“Excellent food in a very cozy setting”
Review of La Teca Restaurant

La Teca Restaurant
Ranked #33 of 520 Restaurants in Oaxaca
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Traditional food from the Isthmus of Tehuantepec, all made when you order, all delicious. A garden area available when it's not too chilly or rainy. Wonderful art, and great service.
Reviewed 27 March 2014

Disclaimer: I was invited to La Teca by a friend of the owner so I can't say our experience was "typical" but I truly don't think they went and cooked anything just for us. Some of the food we had takes hours to cook so I am quite sure we were served the same food anyone else would have been. Also, I read a few of the comments on here. Yes this IS a house reborn as a restaurant but I see that as part of the charm of the place not a detractor. There are two separate dining areas. What would be typically called the "restaurant" is small with maybe three or four tables. This area used to be the driveway/garage and it has been completely converted into a cozy dining spot. Adjoining this is a larger patio available only by reservation for slightly larger groups. This is where we ate.

Also, while La Teca is in the Capital City of Oaxaca, their food style is from the Isthmus area so it is slightly different but every bit as tasty.

There were six of us and we went the "sampler" route. Rather than each ordering a main entrée we opted for sharing all the dishes by taking small portions of each. We got to try "garnachas" (very much like miniature sopes), sweet and savory tamales, "estofado" (very slowly braised, fork-tender beef), short ribs, and several other delicious dishes. All the food was good to excellent. The service was very good with the wait staff removing our individual plates at any time we were about to switch from one dish that would clash with another.

Because we were with friends of the owner I can neither discount nor confirm the critical comments from a few dissatisfied people on here about the bill or such but I can say that the food is excellent and very much worth trying. Yes, it is out of the main downtown area so take a cab (about $10 split however many ways are in your party) and enjoy the fact this used to be a house and it is now a charming food establishment. If you are worried about being overcharged or misinterpreted then by all means discuss this beforehand with the service staff, but, isn't that true for most places in Mexico?

1  Thank TLCNate

Reviewed 20 February 2014

Superb and very different istmo cuisine. Try the sampling menu relaxing pleasant patio good service . A must if you like Oaxaca food.

Reviewed 18 February 2014 via mobile

We just had this tasting menu, and it was wonderful. I wish we had gone on our first day to familiarize ourselves with a variety of foods. I saw some bad reviews from last year, but they must have been taken into account by the restaurant because I had a very different experience. The courtyard is beautiful and small, and the waiter was really nice and attentive.

Reviewed 12 February 2014

We took a cab to this lovely spot. Luckily I had read the reviews and knew that there was more to the restaurant than the small room with tables when we arrived. We had made reservations and were ushered into their lovely backyard. We chose to have the Mexican sampler menu and were absolutely delighted with the meal. Each course was a delight and it was the best meal we had during our four days in Oaxaca.

Reviewed 21 January 2014

We've been here for almost 3 months now and this is by far the most authentic and delicious meal we've had in Oaxaca! We tried the tasting menu as everyone suggested and were extremely satisfied! We also sat in the beautiful garden in the back of the house which had a relaxing and romantic ambiance to it. The service was impeccable as the waiter was very friendly and knowledgable about the food and the timing was also perfect. We started the night off with some house Mezcal Reposado which was delicious and smooth. The tasting menu consisted of garnachas, taco de chile relleno, fried plantain with fresh cheese, tamales de carne, tamales de elote, slow cooked brisket and pork with 2 different delicious moles (mole coloradito and mole negro). Each item was very flavourful and very well prepared. The owner and the chef of the restaurant, Teca also came out after our meal to see how we liked it. She was extremely friendly and hospitable. Overall, an amazing dining experience!