“Comfortable hotel”

Ranked #35 of 113 Hotels in Oaxaca
Decorah, Iowa
“Comfortable hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 November 2013

We enjoyed our stay at Hotel Aitana for Day of the Dead. The room was clean and comfortable and not noisy. The room was a bit stuffy and there was no air-conditioning but we were not affected much since we were not in Oaxaca during the hot season. I'm not sure if fans were available but that would be nice. We appreciated the two computers available for our use since we had forgotten ours. There was no problem connecting to the internet. The breakfast was basic and adequate and food was available at other times if desired. The staff was very helpful in suggesting tours and going directions to museums, etc.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Edie108

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Riverside, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2013

The hotel is conveniently located and has loads of charm. The inner courtyard and second floor roof garden are absolutely lovely. The rooms are simply furnished and spacious with ceiling fans and windows that open onto the courtyard. During our stay, the hotel was quiet. The breakfasts were good with multiple choices and the staff was friendly. They took good care of us. There were two computers we could use to check our email. I would not hesitate to recommend this to my friends.

Room Tip: If you are not happy with your room, they will try to help you find one you like better. We were in...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Glassartgirl
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2013

So, let's start this review with one major inconvinience I run into courtesy of Bank of America and how Mario, the concierge saved the day. For some weird reason I was unable to get money out of the ATM on my departure day and I had zero cash to pay the taxi driver on my way to the airport. After trying every single ATM downtown at 5 am and running late to be in the airport, Mario the concierge saved the day. He charge my debit card (I don't know why it worked there but not at the ATM's) and gave me the cash to pay the taxi driver. For this I'm forever thankful, because I would lost my plane if it wasn't for his quick thinking. Besides that, he's an amazing concierge. Every other night he recommended good places to eat like the locals (ask him to point you to a "memelas" stand), things to do, where to shop to avoid overpaying for hand crafts and was a graceful host. The hotel is close to downtown, the price is all right, the breakfast is more than I expected and overall the people is friendly and accommodating. Yes the hotel is not a 5 star hotel, but you're not paying for an 5 starts so stop complaining. Best bang for your buck and excellent to adventure to the city by yourself.
Make sure you check out the terrace, you get an amazing view of the city. Nice to read a book, have a beer and just spend some chill time. Rooms by the courtyard can be a little noisy, but I wake up early anyways so I didn't bother (I didn't came to Oaxaca to oversleep! :D
If that's a problem, just ask for a room away from the courtyard. Santo Domingo is a must, as well as Monte Alban, Mitla and el Zocalo. Make sure you enjoy true mexican ice cream at "La Michoacana" and other delicious snacks sold around churches. And don't forget to try the crickets!!

Like I said this is not a luxury hotel but is clean, close to downtown and has some of the best service I ever had for the price. If you're picky don't be cheap, pay $180 a night and stay at other hotel. This was my 5 trip to Oaxaca and not my last, I love this place! Mario, if you read this, thank you!

Room Tip: If you have a light sleep get a room away from the courtyard.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Klaudya39
Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2013

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Hotel Aitana. It's a bit out of the way, the was staff friendly, breakfast was good, and the price was right. Mario made us feel very welcome and helped us in many ways...including helping us to get a tour in English of the ethnobotanic gardens. I'm reading all of the other comments regarding the shower, I didn't think it was a big deal, but I guess if you really want to be pampered, or are looking for luxury, look elsewhere. If you want something that feels authentic, Aitana may be for you.

Room Tip: Ask to see the room first, if you'd like. We were on the second floor near the patio, noise was...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
Mexico City, Mexico
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2013

This charming, cheap hotel is about 5, easily walkable, blocks from the center. It offers nice rooms with ceiling fan, which open to an inner courtyard. Unfortunately the hotel is on a narrow thoroughfare and although we didn't hear the quite heavy traffic in our room it takes a bit away from the charm. Also, the hotel has no parking but points you to a very expensive parking opposite (friendly and safe, though). All told, the hotel is not bad but we would try somewhere else next time.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for a week.
Rooms were nice. However they all ae built around a centre courtyard (like many in Mexico) and the noise does echo a wee bit when people are talking, or walking around the common areas with a crying baby :)
Has a nice rooftop area with views towards the Zocalo.
Cleaning....a bit of hit and miss here. We stayed in room 212 and discovered the cleaners cupboard was across from us, so when they forgot to give us towels, toilet paper or soap etc, we just helped ourselves.
Breakfast...also a hit and miss. Was really nice, but sometimes there was toast, sometimes there was cereal, depends when you go down there I think.

Approx 10 mins walk from Zocalo so handy.

We paid $50 US a night so good value.

Good wifi and have a computer in the lobby for use if needed.

Agree with the previous comments....water from shower goes EVERYWHERE except where you need it. But still managed to wash my hair :)

• Stayed February 2013
2 Thank Toni G
Melbourne,
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2013

The hotel is OK but, apart from the women who served the food, the staff need an injection of enthusiasm as we never really felt welcome during our stay of 5 nights. In addition the bathroom could have done with a good scrub. I would go elsewhere next time.

• Stayed February 2013