“Murex, Silk + Threaded Flowers Adventure”

Traditions Mexico Cultural Journeys
Book In Advance
More Info
US$95.00*
and up
Full Day Tortilla Food of the Soul Tour
Ranked #7 of 47 Tours in Oaxaca
More attraction details
Owner description: Cultural day tours and extended tours in an undiscovered Mexico. Since 1996 pioneering small group journeys into the world of indigenous traditions, folk art, food and festivals of Southern Mexico. Our expertly guided, off-the-beaten track journeys take travelers into Zapotec, Mayan and Mixtec villages, home workshops, festivals, smokey kitchens filled with good food and into an authentic world seldom visited by outsiders.
Reviewed 8 May 2014

As a Traditions Mexico first-timer, I was thoroughly impressed with the thoughtfulness and care that went into creating such a unique and compelling itinerary. The Murex, Silk and Threaded Flowers trip was very well organized, yet left enough flexibility to allow for memorable unplanned experiences, like sharing dinner with a local family in their historic colonial home, to being invited to watch a special community celebration honoring their women for International Women's Day. We climbed rocks to follow a 73-year-old murex dyer as he demonstrated the process of dying a skein of cotton from sea snails. And, we met masters of backstrap weaving in cotton and silk, a family of hand embroiderers of colorful floral huipiles, a rug weaver working with all natural dyes, all of who so graciously invited us into their homes and explained the intricate process of their craft. It would have been impossible to meet these amazing people on my own, without the strong relationship and trust that Eric and his team have cultivated. All of our accommodations were clean and safe in each town that we visited and our van was well stocked with water and local snacks to keep us energized on the road. Our two guides, Eric and Carlos, both have an immense knowledge of Oaxaca, its history, people and traditions, and filled the trip with interesting local stories that can only be known by those who have lived in the area for many years. As a female traveling alone, I wanted to experience the cultural richness of Oaxaca in an up-close, personal and safe way, and Eric’s tour provided exactly that, and so much more. I would highly recommend Traditions Mexico and look forward to more adventures together.

5  Thank bha8791

Reviewed 5 April 2014

Traditions Mexico Hands-on-Tours is hands down the best tour company. I just completed my second tour and plan to sign up for more. On "Cultura Maya" we observed several centuries old Mayan celebrations for lent, shopped at village markets intended for villagers, climbed Mayan ruins, learned about the ancient Mayan symbols that are still being used in textiles today. Our tour guide Eric was organized yet flexible. While Eric has a wealth of knowledge, he hired Mayan expert Chip Morris for the Chiapas portion of the tour adding great depth. Thank you Eric and Chip for an unforgettable trip.

1  Thank MKPT2014
Reviewed 5 April 2014

I had never been to Mexico, and expected more (unexpressed?) hostility/danger, less comfortable accommodations, and more difficulty with language, transportation and eating. I was VERY pleasantly surprised by what I experienced, undoubtedly due to Eric Mindling's comfort with the language and customs of Mexico, and his extensive exploration and planning for the trip. The addition of Chip Morris in the Chiapas highlands was inspired – it was amazing to see the reaction of the locals to this friendly “Earth Lord” that lived with them, and he gave us a unique insight into their language, culture and customs. I had absolutely no interest in textiles - until I started listening to Chip explain about Mayan techniques and design, and how they changed over time and distance.

This is not a tour for people who don't want to/can't get off the bus and explore. Getting "up close and personal" with the Chiapan highland Maya is one of the best parts of the tour. I also enjoyed being able to scramble up the 7 levels of the Toniná temple to peek into the structures and lives of the ancient Maya.

All in all, a fabulous time! I am back home reading up on the Maya, their history, mythology, and culture - something I never would have done without "Cultura Maya".

4  Thank Bill B
Reviewed 5 April 2014

Our trip with Traditions Mexico was outstanding! We began in Villahermosa and ended in San Cristobal. We learned so much about the Mayan culture and were able to experience it through the ruins and the villages. The Lenten celebrations were a high point, and I know we wouldn't have been as welcome at them if we hadn't been with Traditions Mexico. Eric and Chip were amazing guides, the pace was great, and we had a nice mix of villages and more urban areas. We are looking forward to our next trip with Eric and his team.

Reviewed 2 March 2014

As I end my 3-month stay in Oaxaca I have to rank this trip as one of the highlights of my time
in Mexico. Every aspect of the day-to-day organization was smooth, but that is to be expected.
The magic of the tour is the opportunity to visit remarkable craftspeople scattered throughout the mountains in the vibrant state of Oaxaca. The quality of the work these women produce is incredible and to observe them work today as their ancestors did thousands of years ago is awe inspiring. As one women said "if i can weave the length of my thumb in a day that is a good day". Wealth can be measured in many ways, but a rich cultural tradition should be at the top of the list. Thank you to Eric and his team for creating this beautiful journey.

1  Thank Sharon m