“Regular”

Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast
Reviewed 27 April 2014 via mobile

Buena ubicación. Servicio tardado, tienes que recordar al mesero tu orden para agilizar te sea llevada a la mesa / nice place but bad service, you have to wait too much until you have your food and sometimes you need to ask two or three times to waiter for your order.

Reviewed 13 March 2014

I wanted a mid level restaurant on the local to enjoy a mid day meal and people watch. I typically choose my restaurant by the number of locals vs tourists. In this case, 100% locals and 0% tourists. We enjoyed watching this old timers gather for the daily chisme and mid day relaxation.
I have to admit, the food was OK but not great. I was really after the atmosphere, and Terranova delivered.
If you want more privacy, and protection from the sidewalk vendors, ask for the upstairs dining area.

Reviewed 10 March 2014

We had a dinner and lunch here, and the location is great for simply dining alfresco looking out over the busy square. Food was good - wife had chicken cordon blue cooked really well - cost £6. I had the filete mignon, which was a different cut to which I expected, but nevertheless it was fine. Cost £7.50. Nice Chilean Chardonnay at £12.50 a bottle. Friendly staff.

Reviewed 9 January 2014

We had dinner at the Terra Nova restaurant in the zocalo and I must say everything we had was delicious!! Six of us had dinner there and all I heard was how good the food was. The place was actually recommended to us by a local and boy was he right. From the tamales to the chilaquiles we had, everything was excellent. My brother even said it was the best chilaquiles he had had and we are Mexican, so we know what good chilaquiles taste like. If you want to eat in the zocalo, this is the place to go.

Reviewed 10 February 2013

The Terranova is something of an institution in Oaxaca. When I lived here in the 90s, it was a favorite choice on the Zocalo for breakfast, lunch, drinks, coffee -- whichever excuse we used for getting together with friends and coworkers. As I return here after 13 years, I find that it is still on the short list of "Where shall we meet?"

The menu is pretty standard fare, and prices are average for a tourist-friendly restaurant in downtown Oaxaca. The food is well-prepared and dependable.

As others have noted, if you sit at one of the many sidewalk tables, you have a great view of the Zocalo and the parade of pedestrians, but you will also deal with a steady stream of vendors, shoeshine boys and musicians. Tables inside are quieter but lack atmosphere.

1  Thank TotheEndsoftheEarth