“Don't stay anywhere else in Oaxaca”
Review of Al Sol Studios

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Oaxaca
Al Sol Studios
Ranked #29 of 115 Speciality Lodging in Oaxaca
Brisbane, Australia
“Don't stay anywhere else in Oaxaca”
Reviewed 23 September 2011

What a wonderful experience I had staying at Al Sol. I rented an apartment there for two months while studying Spanish in Oaxaca and was very happy with it!! I met the most wonderful people there too, many of whom I can now call friends.

The apartments are all studios with en suite bathrooms and kitchenettes. They are all unique and beautiful with high quality furnishings in the modern Mexican style. Each has a different floor plan, so take a look and find the one that's perfect for you. There is a wonderful rooftop terrace where you can enjoy the sunset views over Oaxaca, have a party, dine al fresco or swing in the hammock. There is weekly maid service and Luisa keeps all the apartments absolutely spotless.

The apartment complex is on the south east side of the centre in a quiet neighbourhood with a market, supermarket, corner store and tortelleria close by. The Zocolo is only 15mins walk and there are plenty of restaurants nearby as well.

But I can't discuss Al Sol properly without mentioning the landlady, Veronica. Nothing is too much trouble for Veronica; she goes out of her way to make her guests feel comfortable and at home. I needed a mosquito net, the next day I had one. Another guest injured her ankle, Veronica did her shopping. For 3 months. She is always happy, friendly and smiling and speaks excellent English if your grasp of Spanish isn't so good and is very patient with you when you do want to speak with her in Spanish.

Oaxaqueños say that if you eat chapulines (fried grasshoppers) you will return to Oaxaca. Well I ate them (at one of many fiestas at Al Sol), so I guess I'm going back. And the first person I'm going to call is Veronica!

• Stayed June 2011
5 Thank lilblackduck

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Oaxaca
Reviewed 24 August 2011

I arrived in Oaxaca and the place I was planning to stay fell through. I found Al Sol studios in an ad on craigslist and was able to make an appointment to view the apartments the very next day. The owners and staff are incredibly friendly and helpful and available for assistance nearly everyday of the week.

Since each room has its own kitchen area and living room area, you really feel like you are at home rather than traveling. I planned on staying in Oaxaca for about 7 weeks and wanted the ability to cook my own food and save some money. Each apartment has cookware, dishes, and utensils and the local market as well as the grocery store are both with walking distance. It's location Southeast of the Zocalo, provides access to museums and restaurants in the Centro Historico, but it is also just far enough away to be in a quieter, residential area.

My favorite part is the beautiful terrace on the 3rd floor! It is spacious with sunny areas, as well as a roof-covered part for when you want to escape the hot sun or rain. The time I spent reading in the hammock on the terrace was just the relaxation I needed during my stay here. You can also access the relatively fast internet service that is included in the rent from the terrace, which makes doing work a lot more enjoyable!

I highly recommend Al Sol if you plan on staying for a week or more in the Oaxaca area, but be warned that you may not want to ever leave!

Room Tip: There are only 12 rooms, so contact Al Sol ahead of time to make a reservation!