“Good location, Basic Hotel”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Oaxaca
Meson Del Rey Hotel S.a. De C.v.
Ranked #88 of 109 Hotels in Oaxaca
Perth, Australia
“Good location, Basic Hotel”
Reviewed 12 January 2009

Two blocks from the main square, a quick easy walk to a great choice of resturants and fast foods. The Hotel is best described as basic but clean and well located. Complimentary bottled water was available on each floor. They did have smoking rooms available., and had safety deposit at front desk. The entrance to the room was two double glass doors, and the only window was above the doors which needed to be kept open for ventilation. This meant every word spoken in the room could be heard in the hall, and vise versa. The room itself was on the small side, well worn carpets, tiles etc, but it was clean with no bugs. It also had a pedestal fan.

• Liked — Easy walk to main square and many eating choices nearby.
  • Disliked — Insufficient privacy in the room.
  • Stayed December 2008

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Hackensack, New Jersey
Reviewed 24 August 2008

Nothing special, very little to complain about. My friend & I rented a double room for 3 nights. The place was clean. With the windows closed it was relatively quiet. The city had annoyingly loud fireworks throughout the day including early morning and late night. This was not the hotel's fault. My only peeve was that the wireless internet, which only worked in the lobby, was turned off unless you requested that it be turned on. I could not understand why they kept turning it off - it was security enabled. We paid $50 per night, which seemed $10 higher than comparable hotels in the area, but it was not worth moving for.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Too basic
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Swindon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 December 2007

I guess we were a little disappointed with this hotel, the main problem was that our room was next to a cleaners cupboard, with a large window right next to it. This kind-of removed a little privacy, as the curtains did not cover the window completely and you could hear very clearly what was going on outside in the hotel.

That's probably not a very balanced statement, because all the other rooms may have been fine. Certainly the bathroom was ok, reception friendly and the hotel was very convenient for the center of town. We were told by our guide that the restaurant wasn't up to much, but I can't comment from experience. Either way, the excellent 'Cafe Alex' is just up the road.

The bed was very hard, and there was no lift (if these things are important to you!)

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Thin walls
  • Stayed November 2007
Reviewed 29 September 2003

I stayed in Oaxaca at Meson del rey (july 03) We like very mcuh because the service that the staff have is good, also the rooms are very clean.
The manager in charge is very helpfull. If I visit again Oaxaca I will stay at the Meson del rey.

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 6 August 2003

My friend and I have been going to Oaxaca for many years. We started in some upscale hotel overlooking the city which had wonderful points and views but not quite the feel of the town. We scouted the city and checked almost each and every hotel from 1 star to 4 stars, staying single nights in many. We fell in love with the Meson Del Rey and have been going back there ever since. Their hospitality is excellent and being there with Theresa and her family make you feel as if you are extended family. They have always seen to our needs and gone out of their way to take care of us. Yes, the rooms are not like those in a 4 star hotel, but remember, you are in a quaint virtually third world country and if it is a resort you are looking for or if you want to be pampered by the pool with cocktails and cabana boys then you are on the wrong vacation.

5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Wisconsin
Reviewed 23 April 2003

Basing my decision upon the other Tripadvisor review, I reserved a room at the Meson. Arriving at the hotel, I was met with an utterly unwelcoming desk attendant. Upon entering my room, I discovered that my request for a quiet room away from the street had, contrary to a promise made when I reserved my tickets, not been fulfilled, and that I had no option but to take the very loud street-side room. Finally, the room's dirty and obsolete bathroom facilities and grimy carpeting were unconscionable in a hotel charging $60 U.S. per night. I do not recommend this hotel, a disgrace in the otherwise beautiful city of Oaxaca.

5 Thank worldmatthew

Travellers are raving about these Oaxaca hotels

Reviewed 27 November 2001

Jack and I and several of our invited friends from Canada have stayed at the Meson del Rey for the past nine years at Christmas time. We keep going back to the Meson del Rey for several reasons. We like the Mexican family who own the Hotel. Teresa, who manages the Hotel is always helpful going out of her way to help us when we inquire about things.
The Hotel is in a strategic location for the guest who wants to be in the center of all the festivities. It is within walking distance of markets, bus stations and restaurants. The Restaurant serves local dishes that are tasty and reasonably priced. Pat Rafferty

6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member