“A life we could get used to”
Review of Oaxaca Ollin

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Oaxaca
Oaxaca Ollin
Ranked #2 of 134 Oaxaca B&B and Inns
Reviewed 12 October 2006

In February 2006, my daughter and I stayed at Oaxaca Ollin and have only the highest praises for its accommodations. We are going back in February 2007. The owners, Judith Reyes and Jon McKinley, were warm and friendly, and exceptionally helpful with any plans that we wanted to make. Sofi, the cook, served the most scrumptious breakfasts, prepared while we ate fresh fruit and bakery items and drank fresh fruit juice. The rooms were nicely decorated and as neat and clean as any 5-star hotel, perhaps cleaner. The B&B is attractive with a homey atmosphere. My only regret is that we were unable to stay more than a week. It´s the kind of life we could get accustomed to very easily. We highly recommend it!

Reviewed 5 October 2006

We spent five days at the Oaxaca Ollin and only wish it had been twenty-five. Our room was lovely, quiet and clean and Sofia's breakfasts were phenominal. Jon and Judith were terrific hosts, helping us organize day-trips and offering great suggestions for places to see and eat in the city. The entire staff was warm, friendly and helpful. Also, you can't ask for a better location. Museums, markets, shopping and great restaurants are all within easy strolling distance. Oaxaca is a gem of a city and the Casa Ollin is a gem of a B&B. And, don't forget to try the house mezcal - it's one of the best!

• Stayed: September 2006, travelled as a couple
1  Thank cmrlmt
Reviewed 2 October 2006

A friend and I had the pleasure of staying at Oaxaca Ollin for about a week in June. I spent a week riding around Mexico and this B&B was a vacation within a vacation. First of all the place is immaculate, and just stunning to look at. The pool and rooms are at a level any hotel in the states should strive for. The morning breakfasts were out of this world, beyond words, nothing I can type would do them justice.

The real bonus of the hotel was Jon, Judith and the whole staff there. It really has a family atmosphere. One day I got a little bit of stomach flu and hung out by the pool all day. The staff treated me like a sick family member. Offering me advice and remedies and especially this tea, which succeeded where Imodium AD failed.

Also, the location is excellent just a few short blocks to the Zocalo, but also close to the places where the tourist to native ratio swings the other way.

To summarize, anytime I or anybody I know goes to Oaxaca this place will be in the plans.

• Stayed: June 2006, travelled with friends
2  Thank borinque
Reviewed 29 September 2006

What can I say about my experience at Casa Ollin other than it was a true home away from home. The courtesy, generosity and hospitality defy "rating" as these are just great people. Mi amigo and I were on a motorcycle tour and both us and our bikes were welcomed with open arms and secured parking!

The room was clean and kept that way over the course of the week we stayed there (and I know based on some of the activities we were doing we brought some mud and dirt along with us!). Having a pool was an added luxury as even though Oaxaca is generally temperate due to its altitude it was June when we were there and some days did get hot.

The food, prepared fresh each morning, was the best I had in a month and a half of travelling (and that includes a fancy all-inclusive resort). Fresh fruit, indescribably delicious mole sauce (a Oaxacan specialty not to be missed!), enchiladas...scrumptious!

The location of the Ollin is within easy walking distance to just about everything in the downtown including the Zocalo (which was occupied by striking teachers at the time). There are several excellent restaurants within a block or so of the B&B. The owners John and Judith and their family are a pleasure to get to know and the house brand Mescal was delicious. Usually it is easy for me to find something to complain about but in this case I must say the Casa Ollin exceeded all of my expectations.

The subject line of the email is a paraphrase of a Oaxacan saying...Por todo mal mescal, por todo bien, tambien...meaning...For everything bad, mescal and for everything good, the same...the Oaxacans sure do like there mescal.

• Stayed: August 2006, travelled with friends
2  Thank MotoLibertine
Reviewed 27 September 2006

April is a warm time to visit Oaxaca, and after a day of strolling through the busy city or exploring the dusty ancient ruins, is was wonderful to open the gate to Ollin and enter the quiet garden patio with its cool tiled floors. The inner courtyard is typical of many homes in Oaxaca and truly is a refuge.

Owners Juan and Judith made us feel very welcome and helped us decide the best things to see during our visit and even helped arrange transportation if needed.

And we have to mention the pleasure of sitting around the breakfast table with the other guests, listening to native music, eating fresh fruit and sipping coffee while we waited for our traditional Oaxacan enchiladas to be served.

Next trip to Oaxaca we will be staying at Ollin. Hope it will be soon!

Cliff and Susie Kellogg
Palomar Mountain, CA

• Stayed: April 2006, travelled as a couple
1  Thank EscrowPool
Reviewed 28 August 2006

I really don't think our stay could have been better. Here's a list of the highlights:

* Room was imaculate - brand new bathroom and cleaned thoroughly everyday (and given bottles of water).
* Pool was just redone in May and is simply gorgeous.
* Friendly staff greeted us everytime we came home (always someone there)
* The owner is originally from California - and having him speak English was incredibly helpful in figuring out what to do and to eat
* When I got sick they had connections about finding out what to do to fix it (a rather odd but successful local remedy)
* Breakfast was great every morning. Authentic mexican. Nice to also eat with fellow travelers and share knowledges and experiences (what to eat and not to eat)
* Location was great - very close to Santo Domingo
* Casa Ollin felt very safe.
* Locked secure armoire

We were there for 2 weeks for a conference and many other people stayed in places that were two to three times the price. None of them had the same level of experience.

Stayed: August 2006
3  Thank galalita
Reviewed 11 August 2006

Everyone at casa ollin was warm, attentive and extremely helpful. the b and b was comfortable (especially the beds!!) and ver yclean. the staff helped us when some of us were feeling a little under the weather or needed help finding a tour guide or wanted to better understand thecurrent political situation. Oaxaca is a beautiful city with lots to do and see and eat and the folks at ollin helped us figure out what to do and eat. They helped us with tours and taxis. The pool was perfect for relaxing midday. the breakfasts were really yummyand other guests were friendly. In a city where many hotels are noisy, ollin is tranquil and quiet. I can't wait to return

• Stayed: July 2006, travelled with family