“Home Away from Home”
Review of Oaxaca Ollin

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Oaxaca
Oaxaca Ollin
Ranked #2 of 130 Oaxaca B&B and Inns
Reviewed 23 January 2007

My wife and I had the pleasure of staying at Casa Ollin from January 6th to 13th, 2007. Jon and Judith were wonderful hosts and they and all of their staff made sure our stay in Oaxaca was one to fondly remember. The rooms were immaculate and very comforable and spacious. Breakfast in the morning was always a treat as we got got sample Sofie's cooking - some of the best in Oaxaca in our opinion. Jon and Judith provided excellent advice on restaurants and provided valuable insights for our tours through the Valley of Oaxaca. With their guidance we were able to visit the workshops of some of the finest indigenous artisans in the Valley. On our next visit to Oaxaca, my wife and I will definitely be returning to Casa Ollin.

• Stayed: January 2007

Reviewed 31 December 2006

Myself and my husband wanted a unique honeymoon, we went through oaxaca then cancun and on to costa rica. I contacted Jon and Judith via email to book a room for the stay in Oaxaca, unfortuneatly the timing was not great and we were caught up in the unrest that this beautiful place has been experiencing, but in all honesty we would still consider the stay a highlight of our 7 week honeymoon even though we had to leave early...... the owners and staff of this gorgeous bed and breakfast are top of the range!!!!! they will treat you like longtime friends but still respect your privacy. The meals we were eating every morning were local to the area and i must say I have been dreaming of the food ever since!!! When the truoble became worse they made sure we got out safely and have even stayed in touch since. The room was huge and the bed was comfy and a king, location wise it is fantastic, only a 5 min walk into the Zocalo, which personally i would not want to stay to close to anyway. The staff are amazing and above all else the price was great value, jon is fluent in spanish and Judith is fluent in english so that was also a benefit for 2 aussies stuggling with the language. We will definately make the long journey back there and would only ever be stying at the Ollin!!!

• Stayed: October 2006, travelled as a couple
2  Thank aussiemojo
Reviewed 26 November 2006

We just returned Friday from Oaxaca. We stayed at the Oaxaca Ollin B&B and had a wonderful experience! Our hosts and their staff made us feel so welcome and were always available to help. I had chosen this inn because of the great reviews and I have to add our voices. Because of the "difficulties" in Oaxaca we wanted to stay somewhere that could help if we needed it. We never encountered any scary situations, although we were there during Revolutionary Day Nov. 20, when there were some protests but we were out touring the countryside so only heard about it from the staff. Our experience was a completely positive one and I urge travelers to visit Oaxaca, such a wonderfully friendly and charming place. The breakfasts at Ollin were different oaxacan specialties every day, served to us by Sophie, a wonderful cook and the hosts, John and/or Judith, always were available to help us with suggestions for planning our days. All in all we were very, very pleased.

• Stayed: November 2006, travelled as a couple
6  Thank bethesue
Reviewed 12 October 2006

In February 2006, my daughter and I stayed at Oaxaca Ollin and have only the highest praises for its accommodations. We are going back in February 2007. The owners, Judith Reyes and Jon McKinley, were warm and friendly, and exceptionally helpful with any plans that we wanted to make. Sofi, the cook, served the most scrumptious breakfasts, prepared while we ate fresh fruit and bakery items and drank fresh fruit juice. The rooms were nicely decorated and as neat and clean as any 5-star hotel, perhaps cleaner. The B&B is attractive with a homey atmosphere. My only regret is that we were unable to stay more than a week. It´s the kind of life we could get accustomed to very easily. We highly recommend it!

Reviewed 5 October 2006

We spent five days at the Oaxaca Ollin and only wish it had been twenty-five. Our room was lovely, quiet and clean and Sofia's breakfasts were phenominal. Jon and Judith were terrific hosts, helping us organize day-trips and offering great suggestions for places to see and eat in the city. The entire staff was warm, friendly and helpful. Also, you can't ask for a better location. Museums, markets, shopping and great restaurants are all within easy strolling distance. Oaxaca is a gem of a city and the Casa Ollin is a gem of a B&B. And, don't forget to try the house mezcal - it's one of the best!

• Stayed: September 2006, travelled as a couple
1  Thank cmrlmt
Reviewed 2 October 2006

A friend and I had the pleasure of staying at Oaxaca Ollin for about a week in June. I spent a week riding around Mexico and this B&B was a vacation within a vacation. First of all the place is immaculate, and just stunning to look at. The pool and rooms are at a level any hotel in the states should strive for. The morning breakfasts were out of this world, beyond words, nothing I can type would do them justice.

The real bonus of the hotel was Jon, Judith and the whole staff there. It really has a family atmosphere. One day I got a little bit of stomach flu and hung out by the pool all day. The staff treated me like a sick family member. Offering me advice and remedies and especially this tea, which succeeded where Imodium AD failed.

Also, the location is excellent just a few short blocks to the Zocalo, but also close to the places where the tourist to native ratio swings the other way.

To summarize, anytime I or anybody I know goes to Oaxaca this place will be in the plans.

• Stayed: June 2006, travelled with friends
2  Thank borinque
Reviewed 29 September 2006

What can I say about my experience at Casa Ollin other than it was a true home away from home. The courtesy, generosity and hospitality defy "rating" as these are just great people. Mi amigo and I were on a motorcycle tour and both us and our bikes were welcomed with open arms and secured parking!

The room was clean and kept that way over the course of the week we stayed there (and I know based on some of the activities we were doing we brought some mud and dirt along with us!). Having a pool was an added luxury as even though Oaxaca is generally temperate due to its altitude it was June when we were there and some days did get hot.

The food, prepared fresh each morning, was the best I had in a month and a half of travelling (and that includes a fancy all-inclusive resort). Fresh fruit, indescribably delicious mole sauce (a Oaxacan specialty not to be missed!), enchiladas...scrumptious!

The location of the Ollin is within easy walking distance to just about everything in the downtown including the Zocalo (which was occupied by striking teachers at the time). There are several excellent restaurants within a block or so of the B&B. The owners John and Judith and their family are a pleasure to get to know and the house brand Mescal was delicious. Usually it is easy for me to find something to complain about but in this case I must say the Casa Ollin exceeded all of my expectations.

The subject line of the email is a paraphrase of a Oaxacan saying...Por todo mal mescal, por todo bien, tambien...meaning...For everything bad, mescal and for everything good, the same...the Oaxacans sure do like there mescal.

• Stayed: August 2006, travelled with friends