“Calm Oasis in Great Location”
Review of Hotel CasAntica

Hotel CasAntica
Ranked #18 of 109 Hotels in Oaxaca
Manchester
“Calm Oasis in Great Location”
Reviewed 4 December 2013

This hotel is in a lovely old building in the historic centre of Oaxaca. The room was comfortable and clean. Nearby there are fantastic restaurants, shops and museums.
Things we liked about this hotel:
Peaceful ambience, shady internal courtyards with lots of space and tables for sitting outside. The staff were also friendly and helpful.
Things we were not so keen on: The free breakfasts were very poor and their coffee was like brown water. after the first 2 mornings we went out for breakfast.
This hotel badly needs lifts - it is not acceptable to have a hotel on 3 floors without providing lifts. There were lots of stairs

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Reviewed 8 October 2013

We only stayed here for one night, but the grounds were beautiful. The hotel is still very colonial style. However, it is overpriced in comparison to so many other great hotel options in Oaxaca. The room we got was small and there was music blaring all night right out the back of our room. We were extremely jetlagged so got some sleep, but to pay over 100 a night for a room is steep in Mexico and you expect better service and quality. The included breakfast is lovely though with many options including hot and cold.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Lanna7890
Reviewed 3 October 2013 via mobile

Location and service were fantastic. The hotel is well kept, rooms maybe small but clean and decor is very adequate. This is not a fancy hotel but it does have a nice feel to it. There is a swimming pool which in all fairness we didn't use but there were people using it. Noise was no problem for us, parking worked well, left car outside, they take it and 15 min prior to you leaving they bring it back. This hotel will allow you it get a good feel of what Oaxaca city centre is like and obviously see santo Domingo convent and it's lovely restaurants around. Breakfast was good and the options were more than a few. If we had to go back to Oaxaca we would not doubt in staying there once again. Price was fair and hotel was good for us.

Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 6 September 2013

Stayed here for a few nights and left early. Originally I went in to a budget room which was right near the construction - the room was musty, dark, and loud. I could hear construction people at 8:00 am, when I told the hotel staff they said they were only "setting up." I don't want to be awaken by people setting up. I then changed rooms to a room in the middle of the hotel to only be awaken the next day with more construction - again "setting up." The next night I heard noises above my bed which was the "washroom - but no one there" - then why would I hear noises? Note - In my daily life I live in a major city along train tracks so I'm used to some noise. Next day the hot water in the hotel was out for a few hours. The final straw was going out to take a walk, returning at 12:00 noon to find a sign that read the hotel was close for 2 hours for fumigation. I asked the hotel staff how often they did this and they said twice a year. I have a 4 year old daughter, you could smell the fumes in the air. I didn't choose to stay at a place fumigating and would NOT in my daily life ever come back to recently fumigated place to sleep. I packed up and left immediately even though I only had one more night in Oaxaca. I will never stay in this hotel for another trip in my life. The staff was very friendly and the hotel appeared clean and was very beautiful on a plus side. I recommend that the hotel management/owners close the hotel, finish repairs, fumigate during this time, and get it together. No one wants to stay in a toxic construction zone.

Room Tip: Do not bother with the budget rooms, they are dark and damp.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank 109justinem
Reviewed 3 September 2013

The presidential suite is spacious and beautifully decorated in colonial style. Although little daylight entered, two balcony doors opened to the street looking out over chapels and bells and more colonial buildings. A jacuzzi in the bathroom was clean and worked perfectly, and adds to the romantics of the whole place. The extra touch of a rose pettal path, red roses, and fresh fruit breakfast in the room made this an unforgettable experience! The heated swimming pool was also a pleasure to come home to after exploring the countryside! Thank you for this very special treat!!!

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank GreenLifeArtist
North Haven, Connecticut
Reviewed 28 July 2013

I loved our stay at Casantica. The staff was wonderful, their normal mode of operation was to take care of our needs graciously and without fuss. Our trip coincided with the Guelaguetza celebration and we wanted to get last minute tickets. They got on the phone and we had front row tickets cheaper than Ticketmaster was offering (which ended up being sold out anyway). My only complaint with this hotel is they seemed a little stingy with the TP....lol.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Berswar
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 31 May 2013

We recently stayed at Casantica. It is a nice, charming and centrally located property in Oaxaca. I had previously read the comments on Trip Advisor, and I requested a room on the highest floor, so that I could get more morning sunlight in our room. All of the rooms -by the way, very small -, face the interior of the former convent.

Anyway, I wanted to mention that the hotel has a very bad service at the restaurant. They offer this promotion with breakfast included, so you get to choose different hot meal options, which are not bad at all. The problem is that their personnel is poorly trained. They have two waiters that never make eye contact with customers. They never say "buenos días" or "hi". They just wait until you sit and then they approach the table with an unfriendly look to deliver the menus. You dont really feel the traditional Mexican welcome at this place.

The first morning I asked for coffee and the waiter came back with a dirty cup. I told him to get me another coffee and all he did was to pour the old coffee into a new cup. Of course, the coffee was cold by the time I got it back. The third morning, the same waiter did exactly the same: my wife ordered coffee and he brought her a cold one. I told him to get her a new, fresh coffee and he only placed the same cup in the microwave to warm it up. I was really upset and told him to get a fresh coffee, not a "microwaved' one. Instead of bringing a new coffee, he started asking me and my wife why would she need a new, fresh coffee. So, that was it. We left the restaurant and went out to look for a Starbucks or something similar.

This is just a clear example of poor hotel management. They should really train their employees (all of them, including cooks and maids), to say "buenos días", smile and immediately address an easy issue like exchanging a cold cup of coffee for a fresh one without questioning customers. Oaxaca - and Mexico in general- is a friendly hospitable place, but small issues like this can sometimes ruin the whole experience...The first impression for a foreign tourist starts at the hotel. If everything goes well there, he will reccomend the hotel, the city and the country. Please take note.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple