“comfort and easy in the heart of el centro”
Review of Casa Pereyra Hotel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Oaxaca
Casa Pereyra Hotel
Ranked #14 of 126 Oaxaca B&B and Inns
Portland, Oregon
“comfort and easy in the heart of el centro”
Reviewed 22 December 2012

this charming hotel provided a restful and relaxing respite during a whirlwind 5-day trip to oaxaca city for el dia de los muertos in 2010. although we didn't take advantage of the kitchen spaces as often as we would have liked, the option was great to have just in case! coffee was served each morning, although i believe at the time breakfast was advertised (memory may not serve me correctly). casa pereyra was an oasis of calm and the staff was lovely and accommodating.

Room Tip: request a suite with the bed separate from the rest of the space... the extra little bit is worth it...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank imbibingeye

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Oaxaca, Mexico
Reviewed 17 November 2012

From the moment I arrived at Casa Peyrera I was lavished with a spirit of welcome. It's true that the rooms here are charming, comfortable and aesthetically pleasing and that it's just a few blocks from the Zocalo so that the magic of Oaxaca is right at your fingertips but it's also true that the staff here must have Ph.D.s in the right way to run a hotel. I stayed here for one month and found genuine expressions of care, even nurturance, coming from the amazing women who work here. From the owner, Rosa-Elena, who brought me postres for my birthday, to Patricia the manager, who greeted me each morning with a smile and fulfilled every need and request I had, to Silvia whose fluency in English helped to bridge the language barrier, to Sophie and Ruthie whose presence always brought warmth and friendliness. Honestly, I did not want to leave because it felt like home away from home, a sanctuary for the soul.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank blueflame7
dttareed
Reviewed 12 November 2012

Great location, walking distance to center and tons of wonderful restaurants and shops. Spacious & clean rooms. Quaint courtyard area where delicious coffee is complimentary in the mornings. I would definitely stay there again. Be sure to check out their shop in the lobby.. Cute things!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank dttareed
casapereyra, Propietario at Casa Pereyra Hotel, responded to this review, 15 November 2012
Dear guests:
Was a pleasure to have your visit in our Hotel. Thank you for let us know to know your experience with us.
We are so happy you have good memories about our pretty city and our Hotel Casa Pereyra. We hope to have your visit the next time that you come to Oaxaca
We look forward to see you again.
Kind regards,
Staff Hotel Casa Pereyra
Campbellford, Canada
Reviewed 7 March 2012

Casa Pereyra was recently my home for a month and what a wonderful home it was, too. The location is perfect, just a few minutes from the zocalo and within easy walking distance of shops, restaurants and beautiful churches. While there, I had a medical emergency that required a few days in hospital. Office manager Patricia and casa owner Rosa-Elena Castro Pereyra came to visit and Mrs. Castro Pereyra even drove me home. Other Casa guests also helped. Their consideration and kindness made recuperating much easier. And left me with some very good memories.
The little courtyard is a charming spot to visit with other guests, have a drink or even watch hummingbirds take a bath. The studio apartment was, clean, cosy and comfortable.

Room Tip: Some apartments have a circular staircase to the bedroom.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank menziesjd
Stowe, Vermont
Reviewed 18 February 2012

The Casa Pereyra is in a great location. The street is very busy but inside is quiet and charming. You enter a nondescript door and find a charming court yard with iron tables and chairs that can be used by guests to chat, eat a meal, share drinks or use your computer with they hotel's WiFi connection. Rooms are very clean. We found a tray of coffee outside our door each morning. Friends had a lovely suite with a fully equipped kitchen with eating bar, sleeping loft, and living area with an extra bed. The staff was very helpful.

Room Tip: We had room 8 on the second floor with a private balcony and queen sized bed. Lots of shelves and c...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank maryevslin
US
Reviewed 5 February 2012

We, like the previous reviewers, were in Oaxaca early January when the next door business decided to try to open an illegal club that made ALOT of noise on Friday and Saturday nights. We had stayed here on a previous occasion and were dismayed at the noise level. The Casa Pereyra owners hired a lawyer and convened a meeting with the municipal inspectors that raided the club one early Saturday morning and closed the place down. Thank God!
Now that the quiet is restored we are very happy.
Also, on another note is that a fellow traveler became seriously ill and needed emergency surgery and the Casa Pereyra owner quickly got an ambulance and had the visitor transported to the private hospital, Clinica Reforma, where she had surgery and has been receiving excellent post surgical care.

Room Tip: wifi works in apartments 4 and 5 but you have to sit in the patio to use it if you are staying in ap...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank QuinnT
San Francisco
Reviewed 2 January 2012

In a few words here-- the proprietor of this hotel, the very sweet Patricia, faces a serious problem that is apparently out of her control. There is a pop-up night club that has sprung up in an empty building next door, and they BLAST music from midnight until 6 a.m. When I say BLAST, I mean that it sounds as if they have set up their giant sound system in your room at Casa Pereyra. I normally pride myself on sleeping through ANYTHING, but sadly this level of noise (volume 10) was intolerable, in fact it was actually quite torturous. When I say 6 a.m., we left at 6:45 am ("let's get the F*%# out of here!!!" were our actual words) and the music was still going. (Thank god they at least had a really good DJ. We should have just gotten up and danced until 7 am with them at the foot of our bed). Patricia doesn't live on the property, so she can't hear the noise. According to another guest that spoke to the hotel staff about the noise, one of the hotel staff said that the police can't catch these rouge club promoters because they are setting up in a nearby vacant building. Huh? They are blasting music on volume 10 to a crowd of hundreds of people that are hooting and hollering for 6-7 hours every night and they can't be found? I'll help the police out on this one...they are right next door to Casa Pereyra guys! Still, it makes it sound as if the staff has known of this problem before. They need to warn guests in advance that this might happen.

Judging from the previous reviews, which is how I booked in the first place, this pop-up nightclub must be new, because it isn't mentioned elsewhere. Therefore, rather than give the hotel a one-star review (I think it is reasonable to be able to expect to sleep at a hotel, and if that is impossible then the place deserves one star) I will give it three stars. If the pop-up club wouldn't have happened, twice, I would give it 5 stars for the value.

My advice to future travelers? Be sure to negotiate something up front with Patricia should the club promoters return (maybe we were simply unlucky and they only came for two nights while we were there during the New Years weekend?). If the club takes place, the room should be free that night since you will not sleep.

Other tips? The hotel is spotless, the staff are super helpful, the location is fantastic. If you want privacy, don't book studios 1-3 since other guests gather at the chairs and tables in the shared courtyard directly in front of these rooms. You can close your doors and windows of course, but that means you will lose all natural light. However, these are the rooms with kitchenettes, so if you plan to cook then I think these are the rooms to book.

Overall, had we been able to sleep, I would say that Casa Pererya is a great place for the price. A charming hotel in a great location- just 3 blocks from the zocolo. Patricia is a good host, and will point out sights worth visiting. There isn't any parking, so if you have a rental car expect to pay $8 per day in a garage, or follow the parking rules and just park on the streets about 4 blocks away where overnight parking is allowed. The hotel has free slooooow WIFI for those that need it. We didn't turn on the TV so I can't comment on it.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple