“Excellent food, beautiful setting, great bar!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Casa Oaxaca Cafe
Ranked #37 of 453 Restaurants in Oaxaca
Cuisines: Mexican, Latin
Good for: Business meetings, Child-friendly, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Oaxaca, Mexico
“Excellent food, beautiful setting, great bar!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

I absolutely love this place, the food is excellent, the setting is gorgeous (especially the roof terrace) and the service attentive. It is REALLY good and the bar is also a great place to meet friends and have a snack.

• Visited January 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank CathKumar

Chicago, Illinois
“Have lunch here”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2014

This place was great for lunch. You sit in the rooftop terrace overlooking some of the nearby buildings. It's quite charming. The food was the best we had in Oaxaca. The service was quite good. It was hot out but we enjoyed the shade provided by the umbrellas. All the dishes we had were great. We had the ceviche, the mole and other typical Oaxacan dishes and we enjoyed them all. The place is a bit pricey but not pretentious. We all enjoyed this place and would go back.

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank S T
evanston, il
“lovely meal, too dark!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2014

I walked just down the street and around the corner from my hotel to this lovely gourmet restaurant, and I sat up on their outdoor upstairs terrace overlooking the back of the cathedral. In the courtyard below, a dance performance was being held which I could see a little bit of from my terrace perch.
I arrived at the restaurant in the early evening and it was still light out...during the course of my meal there, it got dark and the restaurant has very paltry lighting on the terrace, to the point that when my main course arrived, I literally could not see what I was eating. That was quite disconcerting. The food was wonderful. I had one of the best moles I have ever had, on organic turkey breast. It was delicious.
But they really need to string up some electric lights and/or have a lot more, larger candles. The tiny luminarias on my table kept going out, and even when lit provided virtually no light.
I might have stayed for dessert if I had been able to see anything!
The food, however, was really wonderful. It was one of the best meals I had in Mexico.

Visited April 2014
2 Thank nancyb10
Colombia
“Best meal ever on Oaxaca!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2014

Expensive by Oaxacan standards but not Canadian. Lovely garden setting, make sure to sit in a shaded area if your having lunch...I had a huge piece of tuna grilled just enough to sear it with a wonderful green sauce, not to spicy...To die for! A sauce was made for me at the table to my own specifications. Exceptional service. I will definitely be back. It's a little out of the way, in Colonia Reforma, but I went without a reservation and there was no problem...Worth the taxi trip...

Visited February 2014
Eugene, Oregon
“Lunch in the Garden”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2014

Both the food and the atmosphere make Casa Oaxaca Café a most enjoyable spot for lunch or dinner. Tables in an open patio provide an inviting setting and we found the food equally satisfying. Typical Oaxacan dishes are prepared with skill and served with a friendly, sophisticated flair. The roasted tomato salsa that waiters prepare tableside is one of the most flavorful we have sampled in Oaxaca. Salads are crisp and creative. A most pleasant place to relax and enjoy the tastes and ambiance of Oaxaca.

• Visited February 2014