“Return Trip Just As Delightful”

Hotel Parador San Agustin
Ranked #18 of 113 Hotels in Oaxaca
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Return Trip Just As Delightful”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2012

Return trip (prior stay was August 2010; see review). Everything is lovely -- hotel, staff, location, atmosphere. Breakfasts too. Comfortable rooms and absolutely immaculate -- everywhere. Didn't see a bug anywhere; walked barefoot in room and terrace without a second thought. Location can't be beat, nor can accomodating staff. You can't do better at this price point.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Eric1004

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Boulder, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2012

We pulled into town without a place to stay and our first night we stayed at an average hotel. The next morning we stopped by this hotel and found they had an available room. The staff is incredibly friendly (Eli is fantastic....he is really funny and is willing to help you practice Spanish and he speaks English which is so helpful). The rooms are clean, safe and spacious. If you pay in cash, breakfast is included. We would highly recommend this place. It is just 2 blocks from the Zocalo.

Room Tip: We stayed in a room with a balcony. The doors block out the noise and make it completely dark.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Brownsville, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2011

Just spend a week at Hotel Parador San Augustin. Wonderful place to stay. Real close to the Zocalo (3 minute walk). Old rustic colonial building with lots of charm and ambiante.

Free breakfasts (if you pay in cash) of your choice were delicious and plentiful.

We had a double with balcony which was clean, plenty of hot water, comfortable beds, a bit noisy because we requested a balcony on street but it was well worth it to open the door to the balcony and sit outside and let in all that fresh air, fresh towels with excellent cleaning service each day.

Personnel at the hotel were just wonderful. People at front desk were helpful and provided us with lots of informatioon. Especially helpful was Eli. His English was good and he provided lots of detailed information about places to visit, how to get to specific locations and where to get best buys. Kitchen staff (I was even introduced to the cook), including waiters gave us every consideration. Keep coffee cups full, brought more tortillas, salsas or whatever we needed and were gracious in every way. Leaving the best to last, I need to say something about the charming young lady manager. She always greeted us with what must be he biggest and most beautiful "sonrisa" in all of Mexico. She was gracious, made every guest and tourist feel important with her positive attitude and pleasing personality, was helpful in every way and made our stay in Oaxaca as one of the most memorable of all our frequent trips to Mexico. She is a real contribution to promoting foreign tourism in Mexico. We will certainly stay their again in the future

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank binder40
New Mexico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2011

This is a great place to stay in Oaxaca! The hotel has colonial charm, is 1 1/2 blocks from the Zocolo, has free car parking a short walk (3 blocks) away, has spotless rooms, is quiet, and has a very helpful staff. Pay with cash and your ample breakfasts of fruit, eggs, pan, and Oaxacan plates are included! Highly Reommended!

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank AzmoNewMexico
Cape Town Central, South Africa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 January 2011

Centrally located stunning mansion with enormous rooms! Staff was very helpful and attentive.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled solo
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2010

1-1/2 blocks off the zócalo (the main square), this absolutely charming hotel is a converted residence with beautiful colonial charm, an extraordinarily helpful staff, immaculate rooms, and the best location in Oaxaca. Rooms (I think there are a total of 16) were extremely comfortable. We stayed in the suite toward the back of the hotel. Benefts were (a) no street noise (as I suspect there is in the three rooms that front the street; and (b) a separate sitting room into which we comfortably moved two twin beds for kids. Breakfasts (not included) were delightful in the central courtyard, though other options abound in the zócalo nearby. The owner (Raúl), who grew up in the house before he converted it to a hotel, is frequently on-site. He speaks excellent English and is as warm a host as you could want. As with most hotels in the center of town, rooms have ceiling fans but no a/c. We felt completely comfortable with fans. Rooms and common areas were immaculate. Never saw bugs. Ample hot water and pressure. Comfortable linens. You can spend much more in Oaxaca for a room, but I'm convinced you won't find a better value anywhere.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank Eric1004
Austin, TX
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 January 2010

I stayed at this hotel for a total of 12 nights between 12/20/09 and 1/4/10. When I started planning my trip in September of 2009, I did a lot of research about lodging. Oaxaca City offers a wide range and variety of lodging. Because of the length of my stay, I was looking for something reasonable that would not break my bank account; that meant between 50 and 80 dollars a night. This time of the year is one of the high seasons in Oaxaca. My first choice would have been a B&B. Based on reviews on Tripadvisor.com and other sites, I contacted three B&Bs that were supposed to be very cute and very reasonable. All were already booked for the season. I was overwhelmed by the hotel options. What tipped the scale towards this hotel is that I could reserve online, it was within the price range I was looking for (850 pesos a night), its location, and it got decent reviews. Like all businesses within a several-block radius from the main plaza or zocalo, it’s in an old Colonial renovated building, It’s a small hotel, two stories; rooms open to a small courtyard. It is very clean, though somewhat on the dark side. I had a choice of a room with a window facing the street, but with lots of street noise, or a room in the back with no windows, but much quieter. I chose the back. I could open the door to let in light from the courtyard. The room was large, bigger than our master bedroom at home, high ceiling with three skylights, two double beds, big bathroom with lots of hot water, big closet, rustic wood furniture, cable TV and a big armchair. And of course, wireless connectivity included in the price.
This hotel is nothing fancy. It's not particularly cute, like many others I walked by. It actually is quite devoid of charm, which I didn't think possible for the price and location. At times I wondered if they had purposefully stripped all aspirations to charm. Such lost opportunities. I had breakfast there my first morning there. The food was quite unremarkable, almost to the point of inedible. How could that be possible in such a culinary hot-spot? Thereafter, I walked somewhere else for breakfast. Now, I have to point out that I'm allergic to eggs. It's possible that the egg dishes are quite good.

Another down for this hotel. The front desk personnel were not particularly friendly;, nor seem to go out of their way to assist you. I was somewhat suprised at their indifference towards their guests. I am fluent in Spanish, so it was not a language barrier issue. Even the very nice guide I hired who came to pick me up, commented on the fact that, "Aqui no son muy amables" (They are not very friendly here), after trying to exchange a few pleasantries with the front desk.

However, for the price, it has an excellent location. It is 1 ½ blocks from the zocalo, and within walking distance of all points of interest. It is very clean, and as a woman travelling alone, I felt quite safe. For my next trip to Oaxaca, I will start looking for lodging much earlier.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled solo