“You Can't Please Everyone”
Review of Origen

Origen
Ranked #9 of 492 Restaurants in Oaxaca
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Eugene, Oregon
“You Can't Please Everyone”
Reviewed 7 November 2013

Drawn by the praise of TripAdvisor reviews, I gave Origen a second chance after an uninspiring meal a few months ago. I found the grilled romaine salad heavily overdressed and soggy, the tostada dry and dull. The restaurant is charming, the kitchen energetic and innovative. I wish I found the food as appealing.

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank SpiritedWalker

Richmond, VA
“A lovely spot”
Reviewed 29 October 2013

We arranged a business dinner for 14 here and Oscar and his team could not have been more helpful or accommodating. The food was excellent (4 courses) as was the house mezcal. The service was delightful and the setting is very cozy though quietly elegant. We were in Oaxaca for four nights, and this was without a doubt tops on the dinner list.

• Visited October 2013
Oakland
“Consistently Amazing”
Reviewed 19 September 2013

Preparing for a trip to Oaxaca in October, 2012, I read about this restaurant right here on Trip Advisor. Intrigued by the reviews, I noted it my travel log as a place to try, and went there my third morning in Oaxaca for a late breakfast. I went again the same day for dinner. All in all, I dined at Origen Oaxaca 5 times in 10 days! Every meal was an exquisite culinary experience, uniquely and authentically Oaxacan, but with a refined flair that transcends mere regional cuisine. One might call it "fusion", but rooted very deeply Oaxaca's pre-Columbian heritage.
I believe I tried nearly every item on the menu in that 10 days, and cannot think of one that disappointed.
The restaurant is small, in an un-touristy side street just a block off Oaxaca's main plaza. The small courtyard seating area is tastefully and simply decorated, and tranquil. Oh- and let's not forget the Mezcal! O.O. has a smashing selection from all over the state, and the waitstaff can intelligently and lovingly guide you through it's many variations.
Have I said enough? In my opinion, no visit to Oaxaca is complete without a meal at this fantastic restaurant. I am planning another trip to Oaxaca this year, simply to eat at Origen Oaxaca again!

• Visited October 2012
3 Thank Bill H
Melbourne, Australia
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Amazing cooking class”
Reviewed 7 September 2013

I had the opportunity to have a cooking class with Rodolfo Castellanos, chef at Origen, in Oaxaca, Mexico. It was an amazing experience to visit the markets with him; viewing all the fresh vegetables and trying the street food. We then cooked up 6 courses using those ingredients and had an amazing lunch. Rodolfo was amazingly patient and calm while we prepared the food.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank Parawan
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Yummy”
Reviewed 19 August 2013 via mobile

This was our best eating experience in oaxaca. Our waiter (pedro) was extremely attentive and recommended the house red which was Devine. I was having trouble deciding between pork or chicken and Pedro helped by explaining each dish best he could in English. He said the pork sauce had ants in it, i thought must be lost in translation so He brought out a sample of what was in the pork dish sauce ... Yep ants more like bugs (apparently a delicacy) we had a sample and a laugh but needless to say I had the chicken - good choice. My husband had the ribeye and although it was a little fatty it was tasty. We shared desert chocolate fondant... yummy. This was a great food experience even if it is pricey.

• Visited August 2013