manager, but she said that he would be there next day from 9 am to 7 pm. Because I insisted she said "I'll let the manager know, and he will contact you", but this never happened. In order to get to this parking lot you have to drive first in front of the reception and then between the reception building and the computer room, and then you go all the way by the pool; all in hotel property. Next day I tried again to talk with the general manager (Sr, Oscar Holm) since the reception manager (Sr. Mario) had not the power to make a written report of what happen; but just like the employee before (Hary), the answer was the same, no care about the problem and no way to talk to the general manager. Employees are well trained to avoid communication with the general manager, they even refused to give manager's office phone number. Wednesday at 9:48 a.m. for the third time I went to reception, and when the reception manager (Mario) saw me, he immediately told one of the counter employees who was standing beside him. "Here she is again", and the employee gave me a bad look like I stole something, I did not care and approached (Mario) the reception manager, and asked him to talk with the General Manager, and again, the General Manager wasn't there?! I told Sr. Mario that I would come every ten minutes until I could talk to the the General Manager, to get a written report of what happen to our truck.
Yes, I decided to obtain a written report, since on Friday 19, when the truck was parked for about two hours, when my sister backed up the tire flatted and we did not say anything because we thought it was an accident, but after what happen on Monday, and after the answer we got from the hotel staff, I seriously think vandals are welcome in this hotel. I finally could talk to the General Manager on Wednesday before 11 in the morning, He was in front of the computer room door, and guess what? before I finished talking this "person" started yelling trying to intimidate me, and saying that I was accusing him, so I had to say clear enough that I NEVER accused him of anything, he is a rude, no manners person with no idea of the meaning CUSTOMER, who enjoys changing the words, to pretend he is being attacked; he made fun of me when I told him I took some pictures on Monday for whom it may concern to verify I was parked correctly and to show the damage on our truck. With a sarcastic smiling face he asked me: "So, do you take pictures every time and everywhere you park?" He couldn't understand I took pictures because we were victims of vandalism and they were acting like -who cares about the customer? we just care about money- (I felt sad for him), but long story short (There is a lot more to say), he finally ordered his subordinate to give me a written report that our truck was parked and keyed on the hotel parking lot, and of course they stated they are not responsible for the damage.
They ruined our vacations :(
I have more pictures that shows the full damage...
You are welcome to email me if you want a more detailed information of what happened.
But if you just want to bother me because you don't want tourist to know the truth, then do not waste your time, because I won't reply.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family

Travellers are raving about these Oaxaca hotels

San Francisco, California
Reviewed 17 July 2013

We stayed at la mision de Los Angeles for five days while on vacation in Oaxaca. It is a beautiful hotel right near the top of the main street for walking in Oaxaca. As soon as we walked two blocks we were in the best part of town for seeing all the vitality and richness of Oaxaca. Excellent location.

The hotel itself is quite beautiful with well maintained lawns and a wonderful pool. The staff is friendly and helpful. The restaurant was excellent. Breakfast was a feast and the service was first class. Our room and bath was well cleaned and in excellent condition.

We were surprised at the most reasonable price we paid. We have never had such an excellent hotel at such a good price.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank RangerJack
Mexico
Reviewed 30 April 2013

I stayed in this hotel for business and it met my expectations. However, there is a long (30 min) walk to the center of Oaxaca, which can be nice if you like to walk as it is safe but when the weather is hot it can be not as enjoyable. The best part is breakfast as there is a great selection of local food. The rooms are clean and staff nice, its a little bit old and the internet is really really slow.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
Chapala, Mexico
Reviewed 17 November 2012

The hotel is very nice and clean. If you want to book a tour you may do so right in the hotel lobby, which i found very convenient. I booked a tour for three which was done very well. The food in the restaurant was very good along with the service.

The drain in my bathroom did omit a foul smell. I finally just put a towel over the drain to cover the smell. Also there was a loud band playing Saturday night, but that was the only night.

This is Not the location or place to stay if you want to experience the city. I was there to see the Day of the Dead ceremonies and the Zocolo. You can reach down town by cab for 35 pasos.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends