“Nice hotel - Would Visit Again”
Review of XTILU Hotel

XTILU Hotel
Ranked #26 of 109 Hotels in Oaxaca
Fairview, Tennessee
“Nice hotel - Would Visit Again”
Reviewed 20 July 2014

Just spent the last 5 nights in Oaxaca at Xtilu. Very clean, nice hotel with attentive service. But found that most employees speak little English. Two of us stayed in room 104 right beside the "patio". The room and bathroom are very small but we were not in Oaxaca for a large room. It was noisy at times but not enough to make us not stay here again. Breakfast was fabulous! We both loved it! Also loved the location. It was about 5 blocks from Zocalo where we spent a lot of time and ate most meals. I felt safe in the neighborhood walking at night. Never any issues. I read the reviews before booking this hotel and they talked about nightly turn down service but we only had that on our last night. This is not a negative I just don't know if we got missed or if they only do it on the final night. One suggestion - please put a clock in the room.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Mary W

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Paris - France
Reviewed 7 July 2014

We staid there 2 nights, during our 3 week trip in Mexico this year.

First, it is located a few minutes from the center, so it is both convenient and quiet.
The door of the hotel, you cannot guess from outside that there is such a beautiful property with a nice outdoor patio.
We were welcomed professionnaly and in a friendly way. We had a car, so someone accompanied my husband to the parking lot which is located in the following street, 1 minute away.

Our room was at the back, on the ground floor. It was spacious, the bed was comfortable. I loved the bed decoration.
We had the breakfast in the outdoor patio, a lot to choose from, and the quality of the products that were used were top notch, very fresh, you do not see that everywhere.
The hotel was very quiet, we loved that, and we felt very special in this relaxing atmosphere.
This property is to be recommended.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Globetrekkiegirl
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Reviewed 26 May 2014

I just spent a wonderful 5 days at XtlU. The place is beautiful – and smells brand new (which it is!). I had a standard queen room – which was a perfect size. In additionto the bed – there were two comfortable chairs and an end-table as well as patio furniture outside my room. Much to my delight – the bed had a down comforter – which I used – and it just felt luxurious. Breakfast was a delight. I had coffee and homemade bread every morning- with a choice of spreads – including hibiscus and pear, guayaba, and butter and tepozcal. I was served fresh fruit with a yogurt/honey dressing and topped with sesame seeds. There was a choice of entrees – all using local Oaxacan foods. I had chilaquiles one morning- and on another morning – eggs that were shaped like tortillas and stuffed with cheese and poblano peppers. Surprisingly, it was not hot. Several mornings I had to leave before 8 a.m. (the time breakfast starts) – but they were more than accommodating with both the timing – and also the menu choices. Octavio, the general manager, functioned as waiter, greeter, tour guide, valet – whatever. He was more than accommodating. All the staff were helpful and friendly – including one who called me during a mild tremor to tell me to get dressed and come to the patio! The location was good- close to the zocalo and market. It is located on a street that has minimal traffic- so it wasn’t as noisy as some others. All in all – it was a wonderful place that I would highly recommend. I intend to come back!

Room Tip: I stayed on a second floor room in the back. It helped with noise.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank toni827
OctavioPerez, Gerente at XTILU Hotel, responded to this review, 27 May 2014
Thank you for your comments, in Xtilu Hotel all the staff are happy to read your critical because this help us to be best in our job. I´m honored with your words and i hope you returns in your next visit to Oaxaca city.

¡Thanks for live the Xtilu experience!
MEXICO
Reviewed 10 February 2014

An old and deteriorated building that was occupied by many poor families simultaneously, then abandoned, was recuperated in a very smart and elegant architecture work, giving birth to X’tilu, a nice hotel with the taste of a typical construction of years gone, but new materials and beautiful decoration of local artists.
The hotel offers breakfast: local products, a touch of modernity but without losing the taste of Oaxaca.
The service staff all around the hotel is very attentive and warm. Always ready to help with any question or request.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank RAUL Y
Tahoe City, California
Reviewed 9 January 2014

Xtilu was the perfect stay for Oaxaca. It is about 5 blocks from the city center; just enough space away from all the hustle and bustle but an easy walk. It is impeccably clean and the staff is beyond friendly. Because our Spanish was not perfect, the front desk ladies booked everything for us and looked up everything we needed to know. The breakfast was so wonderful! We each tried something new everyday and each day was more delicious than the next. I would recommend it to anyone staying in Oaxaca.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Hilary S
Reviewed 30 December 2013

My wife was kind enough to make this reservation, so naturally I was a bit afraid, but she definitively proved that she was right on it. This is a small (fifteen room) "boutique" hotel. Brand new! Reception great! An exceptional included "gourmet" breakfast is included. Staff is excellent; Miguel the "everything" man (Valet parking, luggage carrier, assistant waiter, children entertainer, etc., etc), Ruben, the waiter, Octavio, the General Manager as well as the receptionists, Berenice and Nancy. Every one of them extremely helpful and always with a smile. Sparkling clean. My room, 104, was rather smallish with the bathroom even smaller and not 100 % comfortable because of size, but very adequate. Great bed (I love hardish beds"! A true Oasis in a jam packed city because of Christmas and New Year. Congratulations!

Room Tip: Chose a room not around the "patio", could be a bit noisy if hotel is full.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Alexander D
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 14 November 2013

We loved our stay at Xtilu- the property is clean, comfortable, and beautifully designed. The front door is always locked which gives you a sense of security. The staff is extremely courteous, professional, and knowledgeable. They truly made us feel welcomed! We loved the courtyard and included breakfast menu- the meals are hearty, traditional, and absolutely delicious! The rooms are spacious, comfortable, modern, and fully equipped with new a/c units and television. The beds are comfortable. We were pleasantly surprised to receive nightly turn-down service and find a delicious treat on our pillows. The property is quiet and a nice size- under 20 rooms approximately. The location is about a 10 minute or 6 block walk from the Zocalo -definitely within walking distance. We can't wait to return soon!

Room Tip: We enjoyed our room on the second floor. There's a nice terrace area you can access.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple