“Beds cause back problems..”

Cielo Rojo Hostel, Oaxaca
Ranked #28 of 118 Speciality Lodging in Oaxaca
Reviewed 21 May 2014

Good location, friendly staff, nice and quiet but rooms were really dirty and they badly need new mattresses!! We all woke up with back aches, springs are right in your back, all of them just as bad as each other.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Hayley R

Reviewed 27 April 2014

I really enjoyed this hostel for its community feel. I was traveling by myself, but found lots of fun people to hang out with and enjoy the city. The staff was very helpful, and super considerate. It has a very good vibe.

Room Tip: The four person female room was a bit noisy, but I think that has to do with its location near the c...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 5 February 2014

It had been a while since I stayed at a hostel and decided to book the private room at Cielo Rojo. The hostel is centrally located and just a couple of blocks from the main plaza. A comfy bed awaited me in the private room with its own bathroom. Yummy breakfast with local and organic coffee in a sunny patio was the best way to start the day.

The staff at the hostel is very knowledgeable about the city and its outskirts. I was lucky enough to go to Tlahitoltepec in the Sierra Mixe with a group from the hostel and Efrain as a guide, this was an incredible experience. A week was too short of a stay, for I learned from Efrain, Mauricio and Su (staff at hostel) that Oaxaca is incredibly rich in culture and traditions and they are more than willing to share this.

If you are looking for a comfortable and lively place to stay, as well as a cultural experience, Cielo Rojo is the place.

I

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank lilica92101
Reviewed 18 December 2013

The hostel was very accommodating and the staff extremely helpful. They were relaxed, to the point of nearly being horizontal!

Location was central without being too central. The breakfast provided many bananas and, yes, spreads.

As a bonus the rooftop was nice and high and, yes, you can drink beers from there.

Sadly marks must be deducted for the well used mattresses, which were reportedly of an orthopedic quality. They were uncomfortable and I'm sure would have contributed to many a nightmare!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 December 2013

Let me start by saying that I really liked their breakfast: bread, honey, fruits, cereal and coffee - which is more than you get in most Mexican hostels. The room (4 bed mixed dorm) was ok. The room size was ok (not too small), it had a window and it was clean. The hostel has a nice patio where they have some chairs and tables to sit. Also they have a common area with more tables where they also serve the breakfast. What I didn’t like was that the lockers weren’t in the room, but in a common room where they have a computer and some sofas; would feel safer if my stuff was in my room. There was no bathroom in the dorm, but they only had one bathroom / shower upstairs and it was always occupied. I think one bathroom is not enough, especially when everybody is getting up at the same time in the morning to go on tours. But they had hot water in the shower.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank kaffeeanne_87
Reviewed 26 November 2013

This is definitely one of the best hostels I have stayed at in Mexico. I didn't even know it existed- the taxi driver left me at the doorstep when we couldn't find the hostel I was searching for. I'm glad he did. Apparently this place only a little over a year old and still isn't listed in many guidebooks. Among it's many pluses are: its location, its low prices, its cleanliness, its hot water, its excellent ambiance for socializing, its spaciousness, its spectacular view from the terrace, and its owners Mauricio and Efrain. This hostel is gay-friendly, allows extended stays and also offers great information about the surrounding area. I made a ton of friends here from all over the world, and the hostel itself became part of my Oaxaca experience. I highly recommend it.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank JTMcL
Reviewed 16 October 2013 via mobile

I arrived three days ago from Mexico City and decided to stay an extra 15. And no, not because Oaxaca is just Awesome. The location is ideal with attractions all around, and for me personally El Llano Park which is close by for exercise was really a bonus. Rooms are clean and comfortable and the water's hot. It's a very chilled and laid back environment and the wifi works great. Mauricio and Efraim are excellent host and have made my stay very smooth. Come and get some!

Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo