Cielo Rojo Hostel, Oaxaca
Ranked #26 of 119 Speciality Lodging in Oaxaca
Reviewed 4 July 2013

This is a very good hostel and the people who run it are great. They gave me loads of advice andwere most helpful. It is in a good location not far from the main bus station and the town itself. It was a bit of a walk to get to the collectivos to go to the places outside the city, but in saying that, I was in no rush to get anywhere. Everyone here was chilled and cool. The dorm was clean and comfortable with lockers and thissmall balcony where you could stand and watch Oaxaca go by. Will stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo

Reviewed 30 May 2013

It was a great hostel. Only 20 min walk from the first class bus terminal was awesome.
The hostel was beautiful and I really liked the openess of the building.
The breakfast was great because there were toasts, corn flakes, milk, coffee, and even fresh fruits! And also free water refill was so helpful (so someone cheap like me don't have to spend 8 pesos for a bottle of water).
Though the staff were nice, I often had hard time finding them
But it was really, I mean REALLY, good value for the price. If you are going to Oaxaca, you definately should be in Cielo Rojo.

Room Tip: Any room should be fine! But I stayed in a 8 person room and I really liked it.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Nan P
Reviewed 8 April 2013

I stayed at this hostel with my partner in a private room. The rooms were simple, but it was really all we needed while we were there. The owners/staff were very friendly and reccomended places to go and even took a group of us out. They facilitated a friendly atmosphere and everyone in the hostel got together for drinks out at some less touristy places. Definitely worth checking out.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 April 2013

I could only stay at the hostel for two nights due to work. However that was enough time for me to realize the service is percent, the place is really comfortable and the air smells to relaxation. Wanna chill out?? This is the right place to go :D

• Stayed: March 2013
Reviewed 3 April 2013

I ended up in this Hostel thanks to good reviews it has. In my opinion this was o.k. hostel, but nothing spectacular. It was difficult to sleep before midnight since soundproofing was very poor while some clients were fairly loud. Toilets were were bit run-down. On a positive note, location is good and staff is very friendly. Breakfast was simple, typical to other hostels (bread, corn flakes, fruits).

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank posi5
Reviewed 20 January 2013

I was supposed to stay a day or two after two months of traveling thru Mexico but ended up staying a week and a half. A really good breakfast, great coffee, good kitchen facilities, and some really nice guys own and run this place, and really go out of their way to make you feel comfortable.....Highly recommended!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank barty1013
Reviewed 10 December 2012

I stayed at the Cielo Rojo in August, a few weeks after they opened. In addition to traditional hostile-style bunkbeds, they also offer private rooms. I stayed in a huge, immaculately clean private room with ensuite bathroom that was very quiet and comfortable. This made it perfect for me as a solo female traveler because I had the security and privacy of a hotel room all while getting to enjoy the social atmosphere of a hostile environment. During my stay I met most of the other guests (from all over the world) at breakfast, which is nutritious and plentiful. Hosts Efrain and Mauricio were gracious, knowledgeable, and incredibly helpful. I had a problem with my bank back in the U.S. and they bent over backwards to help me straighten it out in no time. I am well traveled and tend to shy away from goofy-gringo outtings, but they set me up on a wonderful half-day tour that was economical and the highlight of my trip. I will definitely stay here again on my next visit to Oaxaca.

Room Tip: private room with ensuite bathroom is a steal.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo