“Mike in Chicago--recollections of a comfortable and friendly citadel”

Hotel Las Mariposas
Ranked #13 of 109 Hotels in Oaxaca
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 2 November 2013

Las Mariposas was my home for five nights in late October 2013, and I highly recommend it as a clean, comfortable, soothing, secure, and very friendly hotel. It is close and a pleasant walk to most everything you would want to see in Oaxaca City. I loved the terraced and labyrinth-like feel of the open air interior, where a guest would happen upon shelves full of books, multiple patios for sitting to read or visit, a bubbler with agua pura, and kitchen facilities-- all within easy reach of their clean, comfortable room. The common breakfast area was relaxing and offered a nice opportunity to meet and share notes with other guests. Oaxaca is a very safe city, but Las Mariposas in nonetheless a welcoming fortress—the iron gate at the front ensures that no one enters the citadel without the knowledge of hotel staff. I extend my special thanks to the gracious Teresa, who was so helpful when I lost my ATM card, and to Cristel, the young reina of the hotel, who was so sweet and friendly and tolerant of my weak Spanish in a number of conversations.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Michael H
Mariposas1, Gerente at Hotel Las Mariposas, responded to this reviewResponded 4 November 2013

we aprreciate your comments!, thanks for let us know how you enjoyed your visit to our hotel.
hope to work with you in your next visit to Oaxaca.

Reviewed 28 October 2013

I've been to Oaxaca maybe 40 times over the last ten years. I usually stay in an apartment, but I also stay in hotels from time to time on shorter visits. Las Mariposas has clean cozy rooms, nice garden areas with interesting accent pieces, a public refrigerator, a welcoming feel, and very reasonable prices. My favorite choice in Oaxaca.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Mariposas1, Gerente at Hotel Las Mariposas, responded to this reviewResponded 29 October 2013

Thanks for your opinion, we really appreciate to take your time to make a comment .
hope to work with you in your next visit to Oaxaca.

Reviewed 22 October 2013

We stayed at Las Mariposas for ten days. Loved the staff, their morning coffee and some pastry is great. Rooms are cozy and clean. Coming back to the hotel after 8pm you need to ring a bell and someone will come to open the door, but we never had any problems with that.
However, their recommended tour guide that we used was really bad. We took a trip with her to Monte Alban, she was probably knowledgeable, but did not care at all about what we were interested in and it was just two of us with her. You would be better off going on your own, or hiring someone else in town.
Anyway, hotel itself is beautiful, we highly recommend staying there.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Mariposas1, Gerente at Hotel Las Mariposas, responded to this reviewResponded 23 October 2013

we really appreaciate your comments, thanks for let us know what services you did not like during your stay in the hotel , we will check about this.

hope to see you in the future.

Reviewed 14 October 2013

This is a very pleasant small hotel in a good location, about a 10 minute walk from everywhere you want to go. Our room was clean, pretty, bed was firm. Everything in the room was perfectly nice. breakfast was adequate with cornflakes and milk, with coffee and some bread or cake. No Mosquitos in the room. (other guest who left their door opened did complain). Our room was upstairs and water pressure was poor, once in the midst of a shower I had no water - glad I didn't have a head of shampoo. Probably better in the lower level. My main concern was a dispute over price-I travelled with a 13 year old, booking.com gave a price for one adult and child up to age 17, upon check-OUT after 8 nights, the clerk told me I needed to pay for 2 adults. They did settle in my favor after I argued. Also I went on a tour arranged by the hotel and felt I was scammed-was supposed to go to 3 sites but found myself being diverted to shops where I felt pressured to buy, with high prices and likely some sort of kickback going down the chain. All in all, I would stay at las mariposas again, but arrange your own tours

Room Tip: Oops, above in the rating is an error, accidentally clicked fitness and pool (there are none) on my...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Mariposas1, Gerente at Hotel Las Mariposas, responded to this reviewResponded 22 October 2013

we apologize for some invenients you had in the hotel.
we try to give the best service if the guest let us know what is not working ok.

Thank you so much for take your time on writing a comment.
hope to work with you again.

Reviewed 10 October 2013 via mobile

The hotel is situated in a beautiful designed backyard which is really quite although it is directly at a main street. The rooms are nicely decorated, rather large and equipped with enormous beds. You will be able to have a real good nights sleep for sure. The rooms and baths are very clean and the whole staff is really friendly. Considering the quality of the hotel area and the rooms and the low price per night, this might be your best choice while staying in Oaxaca.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Mariposas1, Gerente at Hotel Las Mariposas, responded to this reviewResponded 15 October 2013

Thank you so much for your comments, hope to work with you in your next visit to Oaxaca.

Reviewed 29 September 2013

I stayed at this hotel with some friends. Four of us in total. Two of us got a room with a kitchenette, and the other two just a basic room with two double beds. Our room had NO SUN coming in at all. This being an eco-friendly hotel, it was hard to justify, being in a room where you couldn't see anything, without turning on ALL the lights. Kind of defied the purpose. On top of that, there was an interesting smell coming from the bathroom. I hate to say it, but it did smell of urine all the time. You could tell they cleaned the rooms everyday and made the beds, but never touched the bathrooms. Which I would have preferred personally.

However, the service was friendly, the people running it and everyone who worked with them were lovely, and the courtyard is really charming. The beds were comfortable, and the coffee served at breakfast was delicious. Overall, my stay was okay and pleasant enough, but I would not return. There are many other budget hotels with a tiny bit more life. This place was way way too quiet. Go if that's your thing.

Room Tip: The room up the stairs, right by the kitchen is the one we occupied that allowed no natural light in...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Amnah H
Mariposas1, Gerente at Hotel Las Mariposas, responded to this reviewResponded 17 October 2013

we apologize for not having met your expectations as you could see during your visit it was the rainy season and unfortunately many rooms were affected by the humidity.
Every day housekeeping cleans all the rooms paying special attention to the bathrooms.
If we had known your room wasn´t satisfactory, we would have been glad to move you to another room.
Hope to work with you in your next visit to Oaxaca.

Reviewed 16 September 2013

I practically liked everything about the hotel, starting with the price, then location, the courtyard and especially the American fellow travellers you meet at breakfast. The staff was helpful and friendly. Unlike my other guests I was not bothered by mosquitoes and slept quite well on the mattress. The rooms are quite dark, but comfortable, it takes ages until the warm water in the shower shows up, but that's about the only minor thing to remark on the downside.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Frauke L
Mariposas1, Gerente at Hotel Las Mariposas, responded to this reviewResponded 2 October 2013

Thank you for your opinion that gives us the opportunity to explain the guests and the general public that for Hotel "Las mariposas" the environment is very important , so that our goal is to become an ecological hotel. One of many things we have done to accomplish this is to implement solar water heaters, in order to safe water we put in all bathrooms a tray where putting the cold water while hot water falls. It is the reason hot water takes some minutes to fall.
Thanks for your remark. We hope to see you in your next visit to Oaxaca!