“One of my favorite vacations”

and 1 more site!
El Diablo y la Sandia Libres
Ranked #5 of 127 Oaxaca B&B and Inns
New York
“One of my favorite vacations”
Reviewed 23 April 2013

I had an amazing time in Oaxaca, and one of the reasons was my stay at El Diablo y la Sandia. Maria is awesome, the rooms are quirky and cute (we stayed in the mermaid room) and the breakfast is long and lazy - just the way I like it! What I liked most was the colorful vibe of the home - very reflective of Maria - and of Mexico itself. It's walking distance from the main square and it's easy to find cabs if you get tired. There were some crazy dog fights outside on the road every night, but that just added to the experience. Oh and don't miss the mole at La Olla!

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank india_explorer123

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
  • Hebrew first
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 28 March 2013

Overall El Diablo y La Sandia was very nice. The rooms were clean and comfortable and the building is nice and clearly well looked after. We were provided with filtered water and she even has hats and bags that you can use during your stay. The bathroom was small, but the water was hot and it was perfectly adequate. The rooms got a little hot and they only have fans, no A/C, which could be a problem in the hotter months. While the breakfast was good, it was rather simple and we had to get some more food before lunch. Maria was very nice and called us cabs, gave us directions and let us print our boarding passes. She also provided a map with her favorite places, which didn’t end up being our favorite places, but was a helpful starting point.

The main problem we had was noise. Oaxaca city is loud. If you are planning on staying in the city a number of the hotels are on streets that have a lot of traffic. There are buses, cars honking and car alarms that start going off early in the morning. I have traveled extensively in Latin America and I'm not expecting idyllic car-less colonial towns, but the amount of traffic and gas fumes in the city were a bit much. It's not fun to wake up at 7 in the morning to the sound of "Gas Oaxaca" and the drinking water truck barreling down the road. One time we were walking down the street and there was a woman double-parked repeatedly honking on her horn (presumably because someone was late coming to meet her?).

I realize that this is not the B&Bs fault in any way (although I suppose they could install sound-proof glass), but this is something I think one should consider when deciding on a place to stay in Oaxaca City. I did not really want to spend time at the B&B reading or relaxing on the patio upstairs because it was just too loud, which I did not expect. We spent much more time in cafes around town just because they were quieter. It was a little quieter at night, but there was still a good amount of noise from the street.

Overall, our stay was very nice and we would consider staying there again if we decided to stay in the city. However, I think in the future we will stay at a place outside of the city because of the noise.

Room Tip: The rooms all open to a central courtyard, with the exception of one room upstairs which is a little...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
chicago
Reviewed 1 March 2013

...charm, kindness, comfort...El Diablo y la Sandia B&B was a great place to rest and enjoy Oaxaca City! Maria was so cool, and the breakfasts were great! She does this juice mixture in the morning that is groupie-worthy. My girlfriend and I stayed here for a few days on vacation before we went to the coast, and it was her first time traveling. El Diablo y la Sandia was the best place for us to stay to be able to meet some nice people, enjoy the ambience of a charming historic building, drink beers on the roof, and just relax. She had great suggestions for restaraunts and places to walk to. We will stay here again! -B&R, Chicago Il

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BlakeandRachel
New York, New York, United States
Reviewed 20 February 2013

My friends and I stayed with Maria for four nights at her beautiful bed and breakfast. All the rooms are around a central courtyard where I would often work on my computer whilst enjoying a drink. It's truly a homey atmosphere with many guests choosing to chat together about things they had done or seen. The communal breakfast certainly encourages this. Every day we would sit down to a delicious hot breakfast, as well as toast with homemade jams and spreads. The perfect start to a busy day of shopping and exploring!

The rooms are creatively decorated with local artisanal finds, making you instantly feel at home. We were able to enjoy the incredible Oaxacan sunsets from the bougainvillaea filled rooftop, overlooking the spectacular mountain ranges.

The location is central to all the best bits of town, including all the best restaurants and shopping streets. It's also great to get out of town on day trips, either to traditional textile towns, Monte Alban or natural wonders like Hierve El Agua. Maria can help with organising transport and guides for these.

Oaxaca was definitely a highlight of our monthlong Mexico trip, and we will be returning to stay with Maria again soon.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
Chicago
Reviewed 12 February 2013

We stayed 7 days in the roomy Luna room on the second floor; every detail was charming. Maria was super-helpful and always available. Breakfasts were creative and freshly made. The location is an easy walk to all the central-city sites. Maria arranged an all-day guided tour for us to Monte Alban, Mitla, theTule tree and craft villages that was led by a very knowledgeable guide.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed 11 February 2013

my husband and I stayed for 4 nites and left wanting more.
We crammed Mexico city, Oaxaca and Puebla in 10 days and wish we had stayed more at El Diablo. Great atmosphere, lovely breakfasts, charming and warm staff, comfortable rooms with a beautiful patio with both shade and sun for both of us to lounge, read and drink a glass of wine.
Maria manages to be available for guidance, welcoming and friendly without being intrusive or pretentious. She and everyone El Diablo y la Sandia are super charming and make you feel they are happy to be there and to have you there.

Oaxaca has so much to offer with good coffee, so many fabulous food options, nature, and culture including wonderful local history/art and several contemporary art venues including the textile museum and the Manuel Alvarez Bravo Photography gallery.

Could not give a higher recommendation for this B&B or Oaxaca!.... GO!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 January 2013

I will qualify my "excellent" rating by noting that we booked our return stay just one week after returning home. That says a whole lot about the initial experience!

The husband and I stayed at Diablito for 9 days, just after Christmas. It was everything the previous positive reviews said and more! Maria was gracious, accommodating, and flexible. Her "touches" were both elegant and simple, creating a relaxed and welcoming feel. It was cool to feel that you were truly "at home." I found the Inn to be cool and hip, without being trendy and pretentious. The rooms were nicely appointed, comfy and well sized. I especially appreciated the handmade soaps and lotion that were left out for our use during our stay. Breakfast in the morning was always different, and light, flavorful, and just downright tasty. Staff partnering with Maria made sure that we wanted for nothing, and their help was appreciated. Attractions were within walking distance, and easily accessed. Every street we walked offered new experiences, sights and sounds. The mix of guests that Diabilto attracted was eclectic, interesting and engaging. Without question, this was the best vacation spot we have had yet, with El Diablo y La Sandia and Maria contributing to its overall awesomeness. Will we return, absolutely, is it confirmed, you bet!

Congrats to Maria on a job well done. This is what has guest coming back for more of the good stuff.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple