“Amazing scenary.. poor infrastructure”
Review of Hierve el Agua

Ranked #7 of 118 things to do in Oaxaca
Melbourne, Australia
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Amazing scenary.. poor infrastructure”
Reviewed 16 July 2014

Hierve el AGua per se is amazing, such a beautiful place! However, it is very hard to get there.. the main freeway was close, we got lost, we had to go for a secondary road. At the end, we found the place but we were too tired for really enjoying the place.
I just want to go back to Oaxaca

Visited June 2014

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Different experience”
Reviewed 14 July 2014

Beautiful place with natural swimming pools suspended in a mountain with a magnificent view. People can have a bath overlooking the mountains around.This place stays a little bit far from Oaxaca and part of the road is bad, so we advise to go there in an organized tour, as we do. There are interesting tours from Oaxaca. They pick us up from the hotel.

Visited July 2014
1 Thank Isabel R
Hong Kong, China
342 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 463 helpful votes
“Wonderful views, hard to get to”
Reviewed 11 July 2014

While staying in Oaxaca I was keen to visit this place as I have enjoyed similar places in other countries. The most obvious way to get here for those without a car is to take a tour from Oaxaca but as it is only provided as one stop in a much larger tour I decided to visit independently.
I took a collectivo (25peso) from Oaxaca to Mitla at 9am arriving around 10am in Mitla. I was dropped a the collectivo buses but I was the only one there and was told we had to wait for others, as there were road closures the buses from Oaxaca were apparently late and I waited for well over an hour before others arrived. Another 45mins to an hour journey (40 peso plus 10 for a local community) and then the truck dropped us on a random road where apparently it was only a "10 minute walk", it was more than that. 25 peso entry fee. I wandered down to the pools and then decided to visit the other lookout point, I was told I had to take a guide - I dont think this was true because others were walking without but they only wanted a tip and he took me down to see the waterfall which was very interesting, walk took about 30 minutes.
Went for a swim in the pools, cool but refreshing and then realised it was already 2.30pm so decided to leave. Wait 20 minutes for a truck, hour back to Mitla, 30 min wait for bus, hour back to Oaxaca.
A beautiful place but very time consuming to get there and back from Oaxaca unless you have more luck with waiting times.

Visited July 2014
1 Thank teamflames
Mexico City, Mexico
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Ecotourism”
Reviewed 1 July 2014

If you enjoy ecotourism then you defensively have to go! This place has a group of "tweeked" natural pools that were made from a natural spring (cold) on the top of some beautiful cliffs! Take a towel and tough sandals!

Visited April 2014
Tuxtla Gutiérrez
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Opinion”
Reviewed 30 June 2014 via mobile

Amazing place, the way to get there is a little bit rough but once you're there you forget all that, the place and the contrast with the mountains gives you an unbelievable view, great experience.

1 Thank Gabrigordillo

Been to Hierve el Agua? Share your experiences!