“Great place and a great value”

Hotel Casa del Sotano
Ranked #19 of 113 Hotels in Oaxaca
Houston, Tx
“Great place and a great value”
Reviewed 11 June 2009

Highly recommend Hotel Casa del Sotano. My wife and I stayed four nights and couldn't be happier with our choice. The decor is nice throughout. The standard room is of decent size. Very clean and the sheets and towels were changed out everyday. The toiletries are similar to anything you find in the States. The shower and toilet are in tight quarters but nothing to complain about.

No a/c in our room but did have a ceiling fan. During our stay the days were hot but the ceiling fan and shade was more than sufficient to cool off. The evening were cool so we slept comfortably. The location is about a 4 block walk to the zocolo and about 7-8 blocks to some of the tourist bus stops. Very easy access to pretty much everything and away from a lot of the hustle and bustle of the city. The nights were quiet, the mornings a bit more noisy with the staff moving around and running laundry.

One of the best points...the view from the patio balcony. The patio overlooks the city and the temple of Santo Domingo. Great place to sit and take in a beer, glass of wine or coffee and enjoy the view.

The staff at Casa del Santo was very helpful. Granted, I speak very little Spanish but my wife asked them multiple questions and the folks were always happy to accommodate us.

The hotel offers breakfast every morning and during our stay lunch and dinner was by reservation only. We had breakfast every morning and the young ladies that cooked made a great breakfast. The guest were mostly U.S. and the menu seemed to cater to American tastes- eggs, hotcakes, etc. They did have some traditional Mexican dishes as well such as chiliquiles. Everything we had was fantastic! I also recommend the Oaxaca hot chocolate at the hotel....soooo good!

I can honestly say I had no real complaint with this hotel and if I every travel back to Oaxaca this will be my only choice for a hotel.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank dbla72

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Lebanon, PA
Reviewed 11 May 2009

My wife and I just spent the week of May 1 to May 9 at the hotel. What a wonderful time we had. The rooms, while not big, were very clean and very comfortable. We had a room with one double bed and we never felt like we were bumping into each other in the room. As other reviewers have mentioned the bed was very hard compared to what we were used to, but it wasn't completely uncomfortable as to cause back pain. We had a room towards the back of the hotel and on the second floor, which I would recommend since it is further from the street and quieter. While there is no air conditioning, we did have a ceiling fan and with the balcony door open at night with a curtain across we never had a bug probelm and the temperature was fine for sleeping. The restaurant, while slightly pricey, they did have some comfort food (pancakes and french toast) which helped when both my wife and I were having some stomach issues. Each day when the room was serviced they left two small bottles of water. My one disappointment was that the roof top terrace did not have any umbrellas for shade to sit there during the day. I also wanted to take some pictures of the city at night, but it was locked each night.
We both have said that any future trips to Oaxaca we would stay here again without any hesitation.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
Clearwater, Florida
Reviewed 22 March 2009

After feeling unwelcomed at the dirty overrated surly Casa Crespo, we were delighted to find this gem, and moved in immediately at 1/2 the price. Charming rooms, comfy beds, nice linens, excellent housekeeping, lovely gardens, architecture, free internet in office and wireless, a restaurant on site that is good but the service is lame...and it's hours are spotty, that's the only downfall. A great hotel at a great price. The rooms are tiny especially with 2 beds...opt for the queen bed in the solo room so you don't stub your toes!

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with friends
Cambridge, MA
Reviewed 12 March 2009

We loved this hotel. The staff were great and helpful, it is a gorgeous "house" with fantastic views from the restaurant and also there is a pretty roof deck. Our room was very clean, quiet, and pretty - the whole place is decorated in traditional style, there is a central garden, all I had hoped for.
Try their restaurant!!! Fantastic mole and a great traditional breakfast.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
san francisco
Reviewed 14 February 2009

We agree with all the good stuff written by other guests. Friendly staff, good location and it's very clean.
However because people complained about small rooms we decided to splurge on the suite.
It certainly is more spacious but is like a dungeon with hardly any light (you need the lights on all day), rough stone walls and a low vaulted brick ceiling. Though that can be romantically atmospheric you are the first room by reception, you are next to a utility room and on the route the staff take to the breakfast terrace so from 6.00 am onwards there are staff walking back and forth, opening doors and cupboards to get cleaning supplies and calling to each other.
I am sure a room at the other end of the hotel would be lighter and much quieter. We weren't able to change rooms but the ones I peeked in certainly weren't tiny.

• Liked — It is clean, comfortable, conveneinet and good value
  • Disliked — The suite is not suitable for people over 6 feet tall and who like sunshine.
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled as a couple
3 Thank howard47
Mexico
Reviewed 11 February 2009

This hotel is located 3 blocks away from Santo Domingo´s Cultural Center and 5 blocks away from the Zocalo of Oaxaca what makes it perfect for the ones that likes to be in downtown.

The cleanness of the room is very good, the decoration and privacy works very good. Beds are new, you have a safety box in the room, TV with satellite service and free bottles of water daily offered. They have breakfast service that is quite good (could be more diverse but no complains) it is served in a nice terrace, by kind waitress and the service is fast.

We spent there 5 nights in January 09 and we enjoyed a lot. It has also wi-fi internet access all around the place if you brought your laptop or a small business center for free for clients.

The manager is a very kind woman who helped us to arrange a full day taxi service to a very decent price and was always willing to offer information and tips to visit Oaxaca.

The hotel has a gorgeous roof terrace with a great view from the mountains and the city.

We get the reservation done by their website and the whole process was done within the same day what was nice and we received immediate answer to a couple of mails we sent requesting information (i.e: it has no parking but there are some places for you to park your car very close, if needed be)

The relation between quality and price couldn't be better and we will certainly get back there again in our next trip to Oaxaca city.

• Liked — The whole places is beautiful, full of gartdens great decoration and in a very good location
  • Disliked — They could possiby have a more diverse menu in the restaurant
  • Stayed January 2009
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Reviewed 28 January 2009

I spent 6 nights here during a 10 day stay in Oaxaca state (3 nights here, 4 nights on the coast and then back, again).

I had been anxious about the purported lack of basic services (hot water, plumbing, etc) in Oaxaca. I spent several hours reading reviews and decided upon Casa Del Sotano. The public spaces were charming--an attractive courtyard and breakfast terrace (with views of Iglesia Santo Domingo). The ubiquitous Rosa graciously provided information and made sure guests were happy. Omar (perhaps, the owner.?) lent me his personal laptop to use skype (the hotels public computers did not have audio).

The rooms have plaster walls, spanish tile floors, exposed wood beams and attractive french doors to the courtyard. There are safes in the rooms and the doors are secure (2 things that i had taken for granted before my 3 month tour of mexico and south america). My only negative was that the matresses were VERY firm, but, the other reviews of Oaxaca suggest that this is the norm here.

I typically stay in hotels like the four seasons and the hotel ritz in paris. This was not the same type of experience, for sure; but, my expectations were probably exceeded by the same measure. Based upon my awareness of the universe of options in Oaxaca, this has to be one of the best.

• Liked — attractive ambience, rosa in the front, spotless and cozy rooms
  • Disliked — firm matresses
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled solo