“All you've heard is true!”
Review of La Popular

La Popular
Ranked #61 of 508 Restaurants in Oaxaca
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: After-hours
Dining options: After-hours
Reviewed 3 May 2014

I live in Oaxaca a few minutes from La Popular and based on all the 5 star trip advisor reviews decided last night to give it a try. This is now my new "Go-To" place in Oaxaca. Food is incredible and the prices super reasonable. Plus, you can sit by the widow and grab all your friends as they walk down to the zocalo and have an instant party! Best advice, Tell Hector what kinds of things you have a yen for and let him decide on the menu. Very vegetarian friendly.

1  Thank AnikaC

Reviewed 3 April 2014

Looking from the outside, you would never guess the food served within this establishment. It is by far some of the best food I have had in Oaxaca, if not the best. This place has everything: you want the traditional tortas, tacos and tortillas of Oaxaca, they have it. You want a meal that is so damn good it challenges the Peninsula hotels worldwide, they have it. There is a new chef working with Hector who has revolutionised, in my opinion, the types of food you can make from local ingredients. Although he specialises in fish (at least when I was in Oaxaca), he asks everyone if they have particular food restrictions and works around that. I went there with a friend who was gluten, soy and lactose intolerant, heavily allergic to eggs and was a vegan. He made a meal that was so damn good I ended up eating part of her plate! Definitively a find to keep, with prices that are really worth it!

1  Thank Capucine C
Reviewed 28 March 2014

Was looking for another restaurant and ended up speaking with the manager. He ended up selling me on the place---the new format/owner is 2 months old and they basically are working to make it farm to table style using all local, fresh and seasonal ingredients. I had very personal service, and ensured a unique, local meal---which I did! Since I was dining alone, he made sure to give me a taste of a few dishes...ended up being a 3 course meal! Great price as well. I recommend this place!

3  Thank Melissa L
Reviewed 6 February 2014

Hector is amazing! He makes you feel like you are in a friend's house or maybe you have lived in Oaxaca all your life.

The second floor is mezcal storage. Ask him for something special. All the food is great.

2  Thank Josh K
Reviewed 6 February 2014

I've been living in Oaxaca for a month now and this is the first place to take me in. The new owner, Hector, is changing the menu with a cool young che. You can just sit down, order something to drink, and he'll bring food out until you say stop.

The slow cooked pork leg (chamorro) is incredible. You get it in the carnitas and you can order it whole, too.

1  Thank Yeslev